Gaza ministry reports at least 35 killed in strike that hit civilian tents in Rafah
Share this @internewscast.com

Nearly three dozen people were killed Sunday night in Rafah in southern Gaza in an Israeli airstrike that hit an area where internally displaced civilians were reportedly sheltering in tents, Palestinian health officials said.

The Gaza Health Ministry reported at least 35 people died, the majority being women and children, in the strike on the Tal al-Sultan neighborhood. The Palestine Red Crescent Society warned that the number of casualties may rise, as many people were trapped in flames that erupted following the bombardment.

“It is important to note that this location was designated by the Israeli occupation as a humanitarian area, and citizens were coerced into evacuating to it,” the humanitarian and medical aid group said.

Médecins Sans Frontières, known as Doctors Without Borders in English, said at least 15 dead and dozens of injured people were taken to a trauma stabilization point it supports.

“We are horrified by this deadly event, which shows once again that nowhere is safe,” the organization said. “We continue to call for an immediate and sustained ceasefire in Gaza.”

Video shared to social media and verified by NBC News showed a tent area engulfed in flames as screaming Palestinians fled for safety and civil defense crews worked to extinguish the blaze.

One video showed a seemingly unconscious man being dragged by his feet out of a walled area. Two men who pulled him out then walked back into the flames, seemingly to find more people.

Other videos showed disturbing images, including severely burned corpses and a man holding what appeared to be the headless body of a small child. 

The Israel Defense Forces said the strike targeted two Hamas leaders who it said were responsible for organizing terrorist attacks in the occupied West Bank area. It said that it was aware of reports that civilian tents were ignited in the strike and that the incident was “under review.”

“The strike was carried out against legitimate targets under international law,” the IDF said in a statement, adding that it used “precise munitions” based on “precise intelligence that indicated Hamas’ use of the area.”

In a statement, Hamas described the strike as a horrific “massacre.” It did not confirm the death of the commander or the senior leader.

Earlier Sunday, Hamas’ military wing, Al-Qassam Brigades, announced a missile barrage in response to what it called the “Zionist massacres against civilians.” The IDF said that eight projectiles were identified crossing from the area of Rafah into Israeli territory and that the IDF Aerial Defense Array intercepted a number of projectiles.

An NBC News journalist witnessed one of those interceptions after sirens warning people of incoming fire sounded in Israel for the first time in several weeks. There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage in the area.

The International Court of Justice, a United Nations body, ordered Israel to stop its military assault on Rafah on Friday, citing the “immediate risk” to Palestinians in the border city. In his ruling, Judge Nawaf Salam, president of the ICJ, said Israel had failed to sufficiently address and dispel concerns raised by its offensive.

Before Israel escalated operations in Rafah this month, more than 1 million civilians were believed to be sheltering in the city after it was designated a safe zone earlier in the war. The ICJ ruling said that at least 800,000 people were forced to flee the area this month but that many more remain.

An Israeli official told NBC News on Friday that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was meeting with legal advisers to review the ruling. The ruling, which the ICJ has no power to enforce, is unlikely to stop Israel’s actions, with Netanyahu’s government having previously condemned the case brought by South Africa.

Netanyahu has faced increasing scrutiny internationally and domestically over how Israel is conducting the war, which launched after the Oct. 7 Hamas-led attack. Officials estimated 1,200 people were killed; around 250 others were taken hostage, and about half of them are thought to still be captive in Gaza. Around a quarter of the remaining hostages are believed to be dead.

More than 35,000 people have been killed in Gaza over the last seven months of war, according to local health authorities. Aid groups have warned of catastrophic conditions for civilians who lack access to food and clean water, causing rampant spread of disease and famine in some areas of the enclave.

Netanyahu and other senior Israeli leaders have vowed to continue the war until Hamas has been eliminated and all of the hostages are brought home. A group of family members has urged the government to agree to a hostage release deal with Hamas.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Case Closed on Death Cause of Yankees Legend Brett Gardner’s Son Following Toxicology Report

Costa Rican authorities have confirmed once and for all that Brett Gardner’s…

Investors Abandon U.S. Stocks Amid Turmoil Over Trump’s Tariff Proposal

Global markets reacted sharply and swiftly after President Donald Trump revealed his…

‘Gilmore Girls’ Creator Amy Sherman-Palladino Discusses Chances of Series Revival: “Anything’s Possible”

No, it’s not snow, it’s the smell of fresh hope in the…

Understanding the Impact of Trump’s New 25% Auto Tariffs on Investors.

DETROIT — President Donald Trump’s 25% tariffs on imported vehicles to the U.S. have taken…

Apple Martin, Gwyneth Paltrow’s Daughter, Addresses Criticism After ‘Mean Girl’ Controversy

Gwyneth Paltrow’s daughter Apple Martin has broken her silence on the ‘really…

The Rise and Fall of a Top Gun Icon: Val Kilmer’s Seduction of Hollywood’s Leading Beauties and His Troubled Reputation with Directors – A Piece by CHRISTOPHER STEVENS

The polite word is ‘perfectionist’ but most people in Hollywood simply called…

Bodega Cats Bring Joy to New Yorkers Despite Breaking State Rules

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City’s “bodega cats” are beloved fixtures…

Top Actor Makes Stunning Transformation into Killer Alex Murdaugh in First Footage of New Drama

Acclaimed actor Jason Clarke looked unrecognizable as he transformed into family killer Alex Murdaugh…

Russia Condemns Trump’s Threats to Bomb Iran as ‘Unlawful and Unacceptable’

Russia is pushing back against President Donald Trump’s threats to bomb Iran,…

The Troubling Prison Behavior of Father Suspected in Children’s Deaths Amid Claims of ‘Serpent DNA’

Matthew Taylor Coleman, the California father accused of killing his two children…

Hungary Announces Withdrawal from International Criminal Court During Visit by Israeli PM Netanyahu

Hungary is pulling out from the International Criminal Court (ICC), a decision…

Lithuania Honors Four Fallen U.S. Soldiers Killed in Training Exercise

VILNIUS, Lithuania — A procession carrying the coffins of four American soldiers…