US and China agree to pause sky-high tariffs for 90 days
Share this @internewscast.com

GENEVA (AP) — Officials from the U.S. and China announced on Monday that they have agreed to reduce many of their current tariffs and establish a 90-day ceasefire in their trade conflict, allowing more time for negotiations to address their trade issues.

Stock markets rose sharply as the globe’s two major economic powers took a step back from a clash that has unsettled the global economy.

U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer stated that the U.S. has consented to decrease its 145% tariff on Chinese products by 115 percentage points, bringing it down to 30%. In return, China has agreed to reduce its tariff on U.S. products by the same margin, lowering it to 10%.

Greer and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent announced the tariff reductions at a news conference in Geneva.

The two officials struck a positive tone as they said the two sides had set up consultations to continue discussing their trade issues.

After two days of discussions, Bessent remarked at the press briefing that such high tariff levels would essentially block all trade between the two countries, which is not a desirable outcome for either side.

“The consensus from both delegations this weekend is neither side wants a decoupling,” Bessent said. “And what had occurred with these very high tariff … was an embargo, the equivalent of an embargo. And neither side wants that. We do want trade. We want more balanced trade. And I think that both sides are committed to achieving that.”

China’s Commerce Ministry called the agreement an important step for the resolution of the two countries’ differences and said it lays the foundation for further cooperation.

“This initiative aligns with the expectations of producers and consumers in both countries and serves the interests of both nations as well as the common interests of the world,” a ministry statement said.

It added that China hopes the U.S will stop “the erroneous practice of unilateral tariff hikes” and work with China to safeguard the development of their economic and trade relations, injecting more certainty and stability into the global economy.

The full impact on the complicated tariffs and other trade penalties enacted by Washington and Beijing remains unclear. And much depends on whether they will find ways to bridge longstanding differences during the 90-day suspension.

But as trade envoys from the world’s two biggest economies blinked, finding ways to pull back from potentially massive disruptions to world trade and their own markets, investors rejoiced.

Futures for the S&P 500 jumped 2.6% and for the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 2%. Oil prices surged more than $1.60 a barrel and the U.S. dollar gained against the euro and the Japanese yen.

Jens Eskelund, president of the European Union Chamber of Commerce in China, welcomed the news but expressed caution. The tariffs only were suspended for 90 days and there is great uncertainty over what lies ahead, he said in a statement.

“Businesses need predictability to maintain normal operations and make investment decisions. The chamber therefore hopes to see both sides continue to engage in dialogue to resolve differences, and avoid taking measures that will disrupt global trade and result in collateral damage for those caught in the cross-fire,” Eskelund said.

Trump last month raised U.S. tariffs on China to a combined 145% and China retaliated by hitting American imports with a 125% levy. Tariffs that high essentially amount to the two countries boycotting each other’s products, disrupting trade that last year topped $660 billion.

The announcement by the U.S. and China sent shares surging, with U.S. futures jumping more than 2%. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index surged nearly 3% and benchmarks in Germany and France were both up 0.7%

The Trump administration has imposed tariffs on countries worldwide, but its fight with China has been the most intense. Trump’s import taxes on goods from China include a 20% charge meant to pressure Beijing into doing more to stop the flow of the synthetic opioid fentanyl into the United States.

The remaining 125% involve a dispute dating back to Trump’s first term and comes atop tariffs he levied on China then, which means the total tariffs on some Chinese goods can exceed 145%.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Charter School Earns Prestigious National Award

TYBEE ISLAND, Ga. () — Tybee Island Maritime Academy (TIMA) announced Thursday…

Footage captures children escaping from Annunciation Church following shooting

IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site…

NJ Governor Proposes Limitations on Nonessential Helicopter Flights Following Fatal NYC Crash

TRENTON, N.J. – The governor of New Jersey is urging federal authorities…

Ex-South Korean Prime Minister and Former First Lady Face Indictment

Kim Keon Hee, South Korea’s former first lady and wife of impeached…

Great Smoky Mountains National Park Seeks Visitor Assistance in Monitoring Parachuting Spiders Invasion

GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) — The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is seeking…

Salt Fork Football Aims for Strong Start with New Coach

SALT FORK, Ill. (WCIA) – Salt Fork football is gearing up for…

Alleged Library Incident: Man Claims It’s His ‘Job’ to Record Under Women’s Skirts at UCF

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – University police reported that a man, accused of…

Mother of Minneapolis Church Shooter Seeks Legal Help by Hiring Defense Lawyer

The mother of a shooter who targeted a Minneapolis Catholic school during…

WATCH LIVE at 10 a.m.: Trooper Steve on Patrol Explains Florida’s Left-Lane Driving Laws

ORLANDO, Fla. – Are you one of those drivers who treats the…

Thomson Resident Sentenced to 15 Years for 2022 Murder of Elderly Wife

THOMSON, Ga. ()- Three years after James Wilson killed his wife Virginia…

Tragic Loss at Annunciation Catholic School: Community Honors 8-Year-Old Who Cherished Family, Friends, and Sports

The 8-year-old killed in the tragic Annunciation Catholic School shooting Wednesday was…

Burks Confirmed as Starting Player for SSU Season Opener

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Savannah State’s head coach, Aaron Kelton, has officially announced…