Australia to ban Iranian visa holders, citing ‘national interest’

Australia Implements Visa Ban on Iranian Nationals Over ‘National Interest’ Concerns

In a move sparking debate, the Australian government is set to implement new measures that will restrict the re-entry of Iranians holding temporary visas. These new regulations come into effect this Thursday, targeting individuals with visitor visas (subclass 600) linked to Iranian passports who are currently outside Australia.

This decision follows over four weeks after the unexpected military actions by the United States and Israel against Iran. Typically, individuals with such visas are granted permission to stay in Australia for up to 12 months, generally for purposes like tourism, business, or family visits.

However, under the freshly imposed restrictions, only those who are spouses, de facto partners, or dependents of Australian citizens or permanent residents, as well as parents of minors under 18 residing in Australia, will be eligible to enter the country. This policy is set to remain in place for a period of six months.

The Australian government justifies these changes as a measure to enhance the integrity of its migration system, citing national interest concerns. They stress that the ongoing conflict involving Iran could potentially lead to situations where temporary visa holders might be unable or unwilling to leave Australia upon the expiration of their visas.

Officials argue that the new regulations will provide the government with the necessary time to evaluate individual cases while maintaining some degree of flexibility for exceptional circumstances. This approach aims to balance national security concerns with humanitarian considerations.

It warned the war against Iran increased the risk temporary visa holders may be unlikely or unable to depart Australia when their visa expired, and that the new measures would afford government time to assess cases, while still allowing “flexibility in limited cases”.

“There are many visitor visas which were issued before the conflict in Iran which may not have been issued if they were applied for now,” Home Affairs Minister Tony burke said.

“Decisions about permanent stays in Australia should be deliberate decisions of the government, not a random consequence of who had booked a holiday.

“The Australian government is closely monitoring global developments and will adjust settings as required to ensure Australia’s migration system remains orderly, fair and sustainable.”

Under the changes, a person issued an active Permitted Travel Certificate – including people who may have already departed for Australia – or holding another time of visa may be allowed entry.

The changes would also not prohibit people outside Australia from applying for a new visa.

In limited cases involving parents of Australian citizens, “sympathetic consideration” would also be given, the government said.

Developed in consultation with the Iranian diaspora, the changes faced pushback when they were first introduced and passed in parliament earlier this month.

At the time, Asylum Seeker Resource Centre Chief Executive Kon Karapanagiotidis said the rules “shut the door” on people seeking safety in Australia.

“If people already have a visa to travel to Australia, and this kind of violence has broken out in their home country – why would we not want to help them?” he said.

“On the very same day that the Government has acted so swiftly and compassionately to protect members of the Iranian women’s soccer team, they want to slam the door on family members of Australian citizens.”

Burke offered asylum to members of the Iranian women’s soccer team earlier this month – however, only two players ultimately followed through and remained in Australia.

Senator David Shoebridge, Greens spokesperson on Immigration, claimed the government had supported an “illegal” war on Iran driven by “the lie that it was to support the Iranian people”.

“Today, we see with 100% clarity what the Albanese government thinks of the safety of the Iranian people as they shut the door on protection for people with a visa to come here,” Senator Shoebridge continued.

“The Labor Party cynically used the plight of everyday Iranians to justify their support for this latest US forever war, and it has now dropped them when they are no longer of ‘use’.

You May Also Like

NBA Hopeful Who Survived Cardiac Arrest Wins Key Court Victory - Internewscast Journal

NBA Hopeful Who Survived Cardiac Arrest Wins Key Court Victory

This one came down to the wire. Vincent Iwuchukwu, the pro basketball…
California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings - Internewscast Journal

California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings

A rapidly spreading wildfire near the Tahoe region has grown to about…
Iran Fills Key Posts With Loyalists After Ranks Are Gutted, Raising Competence Concerns - Internewscast Journal

Iran Fills Key Posts With Loyalists After Ranks Are Gutted, Raising Competence Concerns

Report suggests IRGC commander holds power, linked to multiple terror attacks IRGC…
Alfalfa Sprouts Recalled as E. Coli, Salmonella Hit 15 States - Internewscast Journal

Alfalfa Sprouts Recalled as E. Coli, Salmonella Hit 15 States

Federal health officials said Friday that a multistate outbreak involving E. coli…
Trump administration sanctions sitting president of the International Criminal Court for 'abuses of power'

Trump Administration Sanctions International Criminal Court President, Citing Abuses of Power

Mamdani, Netanyahu and the ICC Paul Gigot joined Wall Street Journal commentators…
Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines - Internewscast Journal

Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines

ELSENBORN, Belgium — As wildfires tear through parts of Europe this summer,…
John Chell Wants NYPD to Be Nation’s Highest-Paid Police - Internewscast Journal

John Chell Wants NYPD to Be Nation’s Highest-Paid Police

Retired NYPD Chief of Department John Chell, once the department’s top uniformed…
Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home - Internewscast Journal

Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home

A Brazilian woman has been convicted after authorities said she spent more…
Chicago Bears Fall to Cincinnati Bengals 27-9 in Second Preseason Game at Paycor Stadium - Internewscast Journal

Chicago Bears Fall to Cincinnati Bengals 27-9 in Second Preseason Game at Paycor Stadium

CHICAGO — With Joe Burrow, Joe Flacco and Cincinnati’s other starters and…
Highway 1 to Reopen After Big Sur Fire, Easing Coastal Travel - Internewscast Journal

Highway 1 to Reopen After Big Sur Fire, Easing Coastal Travel

Highway 1 through Big Sur is set to reopen Saturday afternoon, marking…
Confident Californians Say They Could Beat UFC Fighters in the Octagon - Internewscast Journal

Confident Californians Say They Could Beat UFC Fighters in the Octagon

Californians appear to be feeling unusually brave, according to a new survey…
WNBA Team Debuts Mascot to Troll Fever’s Sophie Cunningham - Internewscast Journal

WNBA Team Debuts Mascot to Troll Fever’s Sophie Cunningham

The Toronto Tempo introduced a new non-binary mascot before their WNBA game…