NASA's SpaceX Crew-9 astronauts Suni Williams, Butch Wilmore say they would fly on Boeing's Starliner capsule again
Share this @internewscast.com

HOUSTON, Texas — NASA’s celebrity astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams said Monday that they hold themselves partly responsible for what went wrong on their space sprint-turned-marathon and would fly on Boeing’s Starliner again.

SpaceX recently ferried the duo home after more than nine months at the International Space Station, filling in for Boeing that returned to Earth without them last year.

In their first news conference since coming home, the pair said they were taken aback by all the interest and insisted they were only doing their job and putting the mission ahead of themselves and even their families.

Wilmore didn’t shy from accepting some of the blame for Boeing’s bungled test flight.

READ MORE: After 9 months on board ISS, NASA astronauts to return home: A timeline

SpaceX Crew heads ISS to relieve astronauts who have been there for an unexpected 9 months

“I’ll start and point the finger and I’ll blame me. I could have asked some questions and the answers to those questions could have turned the tide,” he told reporters. “All the way up and down the chain. We all are responsible. We all own this.”

Both astronauts said they would strap into Starliner again. “Because we’re going to rectify all the issues that we encountered. We’re going to fix it. We’re going to make it work,” Wilmore said.

Williams noted that Starliner has “a lot of capability” and she wants to see it succeed.

The longtime astronauts and retired Navy captains ended up spending 286 days in space – 278 days more than planned when they blasted off on Boeing’s first astronaut flight on June 5. The test pilots had to intervene in order for the Starliner capsule to reach the space station, as thrusters failed and helium leaked.

Their space station stay kept getting extended as engineers debated how to proceed. NASA finally judged Starliner too dangerous to bring Wilmore and Williams back and transferred them to SpaceX. But the launch of their replacements got stalled, stretching their mission beyond nine months.

President Donald Trump urged SpaceX’s Elon Musk to hurry things up, adding politics to the stuck astronauts’ ordeal. The dragged-out drama finally ended on March 18 with a flawless splashdown by SpaceX off the Florida Panhandle.

NASA said engineers still do not understand why Starliner’s thrusters malfunctioned; more tests are planned through the summer. If engineers can figure out the thruster and leak issues, “Starliner is ready to go,” Wilmore said.

The space agency may require another test flight – with cargo – before allowing astronauts to climb aboard. That redo could come by year’s end.

Despite Starliner’s rocky road, NASA officials said they stand behind the decision made years ago to have two competing U.S. companies providing taxi service to and from the space station. But time is running out: The space station is set to be abandoned in five years and replaced in orbit by privately operated labs.

Copyright © 2025 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Cherished Alaskan Reindeer Put Down After Possible Poisoning Due to Pen Tampering

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — An iconic pet reindeer beloved by many in Alaska’s…

SNL Crew Speaks Out: The Real Story Behind Morgan Wallen’s Backstage Outburst and What Caused His Sudden Departure

Furious Saturday Night Live insiders have broken their silence about Morgan Wallen’s ‘bad…

My Mom Revealed My Stepfather’s Heart-Wrenching Betrayal, Leading to a Tragic Turn in the Car

Those who witnessed the shooting that afternoon would recall it as a…

California resident set to admit guilt in plot to assassinate Justice Kavanaugh

The individual charged with orchestrating a plot to murder Supreme Court Justice…

Jose Gregorio Gonzalez, a kidney donor, detained by ICE, aims to save his brother, Jose Alfredo Pacheco, from Berwyn, Illinois

BERWYN, Ill. — A man with 100% kidney failure is fighting to…

Four Suspects Apprehended Following Fatal Shooting in Floresville, Police Report

FLORESVILLE, Texas – Four men were arrested in connection with a deadly…

Chicago Comedian Leah Eva Experiences Heart Attack: Urges Public to Recognize Signs of Cardiac Arrest | ABC7 Exclusive

CHICAGO (WLS) — A Chicago comedian’s near-death experience is no laughing matter.…

Karen Schepers Case: Family Expresses Gratitude to Community for Cracking 1983 Elgin Cold Case: ‘Miracles Do Happen’

ELGIN, Ill. (WLS) — The family of Karen Schepers is speaking out…

Mika and Joe’s Ill-Fated Trip to Mar-a-Lago Continues to Backfire

MSNBC’s ‘Morning Joe’ lost in the sought-after 25-54 demographic to CNN’s ‘News Central’…

Boston District Attorney Weighs Filing Charges Against ICE Agent for Arresting Undocumented Immigrant During Court Trial

A district attorney in Massachusetts is contemplating pressing criminal charges against a…

Three Young Men in South Carolina Arrested for Allegedly Causing Wildfire by Failing to Extinguish Cigarettes

Three young men in South Carolina have been detained for allegedly causing…

Charges Dropped Against Man Accused by Nancy Mace of Capitol Assault

Prosecutors this week decided not to pursue an assault charge against a…