LA Mayor Bass dodges question on whether all illegal immigrants in city should be allowed to stay

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass skillfully avoided giving a clear answer on whether all undocumented immigrants in the sanctuary city should remain.

During an interview on ABC’s “This Week,” Bass also expressed disapproval of President Donald Trump’s decision to nationalize 4,000 National Guard troops and send about 700 Marines to Los Angeles in the wake of protests and riots against Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). When questioned by ABC host Martha Raddatz about her stance on deportation, particularly concerning the city’s roughly one million “undocumented workers,” she focused on those convicted of crimes.

“What should happen to those people?” Raddatz asked. 

Bass explained, “Since we are a city full of immigrants, numerous sectors of our economy depend on immigrant labor. We need to rebuild fire-affected areas, and this won’t be possible without the help of immigrant workers,” she said. “The deportations alone aren’t the issue; it’s also about the fear that follows. People get scared during raids and when individuals are taken off the streets. It’s important to note that even individuals here legally, including U.S. citizens, have been detained.”

Raddatz noted that “hundreds of thousands” of people illegally crossed the border under the Biden administration. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) figures, however, recorded about 10.8 million border encounters and roughly two million more known “got-a-ways” during Biden’s term. Trump, meanwhile, has reported record-low border crossings since he began his second term. 

When asked if there’s “anything good” she thinks the Trump administration has done in these six months at the border, Bass said, “Well, I will keep praise on the administration for the first six months in Los Angeles with the fires. If you ask me, is there anything that they have done good in terms of immigration, I don’t know. I don’t think so. I think that the viewpoint has been punitive, has been, let’s make it as miserable as possible so that these people don’t come.” 

Bass said she has not recently had conversations with the Trump administration regarding immigration despite the National Guard presence in the city.

National Guard line their shields in LA

U.S. Marines and National Guard in Los Angeles, California on July 4, 2025.  (ETIENNE LAURENT/AFP via Getty Images)

“I have put in a request and I hope to. I will always be open to a conversation,” the mayor said. “I want to work with the administration to solve this problem. We have the World Cup in 11 short months here. We have Olympics and Paralympics coming in three short years. I know that these games are very important to the president and I look forward to working with him, and we have an extreme difference on this issue, but there’s many issues for us to work on, and I will continue trying to outreach to the administration and hope that at some point they’ll be responsive.” 

The mayor also responded to how she hopes the next six months to two years will be for immigrants in Los Angeles, taking a dig at what she deemed the Trump administration’s “reign of terror.” 

The Pentagon last week announced it was pulling 2,000 National Guard troops from Los Angeles, citing how the “lawlessness” seen in early June anti-ICE riots has subsided. 

“Well, I am just hoping that this reign of terror ends. I’m hoping that the military leaves because they were never needed here to begin with,” Bass said. “I hope that we can get back to normal.”

You May Also Like

Karmelo Anthony fights for new trial as lawyers clash over unwritten deal that shaped case

Judge Denies Karmelo Anthony New Trial Over Lawyer Dispute

A Texas judge on Saturday denied Karmelo Anthony’s bid for a new…
Ceuta Residents Fear Spain Isn’t Doing Enough to Prevent Another Migrant Surge - Internewscast Journal

Ceuta Residents Fear Spain Isn’t Doing Enough to Prevent Another Migrant Surge

People living in Ceuta, Spain’s North African enclave on the Moroccan border,…
Roommates Say ISIS Plotter Jessica Bowie Threatened to Blow Up Their House - Internewscast Journal

Roommates Say ISIS Plotter Jessica Bowie Threatened to Blow Up Their House

A woman accused of planning an ISIS-inspired bombing at the New York…
Woman Dies After SUV Plunges Into Long Island Swimming Pool - Internewscast Journal

Woman Dies After SUV Plunges Into Long Island Swimming Pool

A 40-year-old woman was killed Friday after her SUV veered out of…
Iran Fills Key Posts With Loyalists After Ranks Are Gutted, Raising Competence Concerns - Internewscast Journal

Iran Fills Key Posts With Loyalists After Ranks Are Gutted, Raising Competence Concerns

Report suggests IRGC commander holds power, linked to multiple terror attacks IRGC…
Alfalfa Sprouts Recalled as E. Coli, Salmonella Hit 15 States - Internewscast Journal

Alfalfa Sprouts Recalled as E. Coli, Salmonella Hit 15 States

Federal health officials said Friday that a multistate outbreak involving E. coli…
Mother Says Son’s Organs Were Removed Without Consent After Fatal Car Crash - Internewscast Journal

Mother Says Son’s Organs Were Removed Without Consent After Fatal Car Crash

Andrea Mauk was thousands of miles from home when she learned her…
Nashville hospital medication error leaves at least 1 patient paralyzed after routine surgery, 3 others hurt

Nashville Hospital Medication Error Paralyzes Patient, Injures 3

HHS decertifies Kentucky organ donor network over near-harvesting incident The Department of…
NYPD Union Claims Police Watchdog Once Compared Officers to KKK - Internewscast Journal

NYPD Union Claims Police Watchdog Once Compared Officers to KKK

A New York City police oversight investigator is facing backlash after the…
5 Americans killed in helicopter crash in Kenya, including Telemundo executive

5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash; Telemundo Exec Among Victims

Five U.S. citizens were killed Wednesday when a helicopter went down in…
Highway 1 to Reopen After Big Sur Fire, Easing Coastal Travel - Internewscast Journal

Highway 1 to Reopen After Big Sur Fire, Easing Coastal Travel

Highway 1 through Big Sur is set to reopen Saturday afternoon, marking…
Paramount hits back at actor Mark Ruffalo over unhinged, 'antisemitic' rant against Warner Bros merger

Paramount Fires Back at Mark Ruffalo Over ‘Antisemitic’ Warner Bros. Merger Attack

Paramount is pushing back against Mark Ruffalo after the actor criticized the…