Asylum seekers lose illegal detention bid in same court as controversial 2023 ruling
Share this @internewscast.com

An attempt to extend the scope of a controversial High Court ruling on immigration detention has failed in the same court, drawing ire from refugee advocates.

Two asylum seekers — from Poland and Vietnam — sought damages after claiming it was illegal for immigration authorities to detain them while their applications for protection visas were being processed.

Both men were taken into detention after they served prison sentences for drug offences committed in Australia.

An attempt to extend the scope of a controversial High Court ruling on immigration detention has failed in the same court. (Getty)

The Administrative Appeals Tribunal found their criminal exploits exposed them to risk of significant harm if they were deported to their home countries.

It ruled the Polish man risked being imprisoned and subjected to harmful treatment if returned home, while the Vietnamese man could be sentenced to the death penalty.

The pair maintained the tribunal’s decision meant they could not be removed from the country which meant their subsequent detention was unconstitutional.

They relied on the 2023 landmark decision in the NZYQ case, which found indefinite immigration detention was illegal if there is no reasonable prospect of the person’s removal from Australia in the foreseeable future.

However, the High Court determined the ruling did not apply if the detention of an illegal non-citizen is limited to what is necessary for visa processing or deportation purposes.

The judges found the men’s detention was mandatory while their protection visas were being processed.

Asylum Seeker Resource Centre principal solicitor Catherine Holbeche said the High Court had failed to recognise “the human consequences of its decision” and its impact on present and past detainees.

“For people seeking asylum, the experience of prolonged detention replicates past trauma, deprivation of rights and liberty from which they fled,” she said.

The decision comes after increased scrutiny on Australia’s immigration detention laws following the impactful NZYQ ruling, which led to the release of 150 immigration detainees with criminal records.

While some had serious criminal convictions, including for murder and rape, others faced less serious charges before being placed in immigration detention.

A number were arrested for allegedly reoffending after their release, sparking fierce public and political backlash.

The Polish and Vietnamese men were not among the freed cohort, but they were released in 2024.

Readers seeking support can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or beyond blue on 1300 22 4636.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Husband Stabs Wife and Infant Son, Then Tries to End Own Life: Police Report

Background: News footage from the Plantation, Florida residence where Sara Ashley Gama…

Police Discover Body Beaten to Death in Freezer Outside Bar

Share copy link Inset: Oscar Rivera-Peraza (Miami-Dade Corrections and Rehabilitation). Background: The…

Suspect with pharmacy vendetta kills Walgreens employee: Police

Insets: Narciso Fernandez and victim Erick Velazquez (KFSN/YouTube). Background: Security footage reportedly…

Trump Pardons Jan. 6 Defendant Involved in Gun and Grenade Case

Left: President Donald Trump delivers remarks during an event celebrating the 2024…

Authorities Continue Search for Florida Woman Who Disappeared Last Year

Authorities from the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office (PBSO) in Florida conducted…

Woman Who Framed Man for Jail Time Receives Her Sentence

Subhead: Anjela Borisova Urumova (Bucks County DA); Scene: The Redner’s supermarket parking…

Coach from Team Summit Colorado’s Youth Ski and Snowboard Program Faces Accusations of Sexual Assault on a 9-Year-Old

A coach with Team Summit Colorado, a youth ski and snowboard program,…

Teen Tragically Killed in Altercation Over Seating at Track Meet, Authorities Report

Background: News coverage of the crime scene at Kuykendall Stadium in Frisco,…

Mother Leaves Newborn in Trash Bag on Porch Before Heading to Hospital

A Georgia woman was criminally charged for allegedly leaving her newborn baby…

Phony Doctor’s Botched Procedure Leaves Woman Brain-Dead: Police Report

Inset: Felipe Hoyos-Foronda (NYPD). Background: The apartment building where Hoyos-Foronda allegedly performed…

“Father-in-law Accuses Daughter-in-law of Being the Killer After Violent Attack”

A woman who bashed her de facto father-in-law and left him for…

Local Dad Celebrated as Hero for Successfully Completing Citizen’s Arrest

An Adelaide father has been hailed a hero after performing a citizen’s…