Share this @internewscast.com

In a span of just 24 hours this week, vigilant NYPD officers apprehended four of New York City’s most notorious transit offenders. However, due to lenient state laws, these individuals found themselves back on the streets shortly after.
The observant officers identified these repeat offenders, who were wanted for multiple thefts, during separate incidents in Manhattan on Monday and Tuesday. By Wednesday, three of the suspects were already released, and the fourth, awaiting arraignment, is also expected to be freed without bail.
Current state bail reform laws prevent judges from imposing bail for non-violent offenses, effectively granting these criminals another chance to roam free.
“Most of these cases are either dismissed by the district attorneys or the suspects are released to find their next victim,” a frustrated officer told The Post. “This creates a kind of ‘permission structure’ for them.”
Among those arrested was Joseph Zimmerman, 56, a man with 47 prior arrests. He was taken into custody on Monday, accused of two pickpocketing incidents earlier this month, according to sources.
Zimmerman allegedly swiped a wallet from a man’s bag last Friday, netting a debit card and $300 in cash. Additionally, on February 2, he purportedly stole $100 and a card from another individual, which he then used to make illegal purchases at a local Foot Locker.
Ronielle Howell, 34, who lives at a Brooklyn homeless shelter, was picked up Wednesday and charged with snatching a phone from a Manhattan straphanger on Feb. 7.
Sources said Howell allegedly followed the victim into the subway and snatched their phone.
Luis Maldonado, 49, has a dozen prior arrests.
He was arrested Tuesday at a subway station at St. Nicholas Avenue and 184th Street when cops on patrol recognized him â Maldonado, who was already on probation, was wanted for allegedly stealing a phone from a sleeping straphanger on Jan. 16.
Finally, Danny Rijos, a 50-year-old repeat offender with at least 36 arrests on his rap sheet, was picked up in the Bronx shortly before 1 a.m. on Tuesday and charged with grand larceny and drug possession stemming from a Feb. 8 incident on White Plains Road and East 241st Street, the sources said.
Rijo’s arraignment is pending because he is hospitalized, and authorities are sifting through several alleged crimes linked to him in different boroughs, according to the sources.
NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch has pushed to clamp down on subway crime, which has been a constant source of complaints from New Yorkers in recent years â but it has been frustrating.
The Post reported in September that 63 career transit offenders with more than 5,000 busts between them had been charged with a variety of crimes, and yet only five of them remained behind bars.
In March, police rounded up five of the worst transit terrors, who had racked up nearly 600 arrests as part of Tisch’s quality of life crackdown, with three of them temporarily jailed.
NYPD crime stats show that transit crime in the five boroughs has been trending downward over the past two years, with a 7% dip â but is up 11% this year compared to the same time span last year.
Through Sunday, the department reported 293 transit offenses this year, compared to 264 in 2025.