Judge extends order blocking international students from attending Harvard

Court Extends Ban on International Students Attending Harvard

On Wednesday, the Trump administration announced a new effort to revoke Harvard’s certification to enroll foreign students.

BOSTON — On Thursday, a federal judge prolonged an injunction preventing the Trump administration from stopping Harvard University from accepting international students.

U.S. District Judge Allison Burroughs extended the block she imposed last week with a temporary restraining order on the government action.

Harvard filed a lawsuit against the Department of Homeland Security on Friday, subsequent to Secretary Kristi Noem rescinding the university’s authority to host international students at its Cambridge, Massachusetts campus.

The Trump administration revealed a renewed initiative on Thursday to withdraw Harvard’s right to enroll international students. Acting Immigration and Customs Enforcement director, Todd Lyons, issued a letter notifying Harvard that it had 30 days to address the reasons for the withdrawal, which include claims that Harvard collaborated with foreign groups and inadequately addressed antisemitism on its campus.

The dispute over international enrollment at Harvard is the latest escalation in a battle between the White House and the nation’s oldest and wealthiest college. In April, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem sent a letter to the school, demanding a range of records related to foreign students, including discipline records and anything related to “dangerous or violent activity.” Noem said it was in response to accusations of antisemitism on Harvard’s campus.

Harvard says it complied. But on May 22, Noem sent a letter saying the school’s response fell short. She said Harvard was being pulled from the federal program that allows colleges to sponsor international students to get U.S. visas. It took effect immediately and prevented Harvard from hosting foreign students in the upcoming school year.

In its lawsuit, Harvard argued that the government failed to follow administrative procedures and regulations that dictate how schools may be removed from eligibility to host international students, which including giving schools the opportunity to appeal and a 30-day window to respond. Wednesday’s notice is in line with those regulations.

Already, despite the restraining order, the Trump administration’s efforts to stop Harvard from enrolling international students have created an environment of “profound fear, concern, and confusion,” the university’s director of immigration services said in a court filing on Wednesday.

In a court filing, immigration services director Maureen Martin said that countless international students had asked about transferring, and that some domestic students had expressed interest in transferring or deferring because they believed their educational experience would not be the same without an international student body.

Martin said that international Harvard students arriving in Boston were sent to additional screening by Customs and Border Protection agents, and that international students seeking to obtain their visas were being denied or facing delays at consulates and embassies.

The sanction, if allowed to proceed, could upend some graduate schools that recruit heavily from abroad. Among those at risk was Belgium’s Princess Elisabeth, who just finished her first year in a Harvard graduate program. Some schools overseas quickly offered invitations to Harvard’s students, including two universities in Hong Kong.

Trump railed against Harvard on social media after Burroughs temporarily halted the action last week, saying “the best thing Harvard has going for it is that they have shopped around and found the absolute best Judge (for them!) – But have no fear, the Government will, in the end, WIN!”

The Trump administration has levied a range of grievances against Harvard, accusing it of being a hotbed of liberalism and failing to protect Jewish students from harassment. The government is demanding changes to Harvard’s governance and policies to bring it in line with the president’s vision.

Harvard was the first university to reject the government’s demands, saying it threatened the autonomy that has long made U.S. higher education a magnet for the world’s top scholars. In a pair of lawsuits, Harvard accuses the government of retaliating against the university for rebuffing political demands.

This story has been corrected to reflect the judge did not grant a preliminary injunction, but extended a temporary restraining order.

Ma reported from Washington. Associated Press writer Collin Binkley contributed to this report.

The Associated Press’ education coverage receives financial support from multiple private foundations. AP is solely responsible for all content. Find AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.

You May Also Like

Virginia State Shooting Suspect Found Hiding in Dorm Closet - Internewscast Journal

Virginia State Shooting Suspect Found Hiding in Dorm Closet

Virginia authorities have arrested a 19-year-old man in connection with a mass…
SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Set for Launch From California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base - Internewscast Journal

SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Set for Launch From California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base

SpaceX is preparing to send a Falcon 9 rocket into the night…
Kentucky Farmer’s 6-Word Reply to $26M Data Center Offer - Internewscast Journal

Kentucky Farmer’s 6-Word Reply to $26M Data Center Offer

A determined Kentucky farmer who proudly describes herself as a “country hick”…
Iran calls on Houthis to prepare to cut off Red Sea gateway — can the terror group do it?

Houthi Attacks Turn Bab el-Mandeb Into Next Hormuz Flashpoint

A surge in attacks by Iran-backed Houthi fighters on vessels transiting the…
Historic Vessels Sunk in NYC Basin Face Scrapyard Fate - Internewscast Journal

Historic Vessels Sunk in NYC Basin Face Scrapyard Fate

Two landmark vessels — one of them pictured on Maine’s state quarter…
Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body

FBI touts historic violent crime drop as Trump praises law enforcement Fox…
Lexington, KY Park Shooting at Live Show Kills 1, Injures 4 - Internewscast Journal

Lexington, KY Park Shooting at Live Show Kills 1, Injures 4

One person was fatally shot and four others were wounded Saturday during…
Hurricane Lala Hits Hawaii, Killing at Least One and Destroying Homes - Internewscast Journal

Hurricane Lala Hits Hawaii, Killing at Least One and Destroying Homes

At least one person died in a storm-related vehicle crash on Hawaii’s…
NYPD officers fatally shoot man armed with butcher knife after he advanced toward cops: police

NYPD Fatally Shoots Man With Butcher Knife Advancing on Cops

NYPD officers shot and killed a 54-year-old man Sunday afternoon after authorities…
Better Home & Finance CEO Vishal Garg, Known for 900-Person Zoom Layoff, Seeks Return to Top Job - Internewscast Journal

Better Home & Finance CEO Vishal Garg, Known for 900-Person Zoom Layoff, Seeks Return to Top Job

Vishal Garg says he feels betrayed. “He hoodwinked me,” the recently removed…
UC-Berkeley math prof forced to teach fractions because standards have fallen so far

UC Berkeley Math Professor Says Falling Standards Leave Him Teaching Fractions

A prominent University of California, Berkeley mathematics professor is criticizing the school’s…
Chris Watts Reportedly Seeks Prison Marriage With New Love - Internewscast Journal

Chris Watts Reportedly Seeks Prison Marriage With New Love

Chris Watts is reportedly hoping to marry again. Watts, the convicted killer…