Journalist Mario Guevara's federal detention debated in court
Share this @internewscast.com

Mario Guevara’s attorneys argue his detention violates his First and Fifth Amendment rights and amounts to retaliation against his journalism

BRUNSWICK, Ga. — From protest arrest to federal detention, the case of journalist Mario Guevara, who continues to be held in ICE detention over two months after his arrest while covering a protest near Atlanta, was presented in federal court on Wednesday.

Guevara, the founder and senior reporter for MGNews, is reportedly the only journalist currently incarcerated in the United States as a direct response to his reporting, according to his legal representatives from the ACLU.

On June 14, Guevara was wearing a press vest when he was taken into custody while livestreaming a “No Kings” protest in DeKalb County. The criminal charges levied that day were swiftly dropped, and an immigration judge granted him bond on July 1.

However, instead of his release, ICE moved Guevara to Gwinnett County, where he faced additional traffic charges, which were subsequently dismissed. Despite this, Guevara remains in federal custody, moving among several detention centers.

Guevara’s legal team submitted a habeas petition last week, contending that his detention infringes upon his First and Fifth Amendment rights and constitutes retaliation for his journalistic work.

The hearing on Wednesday at the Frank M. Scarlett Federal Building in Brunswick lasted approximately one hour. Reporters were barred from bringing recording devices or other electronic equipment inside. 

Guevara was not present in court.

Attorneys with the ACLU argued for Guevara’s immediate release, while federal prosecutors defended ICE’s discretion to continue holding him.

Prosecutors pointed to the fact that Guevara does not currently hold a U.S. visa. His attorneys countered that he has a pending visa petition and is also eligible for a green card.

The judge did not issue a ruling. Instead, he gave both sides seven days to submit additional information before considering the next steps.

Outside the courthouse, Guevara’s son, Oscar, wore a polo from his father’s news network and spoke emotionally about the toll of waiting.

“That’s not good news nor bad news—it just means more waiting,” Oscar said. “Ultimately, it’s more time that my dad is going to spend in jail.”

Advocates also voiced alarm at what Guevara’s case means for journalism in the U.S.

Jose Zamora, of the Committee to Protect Journalists, called the detention “a terrible precedent.”

“Mario’s detention is unjust, a direct retaliation for his journalism and livestreaming—something that should worry us all,” Zamora said. “There needs to be due process. Everybody deserves due process.”

“I’ve been praying every night that the judge and prosecutor have some mercy,” he continued.

The judge’s seven-day deadline sets the stage for another court date in the coming weeks. Until then, Guevara remains in ICE custody, more than 75 days after his initial arrest.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Gas hasn't been this cheap on Labor Day since 2020

Labor Day Gas Prices Hit Lowest Since 2020

Americans soaking up the end of summer this holiday weekend will catch…
Trump suggests more US cities need National Guard but crime stats tell a different story

Trump Calls for National Guard in More Cities, Despite Crime Rates Not Supporting the Claim

President Donald Trump has warned of sending the National Guard to cities…
New Orleans marks 20th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina with memorials and brass band parade

New Orleans Commemorates 20 Years Since Hurricane Katrina with Tribute Events and a Brass Band Parade

NEW ORLEANS — Two decades since Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast,…
Florida extends execution record after man convicted of triple murder dies by lethal injection

Florida Continues Execution Record with Lethal Injection of Man Convicted of Triple Murder

A Florida man who was found guilty of murdering his girlfriend, her…
Trump administration asks Naval Station Great Lakes for support on Chicago immigration operations

Trump Administration Requests Naval Station Great Lakes’ Assistance for Chicago Immigration Efforts

CHICAGO — The Trump administration requested assistance from a military base near…
Missing New Orleans boy, 12, died after alligator attack, drowning: authorities

12-Year-Old New Orleans Boy Tragically Dies After Alligator Attack and Drowning

A young boy, aged 12, who had been missing for almost two…
JSO arrests final suspect in Dragon Arcade shooting

Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office Apprehends Last Suspect in Dragon Arcade Shooting

Trai’xon Smith is the final suspect in a shooting at the Dragon…
Wisconsin kayaker who faked his own death to leave wife sentenced

Wisconsin Man Who Pretended to Die to Escape Marriage Receives Sentence

A Wisconsin kayaker who, according to prosecutors, faked his own death to…
Rhode Island prosecutor in viral arrest video slapped with 6-month suspension, pleads in court

Rhode Island Prosecutor Caught in Viral Arrest Video Receives 6-Month Suspension and Enters Court Plea

The Rhode Island assistant attorney general, who gained public attention after a…
Sister of Bama Rush star quits high-profile sorority recruitment described by coach as ‘psychological warfare’

Sister of Bama Rush Star Withdraws from Intense Sorority Recruitment Dubbed ‘Psychological Warfare’ by Coach

Izzy Darnell, the younger sister of University of Alabama senior and Zeta…

Court Denies Saudi Arabia’s Request to Dismiss Allegations of 9/11 Hijacker Support

In New York, a federal judge ruled on Thursday against Saudi Arabia’s…
Cracker Barrel co-founder Tommy Lowe slams CEO Julie Felss Masino after logo rebranding fail

Cracker Barrel Co-Founder Tommy Lowe Criticizes CEO Julie Felss Masino Over Logo Rebranding Mishap

The 93-year-old co-founder of Cracker Barrel criticized the executives of the homestyle…