Disgusting reason seaside restaurant was forced to shut down

Once a bustling hub for seaside dining, a popular restaurant has closed its doors in disgrace following the shocking revelation that its owner engaged in perverse activities. Kenneth May, who ran Silk Thai on Mandurah Terrace, south of Perth, for 14 years, was exposed for displaying obscene images to young girls, inciting outrage among local residents.

Between January 2023 and August 2024, May repeatedly showed explicit images to minors, actions that ultimately led to his conviction. Earlier this month, he was found guilty of two counts of committing an indecent act in public. Originally, he faced more severe charges in 2024, including possession of child exploitation material and indecent dealings with a child aged between 13 and 16, though these charges were later reduced.

The incidents included May showing an 11-year-old girl a nude photo of himself in front of a mirror during a conversation about puberty at the restaurant. In another disturbing event, he presented a 13-year-old girl with a photo of his genitals in the bar area, laughing as he did so.

May opted to plead guilty to the lesser charges shortly before he was scheduled to stand trial, revealing a pattern of predatory behavior. Further investigations disclosed that May had previously moved to Australia from New Zealand after serving a prison sentence in 2007 for similar offenses.

He pleaded guilty to the lesser offences just weeks before he was due to face trial. 

It has also emerged that May migrated to Australia from New Zealand after serving time behind bars in 2007 for similar offending.

After details of the court case were published on April 5, concerned community members began protesting outside May’s Mandurah Terrace restaurant. 

Organiser Elizabeth Oxley said the demonstration was not about anger but about protection, awareness, and drawing a line as a community.

Silk Thai restaurant owner Kenneth May (pictured) has closed his business following community protests he was allowed to resume working at the eatery

Silk Thai restaurant owner Kenneth May (pictured) has closed his business following community protests he was allowed to resume working at the eatery

‘We protested because our children deserve to feel safe. Silence helps no one, and we have a responsibility to speak up when something isn’t right,’ she told The West Australian.

‘I couldn’t imagine the trauma at 11 and 15… If I saw those photos at that age, I would have been terrified.

‘We’re here to show the children that we’re here for them, but we’re also here to show the others (predators) that we’re awake, we’re alert, and we’re watching. We want them to be afraid.’

On Monday, a notice appeared on Google the Thai restaurant had permanently closed.

A message to diners was posted on Silk Thai’s website and Facebook page, thanking ‘valued guests’ for 14 years of support.

‘It has been a privilege to share our passion for Thai food, hospitality, and community with you. Your loyalty and encouragement have meant the world to us,’ the message read.

‘A special thank you to those guests who continued to support us over the past 18 months.

‘Your belief in us during challenging times has not gone unnoticed, and we are truly grateful.’

A message (pictured) to diners was posted on Silk Thai's website and Facebook page, thanking guests for 14 years of support

A message (pictured) to diners was posted on Silk Thai’s website and Facebook page, thanking guests for 14 years of support

May was barred from stepping foot inside his restaurant after the initial charges were laid in 2024, but was allowed to return behind the counter just last month, working alongside his Thai¿born wife, Aranya

May was barred from stepping foot inside his restaurant after the initial charges were laid in 2024, but was allowed to return behind the counter just last month, working alongside his Thai‑born wife, Aranya

May was barred from stepping foot inside his restaurant after the initial charges were laid in 2024, but was allowed to return behind the counter just last month, working alongside his Thai‑born wife, Aranya.

In court, Judge Craig Astill sentenced May to a 12‑month community‑based order, including mandatory supervision and rehabilitation programs, noting his previous stint in prison should serve as a stark warning and a powerful incentive to reform his behaviour.

‘I want to make clear this needs to be at the top of your list of priorities to deal with whatever issues are underlying this behaviour because I do share the State’s concern that if you don’t, then there is a risk of causing harm to other members of the community, whoever they might be,’ Judge Astill said during sentencing at Perth’s District Court.

‘You have a very inappropriate attitude when you are dealing with children and what might be the appropriate boundaries of behaviour, because it would be few people who would consider it to be an appropriate thing to be showing a 13-year-old child a penis, whatever the circumstances might be.

‘But I accept it wasn’t something that was sexually motivated, or what’s referred to obviously often as grooming behaviour, but it was certainly inappropriate.’  

Judge Astill also said the pictures would have made the victims ‘uncomfortable’.

‘There was an element of persistence, notwithstanding her discomfort, and perhaps as an 11-year-old girl, she didn’t know how to really vocalise that discomfort or how uncomfortable she was feeling about what you were doing,’ Judge Astill said.

‘She has then tried, as an 11-year-old would, to disassociate herself from it, but you have persisted by trying to show it to her.

‘The fact that she was an 11-year-old that you were showing this picture that showed your penis, your stomach, your legs, it clearly would have made her uncomfortable.’

You May Also Like

Portugal Bans Face Coverings in Public Under New Burqa Law

Portuguese President António José Seguro has signed into law a measure that…

Trump Official Urges Return of Academic Suspended Over Jason Arday Row

Donald Trump’s ambassador to Belgium has intervened in a widening academic free…

Camilla’s Gesture to Prince Harry May Ease Sussexes’ Concerns, Bower Says

Six years after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle left Britain in pursuit…

Bronze Statue Stolen From Paramount Military Memorial in Brazen Theft

Veterans in a Los Angeles-area city are outraged after thieves ripped a…

Washington, DC Turns Into IndyCar Track for America 250 Finale

IndyCar drivers thundered down Pennsylvania Avenue on Saturday, turning one of Washington’s…

Mount Fuji Hiker Leaves Exhausted 7-Year-Old Son Behind to Reach Summit

A father in Japan was sharply reprimanded by police after he left…

Michael Wright, The Five Heartbeats and Sugar Hill Actor, Dies at 70

Michael Wright, the actor remembered for standout performances in The Five Heartbeats,…

Newport Beach Police Rescue 5 Dogs From Deadly Hot Car

Five dogs trapped inside a sweltering car in Newport Beach were moments…

Mounjaro Helped Me Lose 6st—But One Pint Now Makes Me Sick

Grace Parkin still remembers the moment a pint of beer suddenly lost…

Burnham Economic Adviser Turns Down Role and Demands Welfare Reform

A former Conservative Treasury minister who had been widely expected to become…

Trump Renews Call to Control Strait of Hormuz as Tensions Escalate

Donald Trump declared that he now views the Strait of Hormuz as…

400-Pound Big Dave Becomes College Football’s Heaviest Player

College football appears to have a new heaviest player entering the 2026…