Over 66,000 Palestinians killed in Israel-Hamas conflict, Gaza officials say

Gaza Officials Report Over 66,000 Palestinian Casualties in Israel-Hamas Conflict

Trump has maintained his support for Israel, but he has been showing some frustration, especially following Israel’s airstrike on Qatar earlier this month.

WASHINGTON — On the brink of a meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Sunday that Israel is collaborating with the White House on a new ceasefire plan, although the specifics are still being worked out.

Facing intense global pressure to halt the conflict, particularly amidst the continuous campaign in Gaza City, Netanyahu is under scrutiny. The casualty count from the Israel-Hamas conflict has risen to over 66,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry on Sunday.

In Monday’s White House meeting, Trump is expected to share a new proposal for ending the conflict.

“We’re in the process,” Netanyahu informed Fox News Sunday’s “The Sunday Briefing.” “The plan isn’t finalized yet, but we are actively working with President Trump’s team right now, and I’m hopeful we will succeed.”

Arab officials familiar with the plan describe a 21-point proposal that includes an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages held by Hamas within two days, and a phased withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza. These officials requested anonymity as the proposal has yet to be officially disclosed.

Netanyahu has pledged to persist in the battle until Hamas, responsible for the October 7, 2023, assault that sparked the war, is eliminated. Nonetheless, he reiterated his proposal allowing Hamas members to exit Gaza as part of an agreement to end the hostilities.

“If they finish the war, release all the hostages, we let them out,” he said.

Growing international pressure on Israel

Trump has so far stood behind Israel. But the U.S. leader has shown signs of impatience lately, particularly after Israel struck the headquarters of Hamas’ political leadership in Doha, Qatar, earlier this month. Ceasefire talks have stalled since, despite growing international and domestic protests.

Key Western allies have joined a list of countries recognizing a Palestinian state over Israeli objections. The European Union is considering sanctions and there are growing moves for a sports and cultural boycott against Israel.

A defiant Netanyahu told fellow world leaders Friday at the U.N. General Assembly that his nation “must finish the job” against Hamas in Gaza, where 48 hostages are still held captive, around 20 of them believed by Israel to be alive.

Trump’s 21-point ceasefire plan

Trump’s ceasefire proposal would include the release of all hostages within 48 hours and a gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces from the Palestinian enclave, according to three Arab officials briefed on the plan. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing talks, said the proposal is not final and changes are highly likely.

Trump discussed the proposal with Arab leaders in New York on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly.

A Hamas official said the group was briefed on the plan but has yet to receive an official offer from Egyptian and Qatari mediators. Hamas has said it is ready to “study any proposals positively and responsibly.”

The official said the group had previously said it was willing to release all hostages in return for an end to the war and a complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from the strip.

Nonstop explosions reported in Gaza

Local hospitals in central Gaza said at least 10 people were killed when at least two strikes hit homes in the Nuseirat refugee camp.

Gaza’s Health Ministry said in its daily report the death toll has climbed to 66,005, with a further 168,162 wounded since the war started.

The ministry, part of the Hamas-run administration, does not differentiate between civilians and militants in its toll, but has said women and children make up around half the dead. Its figures are seen as a reliable estimate by the U.N. and many independent experts.

Residents reported hearing sounds of explosions overnight across the city, likely coming from the demolition of buildings through the detonation of explosive-laden vehicles and robots. “They were nonstop,” Sayed Baker, a Palestinian who shelters close to a Shifa hospital, said of the explosions.

The Israeli military did not immediately comment on the strikes, but said it struck 140 Hamas military targets over the past 24 hours, including militants, observation equipment and infrastructure.

On Sunday, the military said it had struck a high-rise building in Gaza City after warning residents to evacuate. The strike leveled the 16-story Macca tower. No casualties were reported.

The Israeli military said the building housed “military infrastructure belonging to Hamas.” It is the latest in a series of demolitions in recent weeks as Israel expands its offensive.

Israel’s offensive has destroyed vast areas of Gaza, displacing around 90% of the population amid a catastrophic humanitarian crisis, with experts saying Gaza City is experiencing famine.

On Sunday, Israeli security forces also shot dead the alleged attacker in an incident in which a man was seriously injured at a road junction near Nablus in the West Bank. The attack was praised by Hamas. Violence has surged in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, which alongside Gaza and east Jerusalem was captured by Israel in the 1967 Mideast war and the Palestinians want for a future state. ___ Magdy reported from Cairo and Dell’Orto reported from Jerusalem. Associated Press writer Sam Mednick in Tel Aviv contributed to this report.

Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.     

You May Also Like

Marc Jacobs Says He’d Dress Luigi Mangione for Trial in Candid Podcast Interview - Internewscast Journal

Marc Jacobs Says He’d Dress Luigi Mangione for Trial in Candid Podcast Interview

Marc Jacobs says he would not rule out dressing Luigi Mangione for…
Aisha Wahab Wins California Special Election to Fill Eric Swalwell’s Congressional Seat - Internewscast Journal

Aisha Wahab Wins California Special Election to Fill Eric Swalwell’s Congressional Seat

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California legislator Aisha Wahab won Thursday’s special election…
DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources - Internewscast Journal

DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources

Claims that the Drug Enforcement Administration has joined an investigation into the…
Missouri Court Clears GOP-Friendly U.S. House Map for November Election - Internewscast Journal

Missouri Court Clears GOP-Friendly U.S. House Map for November Election

A Missouri judge has cleared the way for newly drawn U.S. House…
King Charles Learned of Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Days Ago - Internewscast Journal

King Charles Learned of Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Days Ago

King Charles was reportedly caught off guard by Prince Harry and Meghan…
Historic Keasbey Fire Department Dissolved After 118 Years Serving Woodbridge, NJ - Internewscast Journal

Historic Keasbey Fire Department Dissolved After 118 Years Serving Woodbridge, NJ

A century-old firehouse has been extinguished. A New Jersey fire department that…
Woman Accused of Plotting: What the Allegation Means Now - Internewscast Journal

Woman Accused of Plotting: What the Allegation Means Now

Federal authorities said Thursday that an alleged terror plot targeting Albany was…
Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted - Internewscast Journal

Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted

Dwayne Quamina, a Navy veteran and Mr. Olympia competitor known to bodybuilding…
Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock - Internewscast Journal

Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock

PASADENA, Calif. — A Pasadena neighborhood is upset after video surfaced showing…
Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home - Internewscast Journal

Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home

A 58-year-old woman linked to a longtime Massachusetts police officer found dead…
Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal

Karmelo Anthony, who was previously convicted in the murder of 17-year-old Austin…
Judge Weighs New Trial for Karmelo Anthony After Legal Win - Internewscast Journal

Judge Weighs New Trial for Karmelo Anthony After Legal Win

A Texas judge is set to weigh on Thursday whether teenager Karmelo…