Sydney dockworkers charged over $100 million cocaine bust
Share this @internewscast.com

Three Sydney dockworkers have been charged over a cocaine shipment worth more than $100 million that was discovered concealed behind a false wall in a shipping container.

Officials stated that they had been investigating a criminal syndicate believed to be collaborating with “trusted insiders” at Sydney ports to smuggle commercial quantities of illegal drugs into Australia.

They mentioned receiving intelligence about a group intending to extract illicit drugs from an imported shipping container while it was stored on the Sydney waterfront.

On Sunday, a 25-year-old man was apprehended while exiting the shipping container, whose legitimate cargo had already been unloaded. Police reported finding a crowbar, an angle grinder, ear protection, portable lights, and other tools inside, which were allegedly being used by the man to breach a false wall at the back of the shipping container.

Behind this wall were 506 blocks of cocaine, each weighing 1 kilo (2.2 pounds), totaling over 1,115 pounds. The shipment had a street value exceeding 164 Australian dollars ($106 million), according to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) in a joint news release with the New South Wales Police Force on Tuesday.

The 25-year-old man, along with two others aged 38 and 42, appeared in a New South Wales court on Monday. Only the 42-year-old was granted bail.

If convicted, the three men could face life in prison. They are next expected to appear in court on Oct. 29.

Australia Cocaine Charged
Police said a cache of cocaine was concealed behind a false wall.Australian Federal Police / via AP

Though the shipping container came from Europe, police said they were still investigating the origin of the cocaine. Searches of two of the men’s homes found 330,000 Australian dollars (about $215,000) in cash suspected of being proceeds from crime.

“To anyone lured in by the false promise of riches from drug importations — these offenses carry the potential of life in jail,” AFP Detective Superintendent Peter Fogarty said.

The investigation was carried out by the Multi Agency Strike Team, a collaboration between Australian law enforcement agencies that aims to “investigate and target trusted insiders assisting transnational serious organized crime syndicates.”

There have been a series of recent drug busts in Australia, including late last year when police seized a record 2.3 tons of cocaine and arrested 13 people in raids after the suspects’ boat broke down off the coast of Queensland.

In 2022, police also found 2 U.S. tons of methamphetamine hidden in marble tiles shipped from the Middle East to Sydney in what they said was the largest-ever seizure of the illicit drug in the country.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Saudi Arabia’s Potential Uranium Enrichment: U.S. Deal Raises Global Concerns, Experts Warn

DUBAI – According to congressional records and insights from an arms control…

Juvenile Arrested in Connection with Kingsport Murder: Breaking News Update

In the heart of Kingsport, Tennessee, a tragic incident has left the…

Lady Bucs Set Sights on Victory Against UNC Greensboro Today

The East Tennessee State University (ETSU) women’s basketball team is gearing up…

Hawkins County Primary Election: Upcoming Developments and Next Steps

In Hawkins County, Tennessee, local voters are gearing up for a significant…

Daytona Beach Police Under Scrutiny for Handling of Teen Slashing Suspect

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – A 13-year-old boy was injured in a knife…

2025 Sees a Dip in Florida Shark Bites: What the Latest Report Reveals

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The latest update from the Florida Museum of Natural…

Breaking News: Sullivan County Commission Set to Deliberate on Critical Homeland Security and ICE Resolutions

The Sullivan County Commission in Tennessee is preparing to deliberate on two…

From Royal Highs to Public Lows: The Dramatic Fall of Former Prince Andrew

LONDON – Once considered the favored child of Queen Elizabeth II, Prince…

Florida State Rep. Kevin Steele Withdraws from Chief Financial Officer Race

PASCO COUNTY, Fla. – State Representative Kevin Steele has decided to withdraw…

Judge Rejects Stand Your Ground Defense in St. Cloud Road-Rage Incident

OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. – A judge has dismissed a man’s self-defense claim…