Myanmar earthquake UPDATES: Families forced to ‘cremate bodies in street’ as deadly quake toll hits 1,700
Share this @internewscast.com

Death Toll Predicted to Rise Significantly

Welcome back to our ongoing coverage of the aftermath following the devastating Myanmar earthquake. This disaster has claimed the lives of at least 1,700 individuals, injured over 3,400 more, and led to at least 300 being reported as missing.

Here are the latest updates:

  • Myanmar’s ruling junta said in a statement Sunday afternoon that about 1,700 people were confirmed dead so far, about 3,400 injured and around 300 more missing.
  • The true scale of the disaster remains unclear in the isolated military-ruled state, and the toll is expected to rise significantly.
  • Much of the rescue effort is being conducted by residents removing rubble by hand as many of the worst-hit areas have still not been reached by official agencies.
A general view of a building that collapsed, in the aftermath of a strong earthquake, in Mandalay, Myanmar, March 30, 2025. REUTERS/Stringer
One of the buildings that collapsed in the aftermath of the earthquake in Mandalay

We are pausing our live coverage for now

Head to thesun.co.uk/news/worldnews/ for more of our world stories.

UK gives £10million in aid to Myanmar

The UK government has pledged a £10million “life-saving aid” package to Myanmar.

Efforts are concentrated on supporting humanitarian aid in “the most severely affected regions of the earthquake,” with a primary emphasis on providing essentials like food, water, medical supplies, and shelter.

Baroness Jennifer Chapman, the minister of state for development, stated: “The UK is providing immediate, life-saving aid to Myanmar’s people in the wake of the catastrophic earthquake.”

“UK-funded local partners are already mobilising a humanitarian response on the ground, and this £10 million package will bolster their efforts.

“I offer my deepest sympathies to the people of Myanmar after this tragic event.”

Rebel group announces ceasefire in Myanmar

Myanmar’s rebel group and shadow National Unity Government, which has been fighting against the ruling military, has announced a partial ceasefire to facilitate earthquake relief efforts.

An announcement issued Saturday night said its armed wing, the People’s Defense Force (PDF), will implement a two-week pause in offensive military operations starting Sunday in earthquake-affected areas.

It said it would collaborate with the UN and non-governmental organizations to ensure security, transportation, and the establishment of temporary rescue and medical camps in the areas it controls.

Horror satellite pictures reveal the extent of damage

A satellite picture released by Maxar Technologies on March 29 shows collapsed and destroyed shacks and buildings in Mandalay, Myanmar.

Another image shows the collapsed Inwa Bridge over the Irrawaddy River near Mandalay.

Credit: AFP
Credit: AFP
Credit: AFP

Death toll rises to 1,644

Myanmar’s ruling military said Saturday on state television that the confirmed death toll from a devastating 7.7 magnitude earthquake rose to 1,644, as more bodies were pulled from the rubble of the scores of buildings that collapsed when it struck near the country’s second-largest city.

The new total is a sharp rise compared to the 1,002 total announced just hours earlier, underlining the difficulty of confirming casualties over a widespread region and the likelihood that the numbers will continue to grow from Friday’s quake.

The number of injured increased to 3,408, while the missing figure rose to 139.

Rescue efforts are underway, especially in the major stricken cities of Mandalay, the country’s second major city, and Naypyitaw, the capital.

But even though teams and equipment have been flown in from other nations, they are hindered by the airports in those cities being damaged and apparently unfit to land planes.

Credit: AP
Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Carrie Coon Declined ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Role Over Pay Dispute, According to Husband Tracy Letts

Billboard Women in Music 2025 Carrie Coon could have reprised her Marvel…

British Addiction Drama ‘Sessions’ by Hyprr Films Begins Production

Billboard Women in Music 2025 Cameras have started rolling on Sessions, a…

Appeals Court Halts DOGE’s Attempt to Obtain Social Security Information

An appeals court has halted the Department of Government Efficiency from accessing…

Truck Collides with Building and Pedestrians in Boston, Injuring At Least 6

The Boston Fire Department, on social media, said the Penske truck struck…

Suspect Sought in Home Invasion and Shooting Incident

Delaware State Police Detectives are actively investigating a shooting that occurred in…

Akron Police Investigate Shooting of Toddler, Detain Teen Suspect

Akron police say the child was transported to an area hospital where…

Brad Pitt, 61, Faces Challenges in Relationship with Ines de Ramon, 32, While Filming in New Zealand with Anna Lambe

Brad Pitt has been shooting the movie Heart Of The Beast in New…

Jim Cramer of CNBC Warns That New Trump Tariffs Could Seriously Harm the Economy

Billboard Women in Music 2025 “Speaking as someone who’s not a fan…

5 Effective Self-Care Tips to Alleviate GERD Symptoms and Relieve Heartburn Discomfort

Feeling the discomfort of heartburn can interfere with everyday activities, so it’s…

Brandon Finkelstein from CAA TV Becomes a Part of Drew Comins’ Creative Engine Entertainment Team

Billboard Women in Music 2025 EXCLUSIVE: Television agent Brandon Finkelstein is leaving…

Julia Stiles, Alex Moffat, David Cross, Stephen Root & More Complete Filming of Kevin Cate’s Indie Comedy ‘Unbearable Christmas’

Billboard Women in Music 2025 EXCLUSIVE: Indie filmmaker Kevin Cate has wrapped…

Blake Lively Fans Disappointed by Controversial Donut PR Stunt

Blake Lively is being called out for a ‘disgusting’ mistake she made…