Over 100 killed in Brazil’s deadliest police raid as Rio authorities battle drug gangs in favelas

In a tragic turn of events, at least 132 individuals, including four police officers, lost their lives on Tuesday following a massive police operation in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, as reported by various media outlets.

The operation, conducted in the city’s favelas—areas notorious for their struggles with organized crime—marked a grim milestone as the deadliest police raid in Rio’s history, according to the BBC. Authorities aimed to dismantle the drug gangs dominating extensive sections of the city, specifically targeting the influential Comando Vermelho, or “Red Command” group.

The death toll was confirmed by the local public defender’s office, though Rio’s state Governor, Cláudio Castro, highlighted that forensic investigations were still ongoing. He mentioned that the official figure he received was 58 fatalities, though he noted this number was “certain to change.”

Brazilian police officers seen during a deadly raid in Rio.

In a dramatic scene, police officers were seen escorting a suspect from the Vila Cruzeiro favela in the Penha complex of Rio de Janeiro. This was part of a larger operation involving at least 2,500 security personnel aiming to apprehend drug traffickers. (Photo by Mauro Pimintel/AFP via Getty Images)

Governor Castro clarified, “To be quite honest, the conflict did not occur in populated areas—it was in the woods. No one was casually wandering through the woods during such a conflict, which is why we can categorize them easily.”

Authorities disclosed that gang members allegedly resorted to using drones to deploy explosives against police officers during the operation.

“This is how the Rio police are treated by criminals: with bombs dropped by drones. This is the scale of the challenge we face. This is not ordinary crime, but narco-terrorism,” Castro said.

Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva expressed shock over the killings and said he was surprised the federal government had not been informed about the raid beforehand.

A press conference after a deadly raid in Brazil.

Rio de Janeiro’s public security chief Victor dos Santos addresses the media as weapons (not pictured) are displayed, which the police said were captured during what was the deadliest police operation in Brazil’s history. (Reuters/Tita Barros)

On X, formerly Twitter, Castro said the raid had been planned for more than two months following a year-long investigation and that “the scenario encountered was the one that had been anticipated.”

He also paid tribute to the four officers killed during the operation.

“Marcus Vinícius Cardoso de Carvalho, commissioner of the 53rd Police Station; Rodrigo Velloso Cabral, from the 39th Police Station; and Cleiton Serafim Gonçalves and Heber Carvalho da Fonseca, both sergeants of BOPE, gave their lives fulfilling the duty to protect the Fluminense population,” the governor wrote.

On Wednesday, Castro’s office said 113 people had been arrested, 10 teenagers were detained and authorities seized 91 rifles, 29 pistols, 14 explosive devices and one ton of cocaine.

Weapons seized from a raid in Brazil.

Officials display firearms during a press conference, which the police said were captured during what was the deadliest police operation in Brazil’s history, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, October 29, 2025.  (Reuters/Tita Barros)

The deadly raid has renewed debate in Brazil over police tactics, human rights, and the government’s ongoing struggle to control powerful gangs entrenched in Rio’s impoverished communities.

You May Also Like

Brawl Erupts at Wisconsin State Fair During Festival Finale - Internewscast Journal

Brawl Erupts at Wisconsin State Fair During Festival Finale

Chaos erupts at the Wisconsin State Fair. What is typically a family-friendly…
Florida Boater Gets Life for 2024 Melvin Jimenez Murder - Internewscast Journal

Florida Boater Gets Life for 2024 Melvin Jimenez Murder

A Florida sailor has been sentenced to life behind bars after prosecutors…
Liberia to Accept 1,200 Third-Country Deportees from the US Within a Year - Internewscast Journal

Liberia to Accept 1,200 Third-Country Deportees from the US Within a Year

ICE reportedly to target Haitian migrants as protected status ends Former acting…
Derek Chauvin Challenges Floyd Murder Conviction as Unlawful - Internewscast Journal

Derek Chauvin Challenges Floyd Murder Conviction as Unlawful

Judge approves new lawyer for Bryan Kohberger in Idaho murder trial A…
Trump Ends Illegal Migrant Tax Credits in $3B Savings Move - Internewscast Journal

Trump Ends Illegal Migrant Tax Credits in $3B Savings Move

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is moving to block illegal immigrants from…
Third body found in Minneapolis in three days as police investigate string of deaths: report

Minneapolis Police Investigate String of Deaths After Third Body Found in Three Days

Authorities in Minneapolis have reportedly made another grim discovery, with a body…
Tyler Robinson Rarely Hit Bullseye in Practice, Put Bystanders at Risk in Kirk Shooting, Prosecutors Say - Internewscast Journal

Tyler Robinson Rarely Hit Bullseye in Practice, Put Bystanders at Risk in Kirk Shooting, Prosecutors Say

Kirk family faces accused assassin in Utah court for preliminary hearing Fox…
Privileged DSA Leader Fired for Skipping Electrician Gig - Internewscast Journal

Privileged DSA Leader Fired for Skipping Electrician Gig

A senior Democratic Socialists of America figure, whose parents helped place him…
Sen. Darline Graham’s Debate Flop Exposes National Security Gap - Internewscast Journal

Sen. Darline Graham’s Debate Flop Exposes National Security Gap

WASHINGTON — Sen. Darline Graham Nordone (R-SC) faltered twice in a bruising…
Virginia county expecting its data centers to bring in $1.3B haul in tax revenue

Virginia County Expects Data Centers to Generate $1.3B Tax Revenue Windfall

In one of Virginia’s most affluent counties, the rapid rise of data…
Meta Faces Oakland Court Battle as States Sue Over Teen Social Media Use - Internewscast Journal

Meta Faces Oakland Court Battle as States Sue Over Teen Social Media Use

Outside a federal courthouse in Oakland on Tuesday, grieving parents held photos…
Moderna Stock Doubles on Promising Melanoma Vaccine Trial - Internewscast Journal

Moderna Stock Doubles on Promising Melanoma Vaccine Trial

Moderna shares rocketed higher Wednesday morning after the biotech company reported encouraging…