National Guardsman Andrew Wolfe still ‘fighting for his life’ after DC shooting
Share this @internewscast.com

In a harrowing incident in Washington, D.C., West Virginia National Guardsman Andrew Wolfe remains in critical condition after a brutal ambush-style shooting that tragically took the life of fellow officer Sarah Beckstrom. This grim event unfolded three days ago, leaving Wolfe clinging to life.

During an appearance on “FOX & Friends Weekend,” West Virginia Governor Patrick Morrisey described Wolfe’s condition as “very serious.” He emphasized the urgent need for public support, as Wolfe’s family earnestly requests prayers during this difficult time.

Governor Morrisey highlighted Wolfe’s deep-rooted connection to service, noting that his family has a long-standing tradition of contributing both locally and in the military. This legacy of service has rallied a close-knit community around Wolfe, who are steadfastly supporting him in his battle for recovery.

“What they want most right now is for everyone to continue praying,” Moore added, acknowledging the family’s unwavering belief in the power of prayer. He urged the public to keep Wolfe in their thoughts and prayers, reinforcing the collective hope for his recovery.

Moore provided few details on Wolfe’s current condition, but said, “Andy is hanging on.” He has undergone at least one surgery since the shooting.

“He’s a fighter, and his family has told me that, time and time again, he is a fighter,” the rep added. “But above all, what they want here is for everybody to continue to pray. I believe in the power of prayer and I can promise you his parents believe in the power of prayer. … Please keep praying.”

Wolfe, a 24-year-old Air Force staff sergeant, had been deployed to the nation’s capital as part of the Trump administration’s efforts to crack down on what it has called rampant crime in major cities across the U.S. He and Beckstrom, a 20-year-old Army specialist, were shot at close range on Wednesday afternoon, just blocks away from the White House.

The alleged gunman has since been identified as 29-year-old Afghan citizen Rahmanullah Lakanwal. After firing off his rounds, he himself was shot by another member of the National Guard.

Both Beckstrom and Wolfe were hospitalized in very critical condition.

The following day, President Trump announced Beckstrom’s death during a Thanksgiving call to U.S. troops, remembering her as a “highly respected, young, magnificent person” and “outstanding in every way.”

In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, Lakanwal was charged with three counts of assault with the intent to kill while armed and criminal possession of a weapon. In the wake of Beckstrom’s death, U.S. Attorney for D.C. Jeanine Pirro said he would also face a charge of first-degree murder.

Sarah Beckstrom.
This photo provided by the U.S. Attorney’s Office on Thursday, Nov. 27, 2025, shows National Guard member Specialist Sarah Beckstrom. (U.S. Attorney’s Office via AP)

The upgraded charges come after Attorney General Pam Bondi vowed to “do everything in our power to seek the death penalty against that monster.”

An investigation into the motive for the shooting remains ongoing.

According to officials, Lakanwal entered the U.S. in September 2021 through the Biden administration’s Operation Allies Welcome initiative, a program that evacuated and resettled Afghan allies who worked with the U.S. during the 20-year war against the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The suspect in the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, D.C., has been identified as 29-year-old Afghan citizen Rahmanullah Lakanwal.

Getty

The suspect in the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, D.C., has been identified as 29-year-old Afghan citizen Rahmanullah Lakanwal. (Getty)

Lakanwal worked alongside the CIA in so-called “Zero Units,” groups of Afghan commandos who carried out missions planned by the agency and played a key role in the chaotic U.S. withdrawal from the country.

In the last four years, he’d been living in Bellingham, Wash, with his wife and five kids and working as a delivery driver. He applied for asylum during the Biden administration, but it was granted this year under Trump.

In the days since the shooting, the Trump administration has halted all asylum decisions and paused issuing visas for people traveling on Afghan passports, seizing on the tragedy to escalate its crackdown on immigration.

With News Wire Services

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Sex trafficking has to be confronted

Urgent Action Required: Addressing the Crisis of Human Trafficking

Parents naturally want to ensure the safety of their children. However, an…
Multiple victims with gunshot wounds at Valley Fair Mall in California on Black Friday: police

Gunfire Erupts at California’s Valley Fair Mall on Black Friday, Police Report Multiple Injuries

A shooting at Westfield Valley Fair Mall in San Jose, California, has…
San Francisco doctor's steady hand masters the art of surgery

Discover How a San Francisco Surgeon Perfects Precision in the Operating Room

SAN FRANCISCO — Discipline, creativity, and precision are essential traits for an…
Beach Park man Erik Crump charged with arson after setting fire to home after Thanksgiving argument: Lake County sheriff

Beach Park Resident Erik Crump Faces Arson Charges Following Post-Thanksgiving Dispute: Lake County Authorities Report

A domestic dispute during the Thanksgiving holiday led to a house fire…
Ice skating in the Sunshine state: rink opens under Fuller Warren Bridge

Florida’s New Ice Skating Rink Debuts Under Fuller Warren Bridge: A Cool Escape in the Sunshine State

Ice skating enthusiasts can glide across the public rink until January 19th.…
CIA‑Linked Zero Unit Fighter Accused of Killing DC National Guard

Shocking Allegations: CIA-Linked Operative Tied to DC National Guard’s Fatal Incident

A former CIA-backed Afghan commando accused of gunning down two West Virginia…
Illinois man charged with arson after allegedly setting home ablaze on Thanksgiving

Illinois Resident Accused of Thanksgiving Day House Fire

In a shocking Thanksgiving incident, an Illinois man found himself behind bars…
Hegseth slams report on boat strike targeting attack survivors, denies war crimes

Hegseth Criticizes Allegations of Boat Strike on Attack Survivors, Refutes War Crime Claims

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has vehemently dismissed allegations suggesting that he commanded…
Dad fights off repeat offender accused of creeping toward kids as family slept – ‘Somebody’s in our house’

Brave Dad Confronts Intruder Threatening Family’s Safety While They Slept

A family in Denver recently experienced a scenario that would send chills…
Driver carjacked in West Village by machete-wielding muggers

Driver Victimized by Machete-Wielding Assailants in West Village Carjacking

A man, aged 27, experienced a terrifying carjacking in downtown Manhattan when…
'It didn’t feel real': Georgia teen dances his way to New York City for Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Georgia Teen’s Dance Journey Takes Him to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City

As vibrant floats and rhythmic marching bands made their way down 34th…
President Donald Trump says he's terminating all orders Joe Biden signed with autopen

President Donald Trump Announces Plans to Revoke All Autopen-Signed Orders by Joe Biden

In a bold proclamation from the nation’s capital, former President Donald Trump…