Inside a scam centre fleecing Aussies of millions
Share this @internewscast.com

The Australian Federal Police has offered people a literal look inside the operations of a cyber scam boiler room, after AFP experts joined their counterparts in the Philippines in a repurposed scam centre that now trains police to crack down on cyber criminals.

Scams are a significant problem for Australians. In 2024, Scamwatch received 249,448 scam reports totalling more than $318 million.

These offshore scam centres, or “boiler rooms”, are set up by organised crime networks, which recruit hundreds of people to target and defraud victims.

AFP experts have joined forces with their Philippines counterparts to crack down on offshore scam centres. (AFP/PAOCC)

But from the outside, they look like your eveyrday corporate office.

The AFP International Network has liaison officers based throughout Asia, including the Philippines, Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar, who work with law enforcement agencies to disrupt, dismantle and prosecute those involved in scam centres, and deliver training throughout the region.

Two AFP cybercrime experts have now deployed to support AFP Philippines to deliver critical cybercrime training to law enforcement partners.

Scammers cost Australians more than $300 million last year. (AFP/PAOCC)

Participants in the first five-day intensive workshop included members from the Presidential Anti-Organised Crime Commission (PAOCC), National Bureau of Investigation Cyber Crime Division and Special Taskforce, and the Philippines National Police Anti-Cybercrime Group.

It was hosted by the PAOCC and held in a former scam hub, recently repurposed into government offices.

The commercial scam hub kitchen also has been transformed and used by the “Walang Gutom” food stamp program, an initiative launched by the first lady of the Philippines and the Philippine Social Welfare and Development Department, that serves up to 700 meals a day to homeless and underprivileged children.

Electronic devices seized by authorities. (AFP/PAOCC)

Since its launch in August 2024, AFP’s Operation Firestorm has supported the disruption of three scam centres in Manila.

Authorities have arrested hundreds of alleged offenders and seized and extracted evidence from thousands of electronic devices such as mobile phones, SIM cards, and computers.

The AFP was able to identify more than 5000 Australian mobile users in one case linked to end-to-end encryption messages located on the seized devices. Then in partnership with Australian National Anti-Scam Centre (NASC), the AFP sent text messages and emails to those users to warn they could be potential targets of a deceptive romance scam and cryptocurrency scam.
Online shoppers are being urged to be extra vigilant of cyber criminals ramping up fake text messages to scam unwitting Australian victims ahead of one of the biggest global retail sales events of the year.

Can you pick the Black Friday scam text message?

“To stop scams at their roots, we must target and disrupt scam centre boiler rooms fuelling their growth and outreach. Our priority is to protect Australians and their savings, from being defrauded by scammers wherever they may be in the world,” AFP Commander of Cybercrime Operations Graeme Marshall said.

“The AFP will continue to work alongside Philippine law enforcement as well as law enforcement agencies across Southeast Asia in the shared fight against online fraud and scams, further demonstrating the value of international cooperation in addressing this ever-evolving threat.”

PAOCC Undersecretary Gilberto DC Cruz said the training provided by AFP “empowered” Philippines law enforcers.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

MMA Event Called Off Due to Concerns of Gang-Related Threat Against UFC Fighter

An MMA event in Sydney later this month has been called off…

Father Attends Job Interview, Leaving 3 Children at McDonald’s: Police Report

Inset: Chris Louis (Augusta Police Dept.). Background: The McDonald’s where Louis allegedly…

Denver Man’s Family Seeks Justice Two Years After His Murder

LAKEWOOD, Colo. — The family of James “Jay” Montoya is continuing their…

Cruel Husband Who Kept Wife Captive Gets 12-Year Prison Sentence

An entitled husband who made his wife a prisoner in their home…

Understanding Serial Killers: Psychology, Profiling, and Prevention Strategies

This podcast series, composed of three segments, delves into the evolution of…

Suspected Online Searches Result in Jail Time for Baby’s Harm

Left to right: Shona Hochsprung and Alexander Ransom (Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office).…

Deputy Accused of Assaulting Mentally Ill Inmate Who Later Passed Away

Background: A news report featuring a video of Anthony Mitchell while in…

Former Assistant U.S. Attorneys Claim Ed Martin Lacks Qualifications for DC Prosecutor Position

FILE – Ed Martin addresses an event hosted by Rep. Matt Gaetz,…

Father Allegedly Exploits 3-Year-Old Son’s Death to Scam Friends Out of $1.3 Million

A Sydney man has been accused of using his three-year-old son’s accidental…

Exclusive Breaking Video: Suspect Accused of Loading Body of Teen Lured Online

When Miranda Corsette loses both parents, she moves in with her grandmother…

Orlando Mitchell Receives Sentence for the Murder of Krystal Walton

Insets, from left: Krystal Walton, (WXIN) Marion County Sheriff’s Deputy John Durm…

British Couple Identified in Suspected Murder-Suicide Case in New Zealand

The UK couple found dead in a suspected murder-suicide in New Zealand…