‘No tip for illegal’: Customers leave racist note for server
Share this @internewscast.com

(KTLA) – A restaurant server who works in the Los Angeles International Airport was rattled after two customers left him a racist message at the top of their receipt.

“No tip for illegal,” read the handwritten note. “Go back to Mexico.”

Guillermo Ortiz, who works at the Planet Hollywood in the Tom Bradley International Terminal, said it was toward the end of his shift on March 21 when he waited on the couple.

“Twenty minutes after [they left], I opened the checkbook and I found the message, and it made me feel bad,” recounted Ortiz. “I’m not even Mexican, I’m Puerto Rican, but my wife is Mexican – there’s no right to treat people like that.”

Ortiz told Nexstar’s KTLA that he thought everything had been going just fine with the two customers until he brought out their check.

“The way they were looking at me, you can tell when something is not right,” said Ortiz.

An 18.5% gratuity was already included in the bill, but, as stated at the bottom of the receipt, a customer can remove the tip if they are not satisfied with leaving that amount – which is what Ortiz said was done.

But then, when Ortiz opened the checkbook, instead of any tip amount, he saw the hurtful, hate-filled message.

“I’ve been working as a server since 2014, and this is the first time this has happened to me,” said Ortiz.

The couple was already gone when Ortiz saw the note, and since they paid in cash, there was no trail left behind to track them down.

“Probably ’cause they saw me, they know I’m Hispanic, they thought I’m Mexican or illegal or I don’t know what they’re thinking,” said Ortiz.

Ortiz said he thinks the current political rhetoric on immigration has emboldened this type of behavior.

“This is happening because of what’s happening with President [Donald] Trump right now,” said Ortiz. “I think that’s the reason people are acting like this.”

Despite whatever the customers intended by leaving that note, Ortiz said it does not diminish the work he does.

“I’m proud of what I do,” said Ortiz. “I’m a server; that’s the way I support my kids, that’s the way I support my family.”

Ortiz said he reported the incident to his management and that corporate is looking into it, but that, regardless, he will unfortunately be unemployed by Saturday when that Planet Hollywood location closes for good.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Teddi Mellencamp Shares Emotional Update as Doctors Find Six New Brain Tumors

Teddi Mellencamp has revealed she now has stage four cancer after six…

North Dakota Mayor’s Humorous Justification for Sending Inappropriate Video to Staffer as He Resigns in Shame

The mayor of one of North Dakota’s largest cities was forced to…

Incidents Involving Tesla Surge Past 50 as Aggression Against Musk’s Company Increases

The tally of documented assaults on Tesla cars, showrooms, and charging facilities…

American Airlines Jet Engulfed in Smoke During Landing, Passengers Urgently Evacuate

An American Airlines plane filled with smoke shortly after it landed, forcing…

Arlington Heights Election Outcome: Trustee Jim Tinaglia Elected as Mayor, Comments on Potential Chicago Bears Stadium

ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill. (WLS) — Arlington Heights architect and 12-year village Trustee…

“Heartland’ Season 18 U.S. Release: Find Out When New Episodes Premiere on UP Faith & Family”

If you’re trying to figure out when and where to watch the…

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Identified as Cause of Death for Miller Gardner, Son of Former Yankees Outfielder Brett Gardner

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica — Carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of…

US Military Base and 4,000 Troops Face Total Annihilation if Trump Attacks Iran, State Media Warns; Details Tehran’s Potential Use of Long-Range Drones

Iran has issued a chilling warning that a key US military base…

SNL Crew Speaks Out: The Real Story Behind Morgan Wallen’s Backstage Outburst and What Caused His Sudden Departure

Furious Saturday Night Live insiders have broken their silence about Morgan Wallen’s ‘bad…

Trump’s Treasury Chief Delivers Harsh Six-Word Warning to Nations Eyeing Tariff Retaliation

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent warned America’s trading partners that ‘doing anything rash…

“Awkward Moment: Khloé Kardashian Watches Kim Take a Bath in a Tin Tub During Their Camping Trip”

This week’s episode of The Kardashians offers viewers quite a spectacle as…

End of De Minimis Trade Loophole to Impact Chinese Online Retailers Starting May 2

President Donald Trump on Wednesday signed an executive order shutting the de minimis trade…