People stand on a tourist boat that capsized in Halong Bay on Saturday.
Share this @internewscast.com

Following a sightseeing ship’s capsizing in a squall on Saturday in Halong Bay, a well-known tourist spot in Vietnam, divers continue to search for missing passengers and crew.

At least 34 bodies have been recovered and another 11 people have been rescued.

Search and rescue efforts are underway for those who are still missing, according to VN Express, which reported that the vessel was carrying 53 people, including 48 tourists and five crew members.

The nationalities of those on board have not yet been stated.

People stand on a tourist boat that capsized in Halong Bay on Saturday.
People stand on a tourist boat that capsized in Halong Bay on Saturday. (AFP/Getty Images via CNN Newsource)
In an interview with state media outlet Vietnamnet, a 64-year-old diver at the scene said that much of the ship’s passenger area had been searched.

The cockpit and engine room, however, are stuck in mud, making them harder to reach.

“As of now, I am certain there are no more bodies in the passenger cabin,” said diver Đinh Khắc Giông.

“I only worry that some bodies may have drifted outside.”

VN Express reported that the ship, called the Wonder Sea, was caught in a storm around 1.30 pm local time (2.30am ET), which caused it to capsize.

It then lost GPS signal, according to the outlet, which cited the Quang Ninh Provincial People’s Committee.

According to VN Express, the navy, border guards, police, and port authorities were dispatched to the area, alongside 27 boats and two rescue craft. However, rescue efforts are being hindered by heavy rain and poor visibility due to nightfall.

Most passengers hailed from Hanoi, the Vietnamese capital, and were traveling in family groups. VN Express reports the oldest passenger was 53 years old, while the youngest was just 3.

Over 20 children were on board, VN Express said. Citing the director of a local hospital, the outlet reported that a 10-year-old boy is in stable condition after suffering multiple injuries.

It also reported a 14-year-old boy survived after being trapped inside the ship’s sunken cabin for four hours, citing eyewitness and deputy head of the Ha Long Cruise Ship Association, Bui Cong Hoan.

Halong Bay, Vietnam
Halong Bay is a tourist hotspot and UNESCO world heritage site. (File image) (iStock)

State broadcaster VTV interviewed a survivor, Dang Thuy Linh, recovering at the provincial hospital.

“I have lost contact with my son, my husband and my friend’s whole family,” Dang told VTV, according to a translation published by Reuters.

“What I am asking now is for everyone to speed up the rescue mission, to save all of them,” Dang added. “Please don’t let anyone behind on that boat. There is so little air left, there is a small chance of surviving.”

The capsize reportedly happened near the Dau Go Cave – one of the largest in the bay.

Halong Bay is a popular tourist hotspot and a UNESCO world heritage site comprising of about 1600 limestone islands and islets.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Unlocking Australia’s Billion-Dollar Opportunity: The Untapped Export Ready to Skyrocket

When Eleanor Gray borrowed a Hello Kitty DVD from her local library…
Jetstar

Jetstar Passengers Face New Delays Amid Urgent Airbus Repairs

Thousands of Airbus aircraft are currently grounded due to a major recall,…
Melburnians flocked to the newly opened Melbourne Metro Tunnel today.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Opens After Years of Delays: Navigating Initial Challenges for Commuters

This morning marked the debut of Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel to commuters, although…

From Private Messages to Wedding Bells: The Rabbitohs Love Story Behind Australia’s ‘Royal Wedding

Like many modern relationships, it started with a slide into DMs on…
Hanson addresses immigration rally in Melbourne

Breaking News: Hanson Speaks Out at Melbourne Rally – Unveiling Her Stance on Immigration

Pauline Hanson, the leader of One Nation, recently led an anti-immigration protest,…
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,

Investigation Launched into Corruption and Negligence Behind Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

The tragic fire in Hong Kong, marking the deadliest in decades, has…

Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon Tie the Knot in Heartwarming Ceremony at The Lodge

Anthony Albanese has tied the knot with his fiancée Jodie Haydon at…
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle as Climate Activists Rally for Change

In a bold display of civil disobedience, climate change activists have once…
Nicole Kidman 's views on marriage have been revealed in a resurfaced interview. Kidman filed for divorce from her second husband, Keith Urban, 58, in September, citing irreconcilable differences. Pictured together

Resurfaced Interview Reveals Nicole Kidman’s Emotional Insights on Divorce Amid Keith Urban Separation Rumors

Insights into Nicole Kidman’s perspective on marriage have come to light through…
A man wades through a flooded road carrying a cat in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Saturday, Nov, 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)

Devastating Sri Lanka Floods: Death Toll Climbs to 132 Amidst Mudslide Havoc

The death toll in Sri Lanka from Cyclone Ditwah’s devastating floods and…
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Massive Industrial Inferno Rages in Western Sydney: Firefighters Brace for Days-Long Battle

In Sydney’s western region, an intense factory blaze saw around 200 firefighters…
President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela greets his supporters during a rally to commemorate Indigenous Resistance Day on October 12, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela.

Trump Urges Caution: Advises Treating Venezuelan Airspace as Off-Limits

President Donald Trump on Saturday said that the airspace “above and surrounding”…