Trump administration pulling 5K troops out of Germany over Iran war criticism

On Friday, Pentagon officials announced plans to retract 5,000 American troops from Germany, a move reflecting ongoing tensions between Berlin and President Trump regarding the conflict with Iran.

“The Secretary of War has directed the removal of around 5,000 troops from German soil,” articulated Sean Parnell, the chief spokesperson for the Pentagon, in a formal announcement.


Donald Trump waves while boarding Air Force One.
Pentagon officials said that 5,000 US troops will be pulled out of Germany amid the rift between the country and President Trump over the Iran war. AP

He explained that this decision emerged from a comprehensive evaluation of the Department’s military positioning in Europe, taking into account both operational needs and current conditions in the region.

A senior Pentagon source conveyed to Reuters that the President’s response is justified, labeling recent German statements about the conflict as “inappropriate and unhelpful,” and suggesting they hinder progress.

This troop reduction is projected to occur over the next 6 to 12 months.

Germany currently hosts approximately 35,000 active-duty U.S. military personnel, with Ramstein Air Base serving as the largest American military installation in Europe.

On Monday, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz argued the US had been “humiliated by the Iranian leadership.”

“The Iranians are clearly stronger than expected and the Americans clearly have no truly convincing strategy in the negotiations either,” Merz said.

Meanwhile, German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier has described the Iran war as a “disastrous mistake,” accusing the US of violating international law.

In response to Merz’s criticism, Trump fumed on Truth Social that the chancellor “should spend more time on ending the war with Russia/Ukraine (Where he has been totally ineffective!), and fixing his broken Country, especially Immigration and Energy, and less time on interfering with those that are getting rid of the Iran Nuclear threat, thereby making the World, including Germany, a safer place!” 


Two US Army soldiers in combat gear in a field with a Chinook helicopter and an Apache helicopter in the background during the Allied Spirit 25 military exercise.
The recent rhetoric from German leadership was “inappropriate ⁠and unhelpful,” a senior Pentagon official told Reuters, as they also said President Trump “is rightly reacting to these counterproductive remarks.” Getty Images

In 2020, Trump ordered the withdrawal of about 12,000 troops from the country but congressional lawmakers resisted funding the exit and the plan was scrapped when former President Joe Biden took office. 

Trump teased the potential for the latest troop reduction earlier this week.  

“The United States is studying and reviewing the possible reduction of Troops in Germany, with a determination to be made over the next short period of time,” Trump wrote on Truth Social Wednesday. 

The president has also suggested that US troops could be moved out of Italy and Spain. 

“Why shouldn’t I? Italy has not been of any help to us and Spain has been horrible. Absolutely horrible,” Trump said in the Oval Office on Thursday.

“We helped them with Ukraine… but when we needed them, they were not there. We have to remember that.”

You May Also Like

Crypto-Skeptic Rep. Rashida Tlaib Reports Bitcoin Holdings in Savings - Internewscast Journal

Crypto-Skeptic Rep. Rashida Tlaib Reports Bitcoin Holdings in Savings

Rep. Rashida Tlaib, a prominent member of the progressive “Squad,” has opposed…
CHP Intensifies Crackdown on Street Racing Across San Diego County - Internewscast Journal

CHP Intensifies Crackdown on Street Racing Across San Diego County

The California Highway Patrol is stepping up enforcement this summer against illegal…
AI Firms Accused of Hoarding, Destroying Millions of Books - Internewscast Journal

AI Firms Accused of Hoarding, Destroying Millions of Books

A coalition of more than a dozen public interest and consumer watchdog…
Alleged Karmelo Anthony School Shooting Threat Text Withheld From Jury in Austin Metcalf Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Alleged Karmelo Anthony School Shooting Threat Text Withheld From Jury in Austin Metcalf Murder Trial

Prosecutors said Friday that Karmelo Anthony had previously discussed carrying out a…
Another Child’s Room Becomes a Memorial to School Shootings - Internewscast Journal

Another Child’s Room Becomes a Memorial to School Shootings

In south Minneapolis, a bedroom on the second floor sits almost exactly…
GOP Rep. Van Drew Blasts Filibuster as Harmful Obstruction - Internewscast Journal

GOP Rep. Van Drew Blasts Filibuster as Harmful Obstruction

Rep. Jeff Van Drew (R-NJ) used a Friday appearance on Fox Business…
California Democrat Faces HR Complaints Over Small Penis Stunt - Internewscast Journal

California Democrat Faces HR Complaints Over Small Penis Stunt

California taxpayers are paying more than $207,000 annually for Terry Schanz’s government…
Trump administration sanctions sitting president of the International Criminal Court for 'abuses of power'

Trump Administration Sanctions International Criminal Court President, Citing Abuses of Power

Mamdani, Netanyahu and the ICC Paul Gigot joined Wall Street Journal commentators…
Charles Manson's granddaughter reveals moment she discovered dark family secret: 'It was devastating'

Charles Manson’s Granddaughter Reveals How She Learned Her Family’s Dark Secret: ‘It Was Devastating’

In 2022, Sophia Maddox got the kind of phone call that can…
Xavier Becerra Defends Lack of Specifics in His Policy Platform - Internewscast Journal

Xavier Becerra Defends Lack of Specifics in His Policy Platform

Xavier Becerra, the Democratic frontrunner in the California governor’s race, has floated…
Military Sexual Assault Reports Drop for Third Year, Pentagon Says - Internewscast Journal

Military Sexual Assault Reports Drop for Third Year, Pentagon Says

Both formal sexual assault reports and the Pentagon’s estimated count of sexual…
Xandria Harris Found Guilty in Shooting That Killed Bradley Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic and Wounded Officer Tyler Bailey - Internewscast Journal

Xandria Harris Found Guilty in Shooting That Killed Bradley Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic and Wounded Officer Tyler Bailey

KANKAKEE, Ill. — Xandria Harris has been convicted in connection with the…