Share this @internewscast.com


In brief

  • NSW Police commissioner Mal Lanyon said he was satisfied there was no need to extend the restrictions by another two weeks.
  • The organisers of a rally protesting Isaac Herzog’s Australian visit are still pursuing a constitutional challenge to the laws.

In a significant development, the stringent protest restrictions implemented following the December terror attack in Bondi have been officially lifted. On Tuesday, NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon announced that the special powers, which had limited public gatherings in certain parts of Sydney, were no longer necessary.

This decision comes shortly after a week of heightened tensions, where authorities forcefully dispersed protests against the visit of Israeli President Isaac Herzog to Australia. The demonstrations were marked by police using physical force and pepper spray on protestors, sparking considerable controversy.

In response to these events, the state’s police watchdog has launched an investigation after receiving numerous complaints alleging police misconduct during the anti-Herzog rally.

The protest limitations were initially introduced on Christmas Eve during an emergency session of the NSW parliament and had been extended several times since then.

Commissioner Lanyon noted that the latest extension of these restrictions was directly linked to President Herzog’s visit, emphasizing the importance of maintaining peace and order within the community.

The visit of the Israeli president had driven the latest extension of protest restrictions, Lanyon said, as he urged the community to be calm.

“We had the visit of a head of state; I had significant concerns about the safety of the community in managing the visit of a head of state (and) the movement of Jewish Australians who were there,” he said.

“I’m satisfied the conditions that led to the extension last time do not exist now, and I’m more than happy for (police) to work with protesters.”

Organisers of the 9 February rally are pressing on with a constitutional challenge in the NSW Court of Appeal to stop the laws from being used if a future terror attack is declared.

“The police commissioner was explicit that these undemocratic powers were all about “protecting” Herzog from “significant animosity” and mass protest,” the Palestine Action Group said.

“Protesters who had nowhere to go were pepper-sprayed, assaulted, injured and arrested by an out-of-control police force who thought they could act with impunity.”

How do the laws work?

The laws were rushed through NSW parliament after the deadly 14 December Bondi shooting and gave the commissioner the ability to limit protests after a declared terrorist incident.

The restrictions cover two-week periods, which can then be extended up to a total of three months.

Lanyon deployed his powers almost immediately, restricting protests across Sydney for two weeks from Christmas Eve.

The restrictions were later relaxed to cover areas that included most of the city centre and large parts of the eastern suburbs, including Bondi. They were extended by Lanyon multiple times.

Despite the fiery demonstration at Sydney’s Town Hall, where both police and protesters were hospitalised, Lanyon argued the use of the laws had been a success.

Under the restrictions, protesters at Town Hall were not allowed to march to parliament as they had intended. The event was also policed under a major events declaration that gave authorities powers to clear the area at their determination.

No officers have been stood down due to alleged police brutality, Lanyon said.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Hacker scam online

Massive Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of Hundreds of Thousands of Australians

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could have had highly personal information released…

Renowned U.S. Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

In Brief The Jackson family released a statement saying he “died peacefully…

Surge in Labor Data Signals Imminent Interest Rate Hike: Expert Insights

In Brief Australia’s unemployment rate held steady at 4.1 per cent for…

Discover How Gaza’s Palestinians Are Observing Ramadan Amidst a Fragile Peace

In Gaza City, the streets, though lined with the remnants of collapsed…
Mark Zuckerberg quizzed on children's Instagram use in social media trial

Mark Zuckerberg Faces Intense Scrutiny Over Kids’ Instagram Usage in Landmark Social Media Trial

Mark Zuckerberg faced a rigorous examination in a Los Angeles courtroom, engaging…
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…
coles trolley

Court Testimony Highlights Supermarket Giant’s Genuine Commitment to Customer Care

The supermarket colossus, Coles, is embroiled in a storm of controversy over…