Optus to face 'consequences', minister promises after outage
Share this @internewscast.com
Optus is likely to face “consequences” after a recent outage prevented many from contacting emergency services in what Communications Minister Anika Wells described as an “enormous failure”.

Several deaths occurred during the network disruption, where individuals were unable to reach critical emergency services.

Following the acknowledgment by Optus CEO Stephen Rue that the telecom company overlooked several alerts about disruptions in Triple Zero calls, Wells confirmed this morning that Optus had prior knowledge of the problem but failed to address it.

Optus has been slammed over a recent outage. (Getty)

“Optus will be held to account,” she said.

“Optus and all telecommunications providers have obligations under Australian law to make sure emergency services calls go through.”

Though Wells and Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) head Nerida O’Loughlin did not detail the specific penalties Optus might incur, O’Loughlin mentioned a previous $12 million penalty the company faced in 2023 for similar regulation breaches.

O’Loughlin reported that 624 calls to Triple Zero were impacted by the outage, which took place between 12:30 am and 1:30 pm on Thursday across South Australia, Western Australia, and the Northern Territory.

She said initial emails from Optus about the scale of the outage had been “perfunctory” and “inaccurate”.

Current regulations mandate that telecommunication firms promptly inform stakeholders, including governmental bodies and ACMA, when an outage is detected.

Optus CEO Stephen Rue
Optus chief executive Stephen Rue. (Nine)

”In this case we weren’t notified at all until the outage was resolved,” O’Loughlin said.

ACMA is undertaking a thorough investigation of the incident, though Wells and O’Loughlin did not say when they expected that to be resolved.

“Once we have all the information regarding this incident and consider ACMA’s recommendations, I will decide on the appropriate actions for the telecommunications sector as a whole,” Wells stated.

The minister also indicated that the outage could prompt a broader examination of the industry, noting that Optus was not the only provider to have overseen Triple Zero outages.

“This is not entirely a matter for Optus,” Wells said.

“We are considering what needs to be done holistically or as part of legislative relief for the Australian people, given their confidence has no doubt been shaken by what has happened here.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Can the Liberal Party Overcome Its Gender Challenges After Losing Its First Female Leader?

Sussan Ley, the first woman to lead the Liberal Party, was removed…
Undercover police have rammed a car in the middle of Melbourne after it was seen driving erratically.

Melbourne Chaos: Undercover Police Car Intercepts Reckless Driver in Dramatic City Center Clash

Undercover police have rammed a car in the middle of Melbourne after…
A grandmother who dedicated her life to her local church and volunteering at a primary school was killed in a horror crash involving an allegedly stolen car.Maureen Crosland, 84, was travelling with another woman yesterday to pick up a wedding dress for her granddaughter when the Alfa Romeo she was travelling in was hit by a car that was allegedly speeding on the Old Hume Highway in Camden, south-west Sydney.

Church Community Mourns Loss of Devoted Volunteer in Tragic Car Accident

A grandmother who dedicated her life to her local church and volunteering…

Anzac Day 2023: Discover Which Australian States Observe the Public Holiday

Residents of Australia’s most populous state, New South Wales, are set to…
Angus Taylor and Jane Hume at a press conference

Angus Taylor Faces New Challenge as One Nation Matches Coalition Support

For the first time, One Nation is on level pegging with the…

Jakara Anthony’s Gold Medal Shines in Historic Olympic Achievement for Australia

With the Milano Cortina Winter Games still underway, the Australian Olympic team…

Alleged Bondi Beach Shooter Naveed Akram Makes Initial Court Appearance

In Court: Bondi Attack Suspect Naveed Akram has addressed the court for…
Lynette Bolton (pictured with her husband, AFL great Jude Bolton) revealed that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer just before Christmas

Jude Bolton’s Wife, Renowned TV Personality, Shares Latest Update on Her Cancer Journey

Lynette Bolton recently shared a positive update on her health, stating she…
A young woman has been left shaken after opening an online fashion order to discover it was crawling with ants and what appeared to be insect eggs

Outrageous Discovery: Shopper Shocked by Disturbing Find in Parcel from Australian Fashion Retailer

A young shopper experienced a disturbing surprise when she opened her online…
police generic

Authorities Pursue Suspects in Widespread Parking Lot Scam Investigation

Two men are before the courts as police investigate an alleged theft…

Urgent Search Resumes for Missing 4-Year-Old Gus Lamont in Remote Outback: Latest Updates

The investigation into the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont has intensified as…
SA Police has released the first picture of missing 4-year-old boy Gus Lamont.

75-Year-Old Charged with Firearms Offences as Police Intensify Search for Fugitive Gus Lamont

Authorities investigating the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont have pressed firearms charges…