'It's his fault': Madeleine McCann suspect tries to confront prosecutor

Christian Brueckner reportedly travelled for hours to confront the German prosecutor who has accused him of murdering the toddler after she disappeared while her family were on holiday in the touristic Algarve region in 2007.

“The prosecutor refused to meet me, but I told his representative I wanted his help to get my life back,” he told Sky News UK.

Portuguese sources have named the suspect as Christian Brueckner.
German prosecutors first named Christian Brueckner a suspect in 2020, when he was already serving the sentence for raping a 72-year-old woman in part of Portugal’s Algarve region where McCann went missing. (Supplied)

“I’m being hounded by the media, and it’s his fault. I want him to take responsibility.

“I was told there was nothing they could do to help. I had been convicted and released, and I wasn’t their responsibility.”

Madeleine disappeared from her family’s holiday apartment on May 3, 2007, days before her fourth birthday.

Despite an investigation spanning more than 18 years, no charges against a suspect have ever been laid.

German prosecutors first named Christian Brueckner a suspect in 2020, when he was already serving a sentence for raping a 72-year-old woman in part of Portugal’s Algarve region where McCann went missing.

Hans Christian Wolters, the lead German prosecutor, created headlines when he claimed he had “concrete” evidence Madeleine was dead, and that Brueckner had killed her.

Brueckner’s lawyer denies any connection with the McCann case.

‘Maddie McCann Suspect Blames Prosecutor in Heated Exchange’
Madeleine McCann. (Supplied)

Brueckner has convictions for child abuse and drug trafficking in addition to the rape of the woman, who has since died.

Police in Britain, Germany and Portugal, who have identified Brueckner as their main suspect, have long sought evidence to link him conclusively to the case.

He spent many years in Portugal, including in Praia da Luz around the time of Madeleine’s disappearance there in 2007. He has denied any involvement in her disappearance.

You May Also Like

Son Asked Dad to Talk, Then Stabbed Him in Neck: Police

Inset: Joseph Niemiec (Hall County Jail). Background: The 4200 block of 21st…

5-Year-Old Doing Homework Finds Dad’s Gun, Shoots Himself: Police

Background: The Memphis, Tennessee, home where authorities say the fatal shooting occurred…

White House Lawyer Opposes ABA Bid to Identify Advisers Behind Trump Law Firm Executive Orders

President Donald Trump listens during a Cabinet meeting on Friday, July 31,…

Trump DOJ Cites James Comey Novel as It Argues Jury Should Decide If Seashells Were Coded Threat to Kill President

Main: Former FBI Director James Comey speaks at Harvard University’s Institute of…

Armed Gainesville Man Arrested in Domestic Injunction Violation

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 42-year-old Gainesville man, Reginald Tremaine Thomas,…

Meijer Hostage Standoff: Dead Man’s Switch, Hypnotists Demanded

Inset: Anthony Lehman (Waukesha County Jail). Background: A Meijer store in Waukesha,…