Christian Horner takes multi-million pound pay-out to leave Red Bull

Christian Horner has officially left Red Bull today with an £80million package that allows him to return to Formula One next year.

It is understood by Daily Mail Sport that after weeks of negotiation, Christian Horner’s settlement has been agreed upon, reduced from the £110m he’d have received if his contract, set to last until the end of 2030, had been fulfilled entirely.

That, however, would have denied him as swift a return to the sport, a delay he wished to avoid.

An announcement confirming his departure was released today, 10 weeks after he was ‘relieved of operational duties’.

Horner’s departure concludes a notable career with the Milton Keynes-based team, where he was instrumental in securing eight drivers’ and six constructors’ world titles across two successful periods, initially with Sebastian Vettel, followed by Max Verstappen. He was the team principal from Red Bull’s entrance onto the Formula One scene in 2005, often accompanied at global events by his wife, Geri Halliwell.

Christian Horner, pictured with wife Geri Halliwell, has officially left Red Bull

Christian Horner, pictured with wife Geri Halliwell, has officially left Red Bull

Horner has landed an enormous package that allows him to take up another job in Formula One

Horner has landed an enormous package that allows him to take up another job in Formula One 

He was unexpectedly removed from his position following the British Grand Prix, with the announcement made by Red Bull GmbH, the Austrian energy drink company’s parent company, on July 9.

Horner, 51, was given no explanation for his firing – but it is understood that he fell victim to a power struggle.

Events were escalating at the Red Bull Ring, the team’s home track in Spielberg, a week before the British GP. The results in Austria were disappointing: Verstappen, who had started seventh, retired after a collision with Mercedes’ Kimi Antonelli, who was held responsible, while Yuki Tsunoda finished 16th, in last place among the finishers.

Thus, Horner’s once-solid position, following years of uninterrupted success, was becoming unstable. Doubts about his role first arose with allegations of coercive behavior towards a female employee, which surfaced in February 2024. He was cleared twice by internal hearings conducted by KCs and consistently denied any misconduct.

Horner was supported by his wife Geri, who demonstrated her backing in a public display of solidarity by walking hand-in-hand with him through the paddock on the day of the Bahrain Grand Prix, a few weeks later.

The internal dynamic at Red Bull changed with the death in 2022 of his No 1 supporter, the organisation’s founding billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz, aged 78. Horner and others, such as Oliver Mintzlaff, CEO of Corporate Projects and New Investments of Red Bull GmbH, and former RB Leipzig football club chief executive, vied for seniority in the new order, which had been shorn of its natural leader.

Horner’s next major backer, not least during the wobbly period of accusations against him, was Chalerm Yoovidhya, Red Bull’s Thai co-owner. Worth £26.5billion, he protected Horner against his enemies on the Austrian wing of the company, which was headed by Mark Mateschitz, Dietrich’s now 33-year-old heir.

Mark’s views of Horner have never been publicly expressed. But Daily Mail Sport has been told that he was pressed by Helmut Marko, Red Bull’s 82-year-old ever-present motorsport adviser, and Verstappen’s father Jos, to remove him. Jos told Daily Mail Sport last year that Red Bull would ‘explode’ if Horner stayed in post.

Red Bull supremo Oliver Mintzlaff (right) alongside motorsport adviser Helmut Marko, sought to wrest more control over the F1 organisation's wider business interests

Red Bull supremo Oliver Mintzlaff (right) alongside motorsport adviser Helmut Marko, sought to wrest more control over the F1 organisation’s wider business interests

Chalerm Yoovidhya, Red Bull's Thai co-owner, stood by Horner against his enemies on the Austrian wing of the company

Chalerm Yoovidhya, Red Bull’s Thai co-owner, stood by Horner against his enemies on the Austrian wing of the company

Horner has hugely missed being involved in the sport he loves since his removal

Horner has hugely missed being involved in the sport he loves since his removal 

These machinations played into the plot that brought Horner low when Chalerm went along with the anti-Horner brigade this July, albeit with great reluctance, after being lent on heavily by the opposing faction.

He withdrew his support and that was the end of Horner at Red Bull. Since then, Horner has hugely missed being involved in the sport he loves and has remained in contact with members of his old team.

Laurent Mekies, a well-regarded engineer from France, has taken Horner’s old role. He has moved up from the stable’s junior team, Racing Bulls – to where, after a distinguished career at Ferrari and the FIA, he was ironically appointed by Horner.

Red Bull’s results have been impressive in recent weeks, with Verstappen taking victories in Monza a fortnight ago and Azerbaijan this past weekend.

You May Also Like

Shabana Mahmood Backs Fairer Asylum Seeker Distribution

Shabana Mahmood has reinforced Andy Burnham’s call for asylum seekers to be…

Karmelo Anthony’s Lawyer Shares Personal Puberty Detail During Case

A murder trial that exposed deep racial divisions across the country came…

Missing Sydney Bushwalker Lily Hooper Found Dead

The family of missing hiker Lily Hooper suffered an agonising few minutes…

Trump Aide Caught in Foul-Mouthed Explosion During Meltdown

It was the sort of spotlight Washington usually directs at presidents, celebrities…

Angie Nixon’s Florida Senate Upset Hands DSA Breakthrough as GOP Looms

WASHINGTON — The Democratic Socialists of America notched a major breakthrough in…

Gayle King Criticizes Hayden Panettiere’s Mother in Candid Interview

Gayle King did not hold back in her response to Hayden Panettiere’s…

Jon Ossoff Stands by Controversial Remark About Female Trump Aide

WASHINGTON — Sen. Jon Ossoff of Georgia is standing by a controversial…

Prince Harry Beams as He Breaks Cover Hours After UK Revelation

Prince Harry appeared in buoyant spirits as he was photographed for the…

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Secret Cotswolds House Hunt

Harry and Meghan are believed to have made a discreet stay in…

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Already Have New Home Lined Up

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are said to have quietly lined up…

Judge Bars Rep. Lauren Boebert’s Son Tyler Boebert From Contacting Ex in Child Exploitation Case

Rep. Lauren Boebert’s son, Tyler Boebert, has been instructed by a Colorado…

Surrogate Who Refused to Abort Baby Faces New Battle Over Child’s Name

A surrogate who declined to terminate a pregnancy after the baby was…