Share this @internewscast.com


In brief

  • Sydney Writers’ Festival said in a statement it was “not in the business of cancelling or censoring writers”.
  • Randa Abdel-Fattah was removed from the Adelaide Writers’ Week line-up this year, leading to a mass boycott.

Prominent Palestinian Australian author Randa Abdel-Fattah is set to be the main attraction at Australia’s largest writers’ festival following a controversial incident that led to her exclusion from a different literary event, igniting nationwide debate.

The Sydney Writers’ Festival has announced that Abdel-Fattah, a renowned academic, will be a key figure in its 2026 lineup. The festival aims to allow audiences to form their own opinions about her work.

Earlier in 2026, Abdel-Fattah was unexpectedly removed from the Adelaide Writers’ Week roster, which led to a significant backlash. This included a widespread boycott by other participants, the resignation of director Louise Adler as a form of protest, and ultimately, the cancellation of the event.

The decision to drop Abdel-Fattah stemmed from her comments on Israel and Zionism, notably a statement where she argued that Zionists should not expect “cultural safety.”

In response to the uproar, the Adelaide Festival board has since issued an apology and extended an invitation to Abdel-Fattah to participate in the 2027 Writers’ Week.

The Sydney Writers’ Festival’s CEO, Brooke Webb, and artistic director, Ann Mossop, have expressed their support for Abdel-Fattah, emphasizing the importance of writers to the success of any festival.

“A festival like ours, which holds freedom of expression as a core value, is not in the business of cancelling or censoring writers,” the statement read.

“A writers’ festival provides a rare and welcome opportunity for readers and writers to come together for nuanced conversations about complex and sometimes difficult topics … readers can make up their own minds about what they would like to attend.”

In a post on social media announcing her appearance at the festival, Abdel-Fattah said: “In the midst of suffocating repression and racism, celebrate the wins. May we all remain undisciplined.”

The organisers’ decision to include her defied comments by NSW Premier Chris Minns, who had questioned Abdel-Fattah’s inclusion in another festival at Newcastle.

“We respect public figures and members of the community may hold different views … they are entitled to do so,” the Sydney Writers’ Festival statement read.

Abdel-Fattah had defended her comments in the wake of the Adelaide cancellation, denying she had ever said Jewish people are not entitled to cultural safety.

“But political ideologies cannot use cultural safety as a shield from criticism,” she told ABC Radio in January.

“I’m really fed up with the way my words are being deliberately and maliciously and mendaciously mischaracterised to paint me as an antisemite when I have never, ever expressed any antisemitism.”

She has also flagged a defamation case against South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas over comments comparing her to a “terrorist sympathiser”.

Sydney Writers’ Festival will announce its full 2026 program on 10 March. The event will be held in May.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Exposing the Exploitation: Urgent Oversight Needed as NDIS Providers Threaten First Nations’ Vulnerable

Individuals with disabilities, considered vulnerable, are being lured with monetary incentives, food,…
One Nation leader Senator Pauline Hanson during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 19 January 2026.

Pauline Hanson Faces Backlash: Controversial Remarks Slammed as ‘Un-Australian

One of Australia’s most prominent conservative senators has delivered a stinging critique…

Latest Updates: The Ongoing Search for Missing Nancy Guthrie

In brief Nancy Guthrie was reported missing early this month. A promising…
Brandan Koschel attended the March for Australia protest alongside hundreds of others winding their way through Sydney's city centre.

White Supremacist Sentenced for Incendiary Australia Day Speech

A man who threw his support behind neo-Nazis and spouted anti-Semitic remarks…
SA Police has released the first picture of missing 4-year-old boy Gus Lamont.

Authorities Conduct Thorough Search of Outhouse and Nearby Tank at Sheep Station in Ongoing Investigation for Missing Person Gus

Today, major crime investigators were observed examining a water tank and an…
The Todd Tavern in Alice Springs is one of 20 venues where the serving of alcohol will be further restricted.

Alice Springs Enforces New Mid-Week Pub Rules: No Meal, No Pint Policy Shakes Up Local Scene

A sweeping reform is set to hit pubs in Alice Springs as…

Iran-US Nuclear Negotiations: Breakthrough in Guiding Principles, Yet Deal Remains Elusive

In brief A US official said Iran would make detailed proposals in…
Coles tells court shoppers care about 'fair dinkum' discounts

Coles Reveals Shopper Loyalty Hinges on Authentic Discounts: A Courtroom Insight

Coles has stood by its “down down” discount strategy, asserting that customers…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…

Tilda Swinton and Javier Bardem Lead Stars in Criticizing Berlin Film Festival’s Silence on Gaza Crisis

In brief Many signatories to the letter are artists who have presented…
Man to face trial over 40 years after granny's 'reprehensible' rape

Justice Delayed: Man Faces Trial for Heinous 1983 Rape of Grandmother

Warning: This article includes content that may be distressing to some readers.…
The Australian Education Union is urging the Victorian Government to trial a four-day work week for teachers to avoid future recruitment issues.

Proposal for a Four-Day Work Week for Teachers Gains Momentum

The Australian Education Union is urging the Victorian government to trial a…