Share this @internewscast.com

In brief

  • Many signatories to the letter are artists who have presented work at the Berlin Film Festival in the past.
  • It comes after comments by the festival’s jury president, director Wim Wenders, that filmmakers should stay out of politics”.

Over 80 notable figures from the film industry, including Oscar winners Javier Bardem and Tilda Swinton, have united to sign an open letter expressing criticism towards the Berlin Film Festival for its “silence” on the situation in Gaza.

The letter’s signatories voiced their disapproval, stating they were “appalled” by the festival’s “institutional silence” and “dismayed” by its role in “censoring artists who oppose Israel’s ongoing genocide against Palestinians in Gaza.”

This statement was released following comments made by the Berlinale’s jury president, German director Wim Wenders, who, when asked about Gaza last week, remarked, “We cannot really enter the field of politics.”

Wenders’ remarks sparked a backlash, leading to actions such as the withdrawal of award-winning Indian novelist Arundhati Roy from the festival. Roy had been scheduled to present a restored version of her 1989 film, “In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones.”

Among the actors who endorsed the letter were Brian Cox and Alia Shawkat, while respected directors like British filmmaker Mike Leigh and American director Adam McKay also lent their support.

The list of signatories includes many artists with strong ties to the Berlin Film Festival. Notably, Tilda Swinton herself received the prestigious Honorary Golden Bear award at last year’s event.

Wim Wenders standing in front of a blue background.
Berlin Film Festival has faced criticism after the festival’s jury president, director Wim Wenders, said filmmakers should “stay out of politics”. Source: AAP / EPA / Clemens Bilan

They said they “fervently disagree” with Wenders’ comments, arguing that filmmaking and politics cannot be separated.

“Just as the festival has made clear statements in the past about atrocities carried out against people in Iran and Ukraine, we call on the Berlinale to fulfil its moral duty and clearly state its opposition to Israel’s genocide,” the letter adds.

The signatories took exception not only at the Berlinale’s stance of not engaging on the issue of Israel’s action in Gaza, but also “the German state’s key role in enabling it”.

When asked about Germany’s support for Israel at a press conference on Thursday, Wenders said filmmakers had “to stay out of politics”.

“We have to do the work of people, not the work of politicians,” he said.

On Saturday, the Berlinale put out a statement defending Wenders from the subsequent “media storm”, suggesting that his remarks had been taken out of context.

Festival director Tricia Tuttle said that artists “are free to exercise their right of free speech in whatever way they choose” and should not “be expected to speak on every political issue raised to them unless they want to”.

In 2024, the festival’s documentary award went to No Other Land, which follows the dispossession of Palestinian communities in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

Hamas’ attack on Israel in October 2023, in which more than 1,200 people were killed, sparked the devastating two-year war that saw Israel destroy most of Gaza and kill more than 70,000 people, according to health authorities in the territory.

In August, Germany imposed a partial arms embargo on Israel, which was lifted in November after the announcement of what has proved to be a fragile ceasefire for Gaza.

A United Nations Independent International Commission of Inquiry (COI), which does not speak on behalf of the UN as a whole and has been sharply criticised by Israel, concluded in September that Israel was committing genocide in Gaza.

Israel is separately defending a genocide case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), which has ordered provisional measures but has yet to issue a final ruling.

Israel has repeatedly denied committing genocide in Gaza, saying it has the right to defend itself.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…
coles trolley

Court Testimony Highlights Supermarket Giant’s Genuine Commitment to Customer Care

The supermarket colossus, Coles, is embroiled in a storm of controversy over…

Surge in Labor Data Signals Imminent Interest Rate Hike: Expert Insights

In Brief Australia’s unemployment rate held steady at 4.1 per cent for…

Renowned U.S. Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

In Brief The Jackson family released a statement saying he “died peacefully…

Latest Updates: The Ongoing Search for Missing Nancy Guthrie

In brief Nancy Guthrie was reported missing early this month. A promising…
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…

Sabina Ditches Snacking After Analyzing Sugar Levels: Is the Data Truly That Straightforward?

As Sabina Ziokowski glances at her app, a noticeable spike in her…
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…
Sydney had the nation's highest temperature just before midday today.

Sydney’s Sizzling Heatwave Ends Abruptly with Unexpected Downpour: A Weather Rollercoaster

Sydney was the hottest place in Australia briefly today before parts of…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…
Hacker scam online

Massive Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of Hundreds of Thousands of Australians

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could have had highly personal information released…