Chicago shooting not lifeguard's first accusation of shooting without justification
Share this @internewscast.com

CHICAGO (WGN) A Chicago Park District lifeguard accused of shooting two teens last week, killing one, is the same man who avoided charges two years ago after shooting two dogs, one fatally, and engaged in an hours-long standoff with authorities, two police sources and the dogs’ owners tell affiliate WGN.

Jacqui Korvas Michels said Monday that she’s still traumatized by the February 2023 shooting of her dogs, Squishy and Oakie, in the alley outside her home while she was taking out the trash. Squishy was killed; Oakie survived but needed eight hours of surgery.

Korvas Michels learned Sunday that the man who shot her dogs, 55-year-old Charles Leto, is now facing charges that include homicide and attempted homicide in connection with a Thursday evening shooting at Douglass Park, where he worked as a lifeguard. Marjay Dotson, 15, was killed and Jeremy Herred, 14, was hospitalized. A third victim, another 15-year-old, was fired at during the incident but was not shot.

“I don’t understand why he’s working for Chicago Park District with children and he’s bringing a gun,” Korvas Michaels said.

No charges were filed in the 2023 case because detectives did not pursue them, even though the shooting resulted in a SWAT team response and an hours-long standoff at Leto’s Lakeview home. Leto is a concealed carry license and firearm owners identification card holder.

According to a police report obtained by WGN, Leto told the officer the dogs “kept moving towards him in an aggressive manner placing him in fear of his life causing him to fire at both dogs three times.”

Korvas Michels said her dogs, a back boxer labrador and a black labrador, were rescues and not aggressive pets.

She said she’s reached out to the attorney representing the families of the teen boys who were attacked last week.

“If we can be of any assistance with this case of the two young men, I would definitely be happy to help,” Korvas Michels told WGN. “I just wanted somebody to do something because this man shouldn’t be out. He shouldn’t have a gun. I don’t care about your military background.”

Korvas Michels said she would like police to revisit her case.

Charles Leto

Attorney Jayne Ingles, representing Leto, said she has no information about a 2023 incident beyond what has been publicly reported, and she noted there is no record of arrest or charges in court records.

“Charles Leto is a Marine veteran who served his country,” Ingles said in a statement. “He was a dedicated advocate for preserving Douglass Pool as an important community resource. We are committed to ensuring that his actions are understood in full context and that his rights are protected as this matter proceeds.”

Leto remains in custody.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly spelled Jacqui Korvas Michels’ name. It has been corrected.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Experience Cinematic Magic and Captivating Live Performances at Jackson Theatre This Month!

In the historic town of Jonesborough, Tennessee, the Jackson Theatre is reviving…

Delaware Man from Jill Biden’s Past to Enter Plea in Wife’s Death Case

WILMINGTON, Del. – In a case drawing both local and national attention,…

Breaking News: Travis Turner’s Departure from Wise County Public Schools – What Led to the Termination?

In Wise County, Virginia, the Union High School football coach, Travis Turner,…

Teacher’s Backyard Debris Burn Ignites 5-Acre Brush Fire: Bartow High School Educator Arrested, Sheriff Reports

Related coverage: Driver captures Polk County brush fire on video BARTOW, Fla.…

US-Iran Nuclear Negotiations: Geneva Hosts Crucial Second Round Talks

In the scenic city of Geneva, the United States and Iran are…

Australia Decides Against Repatriating 34 Women and Children from Syrian Conflict Zone

MELBOURNE – Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced on Tuesday that Australia will…

Four Young Victims Hurt in Parramore Neighborhood Shooting, Police Report

ORLANDO, Fla. – A shooting incident near downtown Orlando on Sunday afternoon…

Irish Regulator Launches EU Privacy Investigation into Grok’s Deepfake Practices Amid Heightened Scrutiny

LONDON – The European Union has launched a privacy investigation into Elon…

Investigators Collaborate with Walmart After Identifying Suspect’s Backpack in Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping Case

In a new development in the case of Savannah Guthrie’s missing mother,…

Tragic Update: Juvenile Suspect Sought as Shooting Victim Succumbs, Murder Charges Filed

In a tragic turn of events in Kingsport, Tennessee, the youth involved…