Jude Bellingham, Tajon Buchanan
Share this @internewscast.com

Carlo Ancelotti has claimed that Real Madrid will refuse to play future games that kick off less than 72 hours after their previous outing, having had minimal rest between the midweek Champions League clash with city rivals Atletico and Saturday’s La Liga win over Villarreal.

Only 67 hours had passed between the end of Wednesday night’s penalty shootout and kick-off at Estadio de la Ceramica. On Saturday evening, a statement from the Spanish Footballers’ Association called it “essential” for players to have “at least 72 hours” rest between games.

Ancelotti has previously hit out at an overly congested playing schedule, with increased Champions League demands and the introduction of an extended FIFA Club World Cup this season.

“I think today is the last game we will play with less than 72 hours rest,” he said. “We will never do it again. We have asked La Liga twice to change the time of the game and nothing has happened, but this is the last time.”

The Athletic has reported via La Liga sources that Madrid did not make a request about the Villarreal game before the schedule was confirmed on 25 February, which is the expected protocol.

Jude Bellingham, Tajon BuchananJude Bellingham, Tajon Buchanan

Real Madrid faced Villarreal after less than the recommended rest period / Aitor Alcalde/GettyImages

In Spain, COPE explained that club executive Emilio Butragueno spoke with league officials twice, the first not until after the schedule was published and the second following Wednesday’s Champions League marathon.

La Liga disputes that, claiming Saturday was the first time any complaint over the scheduling of the Villarreal game had been made. The league believes that other scheduling requests that have been made in good time and ahead of deadlines have been granted. It has also always been the case that there have been two full days between matches.

Madrid are back in action next Saturday night when Leganes visit the Bernabeu, followed only 71 hours later by Tuesday night’s decisive Copa del Rey semi-final second leg against Real Sociedad.

But La Liga president Javier Tebas has hit out at Madrid’s accusations, alleging that Butragueno requested the Leganes game (rather than the Villarreal match) be played later in the day than originally planned. That was to give players returning from international duty more time, but also therefore cutting into their post-Leganes rest period.

“Carlo, surely Emilio will have told you that La Liga had put the game with Leganes on Saturday at 16:15 to give you more rest before the semi-final against Real Sociedad,” Tebas posted on X.

“But Emilio asked the director of competitions of La Liga to change it to 21:00 – surely with your knowledge and authorisation, I imagine – to benefit those who came from the FIFA date. And now we have less than 72 hours between the final whistle of Saturday’s game and the start of Tuesday’s semi-final! May the best qualify for the final !! Greetings (To be continued …)”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Man Utd Forms ‘Friendship Pact’ with Striker in Discussions with Arsenal

The “friendship pact” between Manchester United’s head coach Ruben Amorim and Viktor…

Jules Kounde alerts Barcelona about his choice regarding the Chelsea transfer

Barcelona are confident they won’t face challenges in securing a new long-term…

Arne Slot Advises Liverpool Players That Dedication is Key Ahead of Upcoming Clash with Everton

It felt like the first day back at school after half-term as…

46,000 Fans Attend Training Session, 400 Police Officers Deployed, and a Ballboy Incident Occurs – A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Seville Derby by Mail Sport

To really understand the magnitude of the Seville derby you need to…

Edoardo Bove’s teammate shares terrifying moment Fiorentina player collapsed from cardiac arrest: ‘I was staring into the eyes of a lifeless person’

Fiorentina star Robin Gosens has opened up on the terrifying moment his…

For victims of the Celtic Boys Club sexual abuse scandal, the journey to justice has been arduous and heartbreaking, but finally, some validation has been achieved.

The road to justice has been long, painful and insufferably cruel for…

Aston Villa Provides Latest on Permanent Deal for Manchester United Striker

Aston Villa manager Unai Emery has insisted no decision has been made…