Iran and US agree on 'guiding principles' of nuclear deal, Tehran says
Share this @internewscast.com

WASHINGTON — American and Iranian officials have reached a consensus on “guiding principles” during the latest round of discussions concerning Tehran’s nuclear ambitions, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi announced.

Speaking from Geneva, where the talks took place, Araghchi stated, “We’ve agreed on a general framework of guiding principles that will steer our future negotiations and aid in drafting a potential agreement.” He cautioned, however, that this development does not guarantee a swift resolution, adding, “The journey has commenced, but a final agreement remains distant.”

A U.S. representative confirmed, “Progress has been achieved, yet numerous details still require deliberation. The Iranians have committed to returning within the next fortnight with comprehensive proposals to bridge the gaps in our current positions.”

Vice President JD Vance shared his perspective with Fox News on Tuesday afternoon, noting, “In some respects, the talks were productive, but it’s evident that the president has established certain red lines that Iran has not yet been willing to acknowledge or address.”

The Trump administration has consistently pushed for the negotiations, led by U.S. special envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, to include discussions on Iran’s ballistic missile program and the treatment of anti-regime protesters—topics that Tehran remains unwilling to consider.

The Trump administration has insisted that Iran expand the negotiations — led by US special envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner — to cover its ballistic missile program and the treatment of anti-regime protesters, topics that Tehran has insisted are off the table.

“It’s got to be a good deal: no nuclear weapons, no missiles, no this, no that, all the different things that you want,” President Trump told Fox Business Network host Larry Kudlow of a potential agreement last week.

“Our primary interest here is we don’t want Iran to get a nuclear weapon,” agreed Vance Tuesday, adding that “everything is on the table.”

“We do have a very powerful military,” he told “The Story” host Martha MacCallum. “The president has shown a willingness to use it. He also has a remarkable diplomatic team. He’s shown a willingness to use that too.”

“But of course, the president reserves the ability to say when he thinks that diplomacy has reached its natural end,” Vance continued. “We hope we don’t get to that point. But if we do, that’ll be the president’s call.”

“We certainly want Iran to stop being a state sponsor of terrorism, one of the world’s largest state sponsors of terrorism,” the VP went on. “There are a lot of ways in which they endanger America’s national security. But the most important way they could is if they acquired a nuclear weapon.”

The Geneva talks followed indirect discussions Feb. 6 in Oman, which both sides described as positive.

As talks got underway Tuesday, Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei openly taunted Trump that America’s powerful naval buildup in the region could be “slapped so hard, it cannot get up.”

“The US president says their army is the world’s strongest, but the strongest army in the world can sometimes be slapped so hard it cannot get up,” the 86-year-old tyrant sneered in comments published by Iranian media.

Khamenei also threatened on X to sink US warships.

“The Americans constantly say that they’ve sent a warship toward Iran,” his team posted on his English X account. “Of course, a warship is a dangerous piece of military hardware. However, more dangerous than that warship is the weapon that can send that warship to the bottom of the sea.”

Additionally, Iran has carried out drills in the Strait of Hormuz, the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman.

During those exercises, Iran claimed to have briefly closed parts of the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s seaborne oil trade travels annually.

Meanwhile, Trump revealed last week that he had dispatched the world’s largest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, to the Middle East to join the USS Abraham Lincoln and its associated strike group. However, the Ford is at least 10 days away from arriving in the region.

Trump has repeatedly declined to rule out the possibility of taking military action against Iran, with the US buildup in the Middle East reminiscent of the fleet assembled in the Caribbean before the Jan. 3 raid to capture Venezuelan strongman Nicolas Maduro.

“I think they want to make a deal. I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal,” Trump told reporters Monday evening aboard Air Force One. 

In June last year, Trump ordered the bombing of three of Iran’s top nuclear sites, a mission he claimed “completely and totally obliterated” those facilities.

Iran has repeatedly denied that it has been pursuing a nuclear weapon, despite having at one point enriched uranium to 60%, far above the threshold needed for nuclear power plants.

“It seems like that would be the best thing that could happen,” Trump told reporters Friday when asked about the possibility of regime change in Iran.

When pressed about whether the US could target the Tehran regime’s nuclear sites again, Trump replied, “If we do it, that would be the least of the mission.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Lake Tahoe slammed with snow amid search for missing skiers

Intense Snowfall Engulfs Lake Tahoe as Search Efforts for Missing Skiers Continue

Rescue teams are facing significant challenges as they search for nine missing…
Minnesota school taught eighth-grade geography class ICE uses 'tricky and violent tactics': docs

Unveiling Controversy: Minnesota Eighth-Grade Geography Class Sparks Debate Over ICE Tactics Lesson

A recent controversy has emerged from a middle school in Minnesota, where…
Rep. Tony Gonzales aide who self-immolated admitted affair with lawmaker, text shows

Aide to Rep. Tony Gonzales Reveals Affair with Lawmaker Before Tragic Incident, Text Messages Confirm

WASHINGTON — A staff member for Representative Tony Gonzales conceded to a…
Jesse Jackson death: Reverend's family to speak Wednesday in Chicago on death of civil rights icon

Honoring a Legacy: Family of Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson to Address the Nation

Chicago is in a state of mourning following the passing of Reverend…
What is a data center? Expect more data centers in Illinois, like CyrusOne in Aurora, IL, amid noise, electric bill complaints

Why Illinois is Becoming the Next Data Center Hub: Uncover the Growth of Facilities like CyrusOne in Aurora

In Aurora, Illinois, data centers are increasingly becoming a prominent part of…
9 California skiers still missing after avalanche; 6 rescued

California Avalanche Update: 6 Skiers Rescued, 9 Still Missing Amid Search Efforts

In a dramatic incident near Lake Tahoe, California, six backcountry skiers emerged…
Man who was on FBI's 'most wanted' list for hurling cinderblock at ICE during LA riot faces 20 years

FBI’s Most Wanted Fugitive Faces 20-Year Sentence for Cinderblock Attack at ICE Facility During LA Riot

An individual who unleashed chaos by launching a massive cinderblock at ICE…
New Jersey Catholic diocese agrees to $180M settlement with survivors of alleged clergy sex abuse

New Jersey Catholic Diocese Reaches $180 Million Settlement with Clergy Abuse Survivors

A Catholic diocese in New Jersey has reached a $180 million settlement…
Iran and US agree on 'guiding principles' of nuclear deal, Tehran says

Iran and US Reach Key Agreement on Nuclear Deal Framework, Tehran Announces

WASHINGTON — In a significant development, U.S. and Iranian negotiators have reached…
Tom Steyer's lefty staff mocked him in now-deleted tweets

Tom Steyer’s Progressive Team Criticized Him in Tweets Later Removed

Before joining forces with billionaire Tom Steyer, staff at his campaign were…
Nearly 70 pounds of marijuana seized in Jacksonville bust, police say

Jacksonville Police Seize Nearly 70 Pounds of Marijuana in Major Drug Bust

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office has apprehended 25-year-old Benwah Wilson following the discovery…
NY jury urged to acquit suspect in Chinatown slayings by reason of insanity

Chinatown Slayings: Defense Appeals for Insanity Acquittal in High-Profile NY Trial

In a gripping courtroom scene on Wednesday, a Manhattan jury was confronted…