Israel, Hamas swap bodies after 'hostage' error threatens peace
Share this @internewscast.com

This morning, the Red Cross took possession of the remains of two additional hostages held by Hamas, shortly after the Israeli military reported a case of mistaken identity regarding a previously returned body. The initial error has added another layer of tension to the already delicate ceasefire that has temporarily halted the ongoing two-year conflict.

The Israeli military confirmed that the International Committee of the Red Cross had received the new remains, which were set to be handed over to Israeli forces operating in Gaza. Meanwhile, two hostages whose bodies were recently released from Gaza are scheduled for burial today.

Hamas spokesperson Hazem Kassem communicated via Telegram that the group remains committed to returning the bodies of hostages as per the agreed terms. However, Kassem also leveled accusations against Israel, alleging that they breached the agreement with incidents of gunfire in eastern Gaza City and Rafah on Tuesday.

Israeli soldiers carry the coffin of slain hostage Captain Daniel Peretz during his funeral at Mt Herzl military cemetery in Jerusalem.(Getty)

Two hostages whose bodies were released from Gaza were being buried Wednesday.

Hamas spokesperson Hazem Kassem said on the Telegram messaging app that the group was working to return the bodies of the hostages as agreed.

Kassem also accused Israel of violating the deal with shootings Tuesday in eastern Gaza City and the southern city of Rafah.

Israel’s defence minister, Israel Katz, said the military is operating along the deployment lines troops withdrew to under the deal, and he warned that anyone approaching the lines will be targeted, as happened Tuesday with several militants.

The World Food Program said its trucks began arriving in Gaza after the entrance of humanitarian aid into Gaza was paused for two days due to the exchange on Monday and a Jewish holiday Tuesday.

The timing of the scaled-up deliveries – which are part of the ceasefire deal – had been called into question after Israel said Tuesday that it would cut the number of trucks allowed into Gaza, saying Hamas was too slow to return the hostages’ bodies.

Abeer Etefa, spokesperson for the World Food Program, lauded the trucks’ passage but said the situation remained unpredictable.

“We’re hopeful that access will improve in the coming days,” she said.

The Egyptian Red Crescent said 400 trucks carrying food, fuel and medical supplies were bound for Gaza on Wednesday.

COGAT declined to comment on the number of trucks expected to enter Gaza on Wednesday.

“Throughout this crisis, we have insisted that withholding aid from civilians is not a bargaining chip,” UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher said in a statement.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Jetstar

Jetstar Passengers Face New Delays Amid Urgent Airbus Repairs

Thousands of Airbus aircraft are currently grounded due to a major recall,…
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle as Climate Activists Rally for Change

In a bold display of civil disobedience, climate change activists have once…
Award-winning British playwright dead at the age of 88

Renowned British Playwright Passes Away at 88

Renowned British playwright Tom Stoppard, celebrated for his witty and thought-provoking works,…
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,

Investigation Launched into Corruption and Negligence Behind Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

The tragic fire in Hong Kong, marking the deadliest in decades, has…

Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon Tie the Knot in Heartwarming Ceremony at The Lodge

Anthony Albanese has tied the knot with his fiancée Jodie Haydon at…
President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela greets his supporters during a rally to commemorate Indigenous Resistance Day on October 12, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela.

Trump Urges Caution: Advises Treating Venezuelan Airspace as Off-Limits

President Donald Trump on Saturday said that the airspace “above and surrounding”…

Government Stalled: Public Outcry as Critical Reforms Remain Unaddressed

The government is facing pressure to axe “dangerous” reforms to Australia’s freedom…
Melburnians flocked to the newly opened Melbourne Metro Tunnel today.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Opens After Years of Delays: Navigating Initial Challenges for Commuters

This morning marked the debut of Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel to commuters, although…
ChatGPT is about to get a lot hornier

Exciting Updates: ChatGPT Introduces More Engaging Features

ChatGPT is on the verge of undergoing a transformation that could make…

Southeast Asia Floods Claim Over 400 Lives as Recovery Efforts Commence

The death toll from devastating floods and landslides in Southeast Asia climbed…
Rugby league great Nathan Wood (right) has opened up on being diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)

Football Star Courageously Shares Diagnosis of Severe Brain Disease with His Mother; Her Reaction is Profound

Former NRL athlete Nat Wood has courageously shared his struggle with thoughts…
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Massive Industrial Inferno Rages in Western Sydney: Firefighters Brace for Days-Long Battle

In Sydney’s western region, an intense factory blaze saw around 200 firefighters…