Share this @internewscast.com
In a gripping scene reminiscent of an action film, suspected mobile phone thieves found themselves thwarted by the Metropolitan Police’s elite ‘interceptor’ unit. One suspect was dramatically knocked from his moped before he could flee.
The force released this compelling footage on Thursday, showcasing plainclothes officers in pursuit of alleged criminals using a combination of marked vehicles, electric bikes, and cutting-edge drones. This multi-pronged approach highlights the department’s commitment to tackling crime with innovative methods.
Captured on body-worn cameras, the video reveals police interceptors apprehending a hooded suspect, sprawled on the road after a strategic stop by the officers. The footage transitions to sweeping drone shots over London, illustrating the advanced technology at play in identifying wrongdoers.
In another tense encounter, officers piloting a squad car engage in a high-speed chase, targeting a separate suspect believed to be involved in a robbery with a stolen motorcycle. An officer’s voice crackles over the radio, confirming suspicions about the motorcycle’s illicit use.
The pursuit reaches a climax as the interceptors skillfully maneuver their Skoda, ramming the suspect’s moped. This bold move sends the suspect crashing against the car’s bonnet before tumbling to the ground.
With the suspect raising his hands in a gesture of surrender, the officers swiftly move in to apprehend him, bringing the dramatic chase to a close. This incident underscores the relentless efforts of the Metropolitan Police to combat street crime effectively.
They jump out of the car and run towards the suspect as one interceptor leaps over the moped and tackles the alleged phone thief.
In a separate case, bodycam footage shows the moment another suspected thief is arrested by interceptors, with one officer saying: ‘We’ve got the rider being detained.’
Pictured: Bodycam footage shows the moment a suspected phone thief is knocked off his moped by police officers
Pictured: Interceptors leap out of the car and charge towards the suspect before he can escape
Pictured: A suspected phone thief is arrested by interceptors following a police chase
Further drone footage and body worn video shows officers tracking a suspect thief and the high-speed chase of another offender as the interceptor, on a motorcycle, blares the police siren and flashes the blue lights.
In the post on X (formerly Twitter), the Met said: ‘Three mopeds, three very bad getaway plans.
‘Caught by the interceptors in under two minutes and it was game over.’
The Daily Mail has approached the force for comment.
In its ‘largest ever crackdown’ on phone thefts in London, the Met announced earlier this week it has slashed the number of cases by 10,000 in the past year.
The force said on Tuesday that in the last four weeks alone officers have made 248 arrests related to phone theft and seized around 770 stolen devices as part of ‘intensified activity’ across the capital to identify and arrest suspects.
Offences in London have fallen from 81,365 in 2024 to 71,391 last year, representing a 12.3 per cent decline in cases.
Drones, e-bikes and live facial recognition have been used to catch offenders.
Children as young as 14 years old are being recruited to steal phones in London. This image shows the moment police officers smashed into the home of a boy, 16, suspected of being a prolific phone thief
The boy, who was wearing an ankle tag having been caught previously stealing phones, had allegedly stolen devices on behalf of a criminal gang which would ship them to Algeria
Using these technologies in the West End, Met officers identified suspects in known phone theft hotspots alongside police interceptors, who form part of a specialist unit targeting robberies and thefts involving cars, mopeds and e‑bikes and are trained in ‘advanced pursuit tactics’.
The force arrested 32 offenders during a recent operation targeting an organised criminal gang responsible for large-scale phone theft across the capital.
Officers discovered that children as young as 14 years old were being paid hundreds of pounds to steal phones, with incentives advertised on social media platforms.
The Daily Mail joined Scotland Yard officers on a dawn raid to arrest a teenager who would travel to a nearby train station at 6am to snatch phones from commuters before cycling to school.
The 16-year-old was already wearing an ankle tag having been caught stealing multiple phones previously – but continued to offend after being released.
Met Police chief Sir Mark Rowley said he had seen social media adverts from criminals recruiting children and revealed that he has urged criminal justice leaders to get tougher on repeat offenders.
‘We’re arresting people for multiple offences and, frustratingly, they get bailed too often,’ he told this newspaper.
More than 1,000 mobile phones, 200 laptops and other high-value electronics destined to be exported overseas by the organised criminal gang were recovered.
So far 20 suspects have been charged with further charges to follow.
On Monday, February 9, an off-duty officer arrested a prolific phone thief in the West End after he was linked to nearly 20 ‘table surfing’ offences over the past couple of months.
The suspect was in possession of two stolen devices when he was arrested.
These were returned to their owners the same day – and after searching his home officers found a further 39 phones, 25 of which have been returned to the victims.
And on Wednesday, January 28, officers spotted two pickpockets operating near Westminster Underground Station.
The suspects, aged 43 and 32, were followed to Waterloo station where they were detained.
One of the men had an ‘extensive history of mobile phone theft’ and was previously arrested after 300 devices were recovered from a property linked to him, the Met said.
Sir Mark Rowley said: ‘We are relentlessly cracking down on phone thieves and dismantling organised criminal networks at every level – from the pickpockets and phone snatchers operating on our streets, to the handlers who profit from their crimes, right through to the international networks exporting stolen phones overseas.
‘Over the past year, we’ve made hundreds of arrests and recovered tens of thousands of stolen devices.
‘That work has meant 10,000 fewer people facing the stress, cost and disruption that comes with having their phone stolen. It is this work that is making London an even safer city.’
Commander Andrew Featherstone, the Met’s lead for tackling phone theft, said: ‘We understand phone theft is a major concern for Londoners and that’s why our officers are relentlessly focused on tackling it head-on.
‘Over the last four weeks, neighbourhood officers and specialist units have deployed cutting-edge technology – including drones, Sur-Ron e-bikes and live facial recognition – to identify and arrest suspects quickly.
‘These tactics are delivering results. In hotspot areas such as the West End, theft is already down by 30 per cent since April last year.
‘Londoners deserve to feel safe, and we will keep fighting back against the thieves and criminal gangs fueling this crime.’