In a major shake up of New Zealand 's media landscape, Sky TV will buy Warner Brothers Discovery (WBD)'s free-to-air network for just one dollar. Former Newshub presenter Samantha Hayes will continue to present 'ThreeNews' under the new deal
Share this @internewscast.com

In a major shake-up of New Zealand’s media landscape, Sky TV will buy Warner Brothers Discovery (WBD)’s free-to-air network for just one dollar. 

The announcement was made to the New Zealand stock exchange on Tuesday. 

Sky TV, known for its pay-per-view service similar to New Zealand’s Foxtel, is set to purchase all of WBD’s television channels. This acquisition includes channels such as Three (which was previously TV3), Bravo, Eden, Rush, HGTV, along with the BVOD catch-up service, ThreeNow.

Sky has officially announced that it will “acquire 100% of the shares in Discovery NZ Limited from Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of Warner Bros Discovery, Inc,” on a cash-free, debt-free basis for the nominal price of $1.

The shocking news comes five years after Discovery purchased Three from MediaWorks in 2020 for a rumoured US$20million. 

Stay updated on A-list stories, red carpet blunders, exclusive photos, and trending moments by subscribing to the DailyMail’s revamped showbiz newsletter.

In a major shake up of New Zealand 's media landscape, Sky TV will buy Warner Brothers Discovery (WBD)'s free-to-air network for just one dollar. Former Newshub presenter Samantha Hayes will continue to present 'ThreeNews' under the new deal

In a major shake up of New Zealand ‘s media landscape, Sky TV will buy Warner Brothers Discovery (WBD)’s free-to-air network for just one dollar. Former Newshub presenter Samantha Hayes will continue to present ‘ThreeNews’ under the new deal 

Discovery said the completion of the sale is expected to take place on August 1. 

This deal will profoundly reshape the commercial TV and streaming landscape in New Zealand, as it forges the biggest media company in the country by revenue and audience — all for the price of a singular gold coin. 

In April last year, WBD confirmed the closure of its New Zealand newsroom Newshub, ending the 6pm and AM TV news bulletins on channel Three. 

Sky will assume all of WBD’s ongoing commercial contracts, including a partnership deal with Stuff (stuff.co.nz) that was struck with WBD days after Newshub closed last year. 

The digital publisher has been providing ThreeNews since June 6, 2024. 

Effectively, the 6pm news moved online – with Stuff hiring several beloved Newshub presenters who had been made redundant. 

Sinead Boucher, who purchased the Stuff company from Australia’s Nine Entertainment for $1 in 2020, said she is ‘delighted’ to see Sky bring TV3 back into New Zealand ownership ‘for the first time in decades’.

Sky announced it had 'agreed to acquire 100% of the shares in Discovery NZ Limited from Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd (a subsidiary of Warner Bros Discovery, Inc)' for $1 on a cash-free, debt-free basis

Sky announced it had ‘agreed to acquire 100% of the shares in Discovery NZ Limited from Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd (a subsidiary of Warner Bros Discovery, Inc)’ for $1 on a cash-free, debt-free basis

‘My word this industry moves at pace!’ ThreeNews presenter Samantha Hayes posted to Instagram on Tuesday. 

‘I was only just getting around to marking our one year anniversary of ThreeNews this month and now another seismic shift in the media landscape with Sky buying Three, ThreeNow and Discovery NZ’s many other assets. 

‘We’ll keep making our 6pm news bulletin like we always do and I’m excited about what the future holds… watch this space!’

Sky’s chief executive Sophie Moloney told Stuff the deal made sense, both strategically and financially for the pay TV giant. 

‘We’ve made no secret of the fact we want to grow our advertising revenue and the one platform we’re actually missing in that ecosystem was a BVOD [broadcast video on demand] platform,’ she said. 

‘Ultimately, we think this shores up the local media ecosystem which we’re thrilled to participate in.’ 

Warner Bros. Discovery will remain in New Zealand through its ‘highly successful’ film production business WBITVP, suite of pay TV channels, and a content licensing deal with Sky’s streaming platform, Neon. 

Kiwi media pundits are saying  the $1 price tag indicates that Discovery NZ’s parent, WBD, simply wanted to exit the free-to-air business. 

Warner Bros. Discovery Australia and NZ managing director Michael Brooks said the sale will ensure long-term success for the company's other NZ operations

Warner Bros. Discovery Australia and NZ managing director Michael Brooks said the sale will ensure long-term success for the company’s other NZ operations 

Prime Minister Christopher Luxon was not concerned that his country's second largest broadcaster had been sold for $1, when asked about it in parliament: 'Nothing to do with me'

Prime Minister Christopher Luxon was not concerned that his country’s second largest broadcaster had been sold for $1, when asked about it in parliament: ‘Nothing to do with me’

‘Our decision to sell the business follows an extensive review of options to ensure long-term success for our New Zealand operations,’ Australia and NZ managing director Michael Brooks said. 

‘Advertiser behaviour has shifted, viewer habits have shifted, and we’re still going through this digital transition,’ he told Stuff. 

‘The media industry has changed right across the board. I don’t think there’s a market or a company that hasn’t been impacted over the last few years.’ 

The sale is the latest move in WBD’s global restructuring efforts, as the media Goliath splits its businesses up. 

One arm of the company will focus on streaming, and the other on global networks –  many of which were downsized, or shut down, across Europe in 2023. 

Brooks said the New Zealand sale has ‘absolutely no connection’ to the global restructuring efforts. 

Meanwhile, NZ Prime Minister Christopher Luxon was unbothered about the deal. 

‘Yeah, I saw those reports,’ Luxon said in parliament.

‘Obviously it’s a commercial decision and up to the parties to make that decision. Got nothing to do with me.’

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
A man has been killed, thousands of properties are without power, and flights have been cancelled as wild storms lash large parts of New Zealand.

Severe Storms in New Zealand Claim One Life and Leave Tens of Thousands Without Power

A man has been killed, thousands of properties are without power and…

Global Protests Ignite Anti-Government Chants Across Iran: A Rising Wave of Unrest

Reports have emerged of Tehran residents vocally expressing dissent against the country’s…

Can the Liberal Party Overcome Its Gender Challenges After Losing Its First Female Leader?

Sussan Ley, the first woman to lead the Liberal Party, was removed…
The overlooked 500 per cent price increase blocking new housing

Hidden Costs: The 500% Price Surge Hindering New Home Construction

You’d imagine that in a country the size of Australia, finding new…

Angus Taylor’s Bold Immigration & Tax Strategy: Key Insights Before the Front Bench Reveal

Angus Taylor, the Opposition Leader, is preparing to introduce his revamped front…
police generic

Authorities Pursue Suspects in Widespread Parking Lot Scam Investigation

Two men are before the courts as police investigate an alleged theft…
A young woman has been left shaken after opening an online fashion order to discover it was crawling with ants and what appeared to be insect eggs

Outrageous Discovery: Shopper Shocked by Disturbing Find in Parcel from Australian Fashion Retailer

A young shopper experienced a disturbing surprise when she opened her online…
Undercover police have rammed a car in the middle of Melbourne after it was seen driving erratically.

Melbourne Chaos: Undercover Police Car Intercepts Reckless Driver in Dramatic City Center Clash

Undercover police have rammed a car in the middle of Melbourne after…

Alleged Bondi Beach Shooter Naveed Akram Makes Initial Court Appearance

In Court: Bondi Attack Suspect Naveed Akram has addressed the court for…
Angus Taylor and Jane Hume at a press conference

Angus Taylor Faces New Challenge as One Nation Matches Coalition Support

For the first time, One Nation is on level pegging with the…
SA Police has released the first picture of missing 4-year-old boy Gus Lamont.

75-Year-Old Charged with Firearms Offences as Police Intensify Search for Fugitive Gus Lamont

Authorities investigating the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont have pressed firearms charges…

Jakara Anthony’s Gold Medal Shines in Historic Olympic Achievement for Australia

With the Milano Cortina Winter Games still underway, the Australian Olympic team…