Share this @internewscast.com

Vice Media Group plans to lay off hundreds of employees and stop publishing on its flagship news website, the company’s chief executive said in a memo to employees Thursday — a stunning setback for a digital media pioneer that ascended to cultural prominence more than a decade ago.

“It is no longer cost-effective for us to distribute our digital content the way we have done previously,” Vice CEO Bruce Dixon said in the memo, which was seen by NBC News. Vice Media did not immediately respond to emails requesting comment on Thursday’s news.

Dixon added that the company would now “look to partner with established media companies to distribute our digital content, including news, on their global platforms, as we fully transition to a studio model.”

Refinery29, the company’s women’s lifestyle brand, will continue to operate as a “standalone diversified digital publishing business,” Dixon said, though executives are in “advanced discussions to sell this business, and we are continuing with that process.” (Vice acquired Refinery29 in 2019.)

“With this strategic shift comes the need to realign our resources and streamline our overall operations at Vice,” Dixon wrote in the memo. “Regrettably, this means that we will be reducing our workforce, eliminating several hundred positions.” 

In the early 2010s, Vice was considered one of the hottest brands in digital media, known for its brash journalistic style and far-reaching commercial ambitions. In its heyday, coinciding with a period of low interest rates, Vice was an insurgent empire that included a news website, an entertainment studio, an HBO series, a cable TV channel and an in-house marketing agency.

The company’s cultural rise mirrored that of BuzzFeed and Vox, pointing to a future media landscape anchored by digital-first startups and millennial tastes. The news division was known for dispatching correspondents to countries such as Ukraine and Venezuela, where they reported on conflicts with a guerrilla aesthetic that contrasted sharply with traditional TV news.

Vice’s leaders set out to supersede the old-guard corporate titans, though they eventually drew hundreds of millions in investment from legacy heavy-hitters such as Disney and Fox.

The Brooklyn-based company struggled to turn a profit, however, and executives started laying off waves of employees and cut costs over the last few years. The company emerged from bankruptcy last year under a new owner, Fortress Investment Group, which reportedly failed to find a buyer for the embattled enterprise.

Vice is not the only media operation facing dire straits.

In recent months, amid a cratering advertising market and rising competition from platforms like TikTok, several news organizations have been hit by severe layoffs. The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, CNN, ABC News and BuzzFeed News are among the outlets that have cut staff members in the last year, stoking anxiety about the future of the industry.

Vice got its start in Montreal in the 1990s as an alternative punk publication co-founded by Gavin McInnes, a provocateur who went on to found the Proud Boys, a neo-fascist militant organization closely aligned with the American far right. The original magazine’s other co-founders were Suroosh Alvi and Shane Smith.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Kremlin slams claims it killed top Putin critic Navalny

Kremlin Denies Involvement in Alleged Plot Against Putin Critic Navalny

The Kremlin has dismissed allegations from multiple European countries and the widow…
Illinois district where faculty celebrated Charlie Kirk's death exposed over racial 'segregation' plan

Controversy Erupts in Illinois School District: Racial Segregation Plan Unveiled Following Faculty’s Charlie Kirk Death Celebration

EXCLUSIVE FROM FOX: An Illinois school district has come under fire after…
Hamas used emojis as code for launching Oct. 7 assault: IDF claims

IDF Alleges Hamas Utilized Emojis as Coded Signals for October 7 Assault

On Monday, the Israel Defense Forces’ Military Censor revealed that the Hamas…
Students turn on Visalia high schoolers caught in homophobic display

Visalia High School Students Face Backlash Over Homophobic Incident

A group of high school seniors in California is facing potential disciplinary…
Iran operating secret ‘black box’ sites holding thousands in detention: reports

Reports Uncover Hidden Sites Detaining Thousands in Iran

Reports have emerged that tens of thousands of Iranians are being detained…
Teen killed after protecting friends in 'senseless' shootout as locals raise alarm over rising crime in Bronx

Tragedy in the Bronx: Teen Hero Fatally Shot Protecting Friends Amidst Alarming Crime Surge

A teenager has been taken into custody following a tragic shooting incident…
Elon Musk's Starlink crackdown cripples attacks on Ukraine as Russian casualty rates soar

Elon Musk’s Starlink Restrictions Impact Ukrainian Efforts Amid Rising Russian Casualties

WASHINGTON — Elon Musk’s SpaceX has taken decisive action against Russia by…
Trump threatens kidnappers with death penalty if Nancy Guthrie isn't returned alive

Trump Warns of Death Penalty for Kidnappers; Demands Safe Return of Nancy Guthrie

WASHINGTON — In a decisive statement on Monday, President Trump demanded the…
Trump says Board of Peace will discuss how to use $5B raised for Gaza projects: 'Haven't decided yet'

Trump Announces Board of Peace Deliberations on Allocation of $5 Billion for Gaza Initiatives: ‘Decision Pending

WASHINGTON — President Trump announced on Monday that $5 billion in pledges…
Christian mother, teacher found dead as police hunt homicide suspect in Ohio home invasion

Tragic Ohio Home Invasion: Christian Mother and Teacher Found Dead, Police Intensify Search for Homicide Suspect

A tragic incident has unfolded in Ohio, where a mother of two…
Cleveland Browns safety Ronnie Hickman jumped by group outside trendy Lower East Side hotel

Cleveland Browns’ Ronnie Hickman Involved in Incident Near Popular Lower East Side Hotel

Ronnie Hickman, a safety for the Cleveland Browns, found himself the victim…
Kendall County Sheriff's Office investigating after girl shot in Palomino Lane home, male found dead in unincorp. Oswego Twp.

Tragic Incident in Kendall County: Girl Injured, Man Found Dead in Oswego Township Shooting Investigation

Kendall County, Illinois, finds itself at the center of a chilling investigation…