Clearwater condo residents unable to return as crews stabilize cracked pillar
Share this @internewscast.com

CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) – Crews were at work Wednesday stabilizing and repairing a cracked pillar in a Clearwater Beach condo building.

Residents evacuated the South Beach III condominium building on Sand Key on Tuesday, with construction crews still present the next day.

“They shored up the first floor and the second floor, and then they still have to continue to shore up the entire 12-floor building,” noted Clearwater Fire Division Chief Jevon Graham. “There was a compromised support column.”

The split prompted a massive response on Gulf Boulevard. Sixty people were forced to evacuate, and some residents were carried out on stretchers.

Residents will not be able to return home until the project is complete.

“They needed to install at least 18 struts and 18 shoring mechanisms for the first floor,” explained Graham. “As they continue upward, they ensure stability and that weight is properly supported. Steel struts and beams are used to ensure the column remains intact and that both the floor and roof are stabilized and supported.”

Officials said the crack was discovered amid the condo renovation project to the garage floor.

It’s one of many renovations taking place over recent months.

“Of course it’s scary,” said resident Bruno Polunic. “It’s always scary to see something like that; but thank God everything is OK. Nobody got hurt. Everybody is good.”

Last year, an engineering firm conducted a milestone inspection for the Clearwater Key Association, South Beach III Condominium at 1460 Gulf Boulevard.

The City of Clearwater released the following statement about the recent milestone inspection report conducted by Karins Engineering:

“Those documents were provided to their Community Association in August and September of 2024, and the city does not have record of receiving these required building milestone inspection reports by the Dec. 31, 2024, deadline. Per Florida Statute, buildings 30 years old before July 1, 2022, must have their initial inspection by Dec. 31, 2024, and meet all the statutory requirements in order to be in compliance.”

On Wednesday, city officials received the phase 1 milestone inspection reports that were issued on August 8, 2024, and Sept. 26, 2024.

The report states that the engineer did not observe conditions that would compromise the safety of the building for its intended use and occupancy.

The city issued a permit to a general contractor for temporary shoring. Officials say there will be a threshold inspection to verify the work and to allow occupancy of the building. Additional work will be needed to complete more substantial repairs.

According to officials, the Clearwater Building Official will not allow residents to return to the building until a structural engineer delivers a report with confirmation that the structure is stable and safe to occupy.

Meanwhile, Aurora Donnelly is one of dozens who received evacuation orders.

“What goes through your head is Miami, right? So, I’m running down the stairs saying, ‘Oh my gosh, I hope the building doesn’t fall down,’” Donnelly said.

Support columns in the back of the building were taped off. Leaders with the Clearwater Fire and Rescue Division said construction crews saw a crack in one of the beams, noticed the split was widening and called first responders.

“You have a support column that’s displaced, so it’s probably a couple feet wide, at least. It’s still splitting, and again, it’s one of the main supports for the structure,” Graham said.

The 12-story, 140-unit condo building was constructed in 1980. According to the Clearwater permitting website, the structure was inspected last May.

“It’s a very inconvenient thing, but they were able to evacuate the building in time, nobody got hurt and nobody will get hurt. I strongly believe the engineers, the fire department and police are doing the right things,” said resident David Zusman said.

The Red Cross is assisting displaced residents. Graham said there isn’t a clear timeline for repairs and that residents likely won’t be able to return until structural engineers give the “all clear.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Two Middle Tennessee Entrepreneurs Among Four Victims in Colorado Plane Crash

Authorities have confirmed the identities of the four victims who perished when…

Tennessee Lawmakers Advocate for Tax Relief: Waiving Hotel Occupancy Taxes for Displaced Families

In the aftermath of Middle Tennessee’s unprecedented ice storm, the Wear family…

Firefighters Battle Expanding 31-Acre Wildfire on Clinch Mountain in Grainger County

BLAINE, Tenn. (WATE) — Over the weekend, firefighters battled a wildfire that…

Four Young Victims Hurt in Parramore Neighborhood Shooting, Police Report

ORLANDO, Fla. – A shooting incident near downtown Orlando on Sunday afternoon…

Heroic Volusia Deputy Saves Woman from DeLand House Fire: A Life-Saving Act of Bravery

DeLAND, Fla. – In a dramatic rescue caught on bodycam footage, a…

Rubio and Orbán Convene in Budapest Ahead of US-Hungary Civilian Nuclear Agreement Signing

BUDAPEST – On Monday, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrived in…

PHOTO GALLERY: Intense 4-Alarm Fire, Ignited by Brush Blaze, Engulfs Osceola County Business

OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. – A fierce four-alarm fire tore through a business…

FBI Links DNA from Glove Found Near Guthrie Residence to Suspect

In a development that has left authorities working around the clock, investigators…

Live Radar Update: What Central Florida Residents Need to Know About the Increased Severe Storm Threat

ORLANDO, Fla. – The eagerly anticipated Daytona 500 was able to cross…