Keir Starmer leaving 10 Downing Street carrying files.

LABOUR will not scrap the two-child benefit cap despite pressure from left wing MPs, according to Downing Street sources.

Plans to shelve the rule have reportedly been binned because of Labour’s £5 billion welfare U-turn.

Keir Starmer leaving 10 Downing Street carrying files.
Plans to scrap the two-child benefit cap are reportedly ‘dead’ according to No 10 sourcesCredit: Shutterstock
EMBARGOED TO 0001 SUNDAY JULY 6 File photo dated 10/06/25 of Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer during a reception for London Tech Week, at no 10 Downing Street, London. Sir Keir Starmer has been urged not to "punish" children by keeping the two-child cap following Labour's U-turn on benefit cuts. The SNP urged the Prime Minister to end the limit amid reports it could stay as a result of Labour scrapping most of its welfare reforms. Issue date: Sunday July 6, 2025. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire
Sir Keir Starmer and the Labour Party have long been divided over the issueCredit: PA
Rachel Reeves and Keir Starmer during Prime Minister's Questions.
It comes after Labour’s bombshell £5 billion welfare U-turnCredit: Pixel8000

Earlier this year Starmer told his cabinet he wanted to scrap the cap and asked the Treasury to identify ways to fund the plan.

However, a No 10 source has now told The Sunday Times: “My assessment is that is now dead in the water.”

And a No 11 source warned MPs there has to be “trade offs” for not introducing major welfare reforms, reports the outlet.

“Whether that’s tax rises or not scrapping the two child benefit cap,” they added.

Parents have only been able to claim child tax credit and universal credit for their first two children since 2017.

Imposed in April 2017, parents can not claim child tax credit or universal credit worth up to £3,455 per year for more than two children.

An exception is made for children born as a result of rape.

Eliminating the cap could incur costs of approximately £3.5 billion, an issue that has historically caused a split within the Labour party. Sir Keir Starmer, however, decided against removing the cap by 2023.

He then said Labour wanted to remove it, but only when fiscal conditions allowed.

After Labour’s overwhelming win last July, the prime minister resisted internal pressure and decided to suspend seven MPs for six months because they sided with the SNP in a vote to abolish the cap.

For months, ministers aligned with the party stance, but things began to change in May. Reports suggested that Sir Keir had requested the Treasury to explore potential funding for removing the cap.

Keir Starmer ‘to BACK DOWN’ on benefits cuts as he faces major revolt from MPs

Labour MPs who forced Sir Keir Starmer into a U-turn last week had set their sights on lifting the benefit cap.

But it looks like that plan is now set to be scrapped once and for all with a decision on the cap set for the autumn.

Speculation has been mounting that ending the two-child benefits cap will be the third welfare U-turn after those relating to winter fuel payments and disability benefits, which have already cost Rachel Reeves billions.

Sir Keir recently suffered the biggest blow to his leadership since coming into power a year ago after he was forced to abandon a key plank of his controversial benefit cuts in order to get them through parliament.

Just minutes before voting began, ministers announced that plans to restrict eligibility for personal independence payments were being dropped.

Sir Keir had already been forced into a U-turn the week before when more than 130 Labour MPs turned rebels and signed an amendment that would have effectively killed the bill off.

Among the concessions announced then was a plan to impose tougher eligibility rules only on future PIP claimants, leaving existing recipients unaffected.

It comes after analysis of official figures previously revealed that ditching the child benefits cap would hand thousands of pounds a year in extra benefits to 180,000 large families in which no one goes out to work.

But critics of the cap claim it has worsened child poverty.

The hard-hitting rule, which slashes payments like Universal Credit and Child Tax Credit, is costing struggling households an average of £4,300 each, according to a recent report from the Institute for Fiscal Studies.

Official figures from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) show a staggering 450,000 families were stung by the cap last year.

Most of those hit – around 280,000 families – have three kids, while 120,000 have four, and 56,000 are raising five or more little ones.

The DWP doesn’t reveal exactly how much the biggest families are missing out on.

You May Also Like

Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home - Internewscast Journal

Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home

A Brazilian woman has been convicted after authorities said she spent more…
Crypto-Skeptic Rep. Rashida Tlaib Reports Bitcoin Holdings in Savings - Internewscast Journal

Crypto-Skeptic Rep. Rashida Tlaib Reports Bitcoin Holdings in Savings

Rep. Rashida Tlaib, a prominent member of the progressive “Squad,” has opposed…
Death Valley National Park Tourist Pierre Formosa Dies After Being Stranded in Triple-Digit Heat - Internewscast Journal

Death Valley National Park Tourist Pierre Formosa Dies After Being Stranded in Triple-Digit Heat

A French tourist died Monday in Death Valley National Park after the…
California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings - Internewscast Journal

California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings

A rapidly spreading wildfire near the Tahoe region has grown to about…
San Francisco Beach Closed After Diesel Boat Runs Aground - Internewscast Journal

San Francisco Beach Closed After Diesel Boat Runs Aground

North Beach at Point Reyes National Seashore was temporarily closed Saturday after…
Iran Fills Key Posts With Loyalists After Ranks Are Gutted, Raising Competence Concerns - Internewscast Journal

Iran Fills Key Posts With Loyalists After Ranks Are Gutted, Raising Competence Concerns

Report suggests IRGC commander holds power, linked to multiple terror attacks IRGC…
Roommates Say ISIS Plotter Jessica Bowie Threatened to Blow Up Their House - Internewscast Journal

Roommates Say ISIS Plotter Jessica Bowie Threatened to Blow Up Their House

A woman accused of planning an ISIS-inspired bombing at the New York…
Trump administration sanctions sitting president of the International Criminal Court for 'abuses of power'

Trump Administration Sanctions International Criminal Court President, Citing Abuses of Power

Mamdani, Netanyahu and the ICC Paul Gigot joined Wall Street Journal commentators…
Penn State Frat Brothers Accused in Off-Campus Cocaine Ring - Internewscast Journal

Penn State Frat Brothers Accused in Off-Campus Cocaine Ring

14 arrested in Penn State cocaine ring scandal Pennsylvania Attorney General Dave…
Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines - Internewscast Journal

Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines

ELSENBORN, Belgium — As wildfires tear through parts of Europe this summer,…
Highway 1 to Reopen After Big Sur Fire, Easing Coastal Travel - Internewscast Journal

Highway 1 to Reopen After Big Sur Fire, Easing Coastal Travel

Highway 1 through Big Sur is set to reopen Saturday afternoon, marking…
Mother Suffers Cardiac Incident After Powerful Waves Sweep Her Into Ocean at Orange County Beach - Internewscast Journal

Mother Suffers Cardiac Incident After Powerful Waves Sweep Her Into Ocean at Orange County Beach

What began as a calm walk along the sand became a desperate…