Trump says Israel and Hamas agree to 'first phase' of Gaza peace deal
Share this @internewscast.com

Hamas is anticipated to release all living Israeli hostages imminently after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that Israel and Hamas had consented to the “first phase” of a peace agreement for Gaza.

“I am very proud to announce that Israel and Hamas have both signed off on the first Phase of our Peace Plan,” he wrote on Truth Social.

“This indicates that ALL of the Hostages will be freed very soon, and Israel will pull back their troops to a mutually agreed line as the initial steps toward a Strong, Durable, and Everlasting Peace.”

US President Donald Trump has announced a Gaza peace agreement on Truth Social.(AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)

In a Tuesday statement, Hamas reaffirmed its consistent demands for a permanent ceasefire and a total Israeli withdrawal from Gaza but made no mention of disarmament, a measure it has persistently opposed.

Hamas has also spoken against the idea of international rule, though it has agreed it will have no role in governing post-war Gaza.

Speaking in Sharm el-Sheikh, Hamas’ chief negotiator Khalil al-Hayya told Egypt’s Qahera TV that the group seeks firm assurances from Trump and mediators that the conflict “will not return”.

It seemed to be his first public appearance since an Israeli assault targeting him and other leading Hamas officials in Qatar last month resulted in six deaths, including his son and office manager.

Civilians flee in Rafah as Israel pushes ahead with its offensive

In January, the two sides had a ceasefire that brought the release of some Israeli hostages in exchange for Palestinians imprisoned by Israel.

Under the arrangement—which Trump and U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff significantly helped negotiate—the parties were then expected to enter talks over a long-term truce, an Israeli withdrawal, and a complete hostage release.

But Israel broke the ceasefire in March, resuming its campaign of bombardment and offensives, saying it aimed to pressure Hamas for the remaining hostage releases.

Past rounds of negotiations have frequently fallen apart over the same obstacle, with Hamas demanding assurances of the war’s end and Netanyahu vowing to keep fighting until the group is destroyed.

The Trump plan attempts to resolve all the issues at once, by laying out Hamas disarmament and a post-war scenario for governing the territory with provisions for a major reconstruction campaign.

– Reported with Associated Press and CNN.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Brandan Koschel attended the March for Australia protest alongside hundreds of others winding their way through Sydney's city centre.

White Supremacist Sentenced for Incendiary Australia Day Speech

A man who threw his support behind neo-Nazis and spouted anti-Semitic remarks…

Name Revealed: Court Lifts Suppression Order on Alleged Invasion Day Bomber

A Perth magistrate has lifted the anonymity of a man accused of…
Reverend Jesse Jackson dead at 84

Reverend Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

The Reverend Jesse Louis Jackson, the towering civil rights leader whose moral…
SA Police has released the first picture of missing 4-year-old boy Gus Lamont.

Authorities Conduct Thorough Search of Outhouse and Nearby Tank at Sheep Station in Ongoing Investigation for Missing Person Gus

Today, major crime investigators were observed examining a water tank and an…
Coles tells court shoppers care about 'fair dinkum' discounts

Coles Reveals Shopper Loyalty Hinges on Authentic Discounts: A Courtroom Insight

Coles has stood by its “down down” discount strategy, asserting that customers…

Tilda Swinton and Javier Bardem Lead Stars in Criticizing Berlin Film Festival’s Silence on Gaza Crisis

In brief Many signatories to the letter are artists who have presented…
The Australian Education Union is urging the Victorian Government to trial a four-day work week for teachers to avoid future recruitment issues.

Proposal for a Four-Day Work Week for Teachers Gains Momentum

The Australian Education Union is urging the Victorian government to trial a…

Exposing the Exploitation: Urgent Oversight Needed as NDIS Providers Threaten First Nations’ Vulnerable

Individuals with disabilities, considered vulnerable, are being lured with monetary incentives, food,…
Health insurance hike to 'push many households to the edge'

Impending Health Insurance Increase Poised to Strain Household Budgets

Australians are about to be hit with the largest average price hike…
One Nation leader Senator Pauline Hanson during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 19 January 2026.

Pauline Hanson Faces Backlash: Controversial Remarks Slammed as ‘Un-Australian

One of Australia’s most prominent conservative senators has delivered a stinging critique…
The Todd Tavern in Alice Springs is one of 20 venues where the serving of alcohol will be further restricted.

Alice Springs Enforces New Mid-Week Pub Rules: No Meal, No Pint Policy Shakes Up Local Scene

A sweeping reform is set to hit pubs in Alice Springs as…

Sydney Eases Protest Restrictions Following Two-Month Enforcement Period

In brief NSW Police commissioner Mal Lanyon said he was satisfied there…