Netanyahu accuses Israeli police of trying to 'topple' his government
Share this @internewscast.com

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused Israeli police of attempting a “political witch hunt” to “topple” his government. In a video statement released on Monday, Netanyahu asserted that the police lacked evidence against the two aides who were detained.

Netanyahu was called on Monday to provide testimony as part of a continuing investigation into purported financial links between his office and Qatar. The prime minister stated he was interrogated for an hour before he requested to see evidence, which he claimed did not exist.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gives a statement on Tuesday, March 18, 2025, in Tel Aviv, Israel. (Israeli Government Press Office via AP)

The Jerusalem Post reported on Tuesday that its editor-in-chief, Zivka Klein, was interrogated by police associated with the Qatar investigation. Klein has previously refuted any ties with Feldstein after an Israeli news outlet alleged that the former Netanyahu aide organized a trip to Qatar for the journalist.

Netanyahu says the probe, often referred to as “Qatargate,” is intended to stop him from firing Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar, who heads the Israeli equivalent of the FBI.

Last month, Netanyahu announced that he would seek to oust Bar over alleged “ongoing distrust.” However, some suspect that it is related to the Shin Bet’s assessment of Oct. 7, which “pointed to a policy led by the government, and the person who has headed it, for years, with emphasis on the year preceding the massacre,” the Times of Israel reported.

Split image of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Shin Bet Director Ronen Bar

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Shin Bet Director Ronen Bar (Reuters)

Bar slammed Netanyahu’s “expectation of a duty of personal loyalty, the purpose of which contradicts the public interest, is a fundamentally illegitimate expectation,” according to the Times of Israel

Israel’s High Court froze Bar’s removal, which was set for April 8, but allowed Netanyahu to interview potential replacements. Netanyahu’s office announced on Monday that he had tapped a former Israeli Navy commander, Vice Adm. Eli Sharvit, to replace Bar.

“Sharvit served in the IDF for 36 years, including five years as commander of the Israel Navy. In that position, he led the force building of the maritime defense of the territorial waters and conducted complex operations against Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran,” Netanyahu’s office tweeted.

Fox News Digital’s Alex Nitzberg and Yonat Friling contributed to this report.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Tom Cruise Speaks Out About Top Gun Co-Star Val Kilmer’s Unexpected Death at 65

Val Kilmer’s heartbreaking final words have been revealed from his final interview…

BCSO persists in probing woman’s stabbing death three weeks after discovery of her body

BEXAR COUNTY, Texas – A 28-year-old woman was stabbed to death, and…

White House Insiders Unveil the Real Story Behind Elon Musk’s DOGE Departure: Trump’s Displeasure and Susie Wiles’ Unyielding Campaign

The White House is furiously pushing back against an explosive report that…

White Lotus Star Carrie Coon Counters Meghan McCain’s Criticism Amid Trump Support Debate

White Lotus star Carrie Coon has clapped back at Meghan McCain amid the…

Florida Officer Fatally Shot During Gun Battle Near Dollar General

A sheriff’s deputy was shot and killed in a shootout with a…

Black Church Wins Trademark Lawsuit Against the Proud Boys, Continuing a Legacy of Civil Rights

WASHINGTON – There is so much history between the walls of Metropolitan…

USA Fencing Expels Female Fencer After She Declines to Compete Against Transgender Opponent

USA Fencing said on Thursday its decision to disqualify a female fencer…

Proposed Ban on Beach-Based Enterprises Leaves Orange Beach Businesses Facing Uncertain Future

ORANGE BEACH, Ala. (WKRG) — From oceanside picnic setups to sandcastle building…

Female Fencer Kneels and Leaves Match, Refusing to Compete Against Transgender Opponent

A female fencer was disqualified from her tournament after taking a knee…

Morgan Wallen Playfully Teases SNL with Funny New Career Move Following Viral “Rude” Walk-Off

Morgan Wallen trolled Saturday Night Live and responded to the criticism he…

Hueytown Community Theatre Set to Launch Inaugural Major Production

HUEYTOWN, Ala. (WIAT) — The Hueytown Community Theatre will debut its first…

Tariff on Chinese Imports Raised to 54%

Goods imported from China will now face a combined total tariff rate…