A late-night crackdown on an alleged Long Island street takeover ended with 15 arrests and seven vehicles seized after police said drivers blocked a roadway with dangerous stunts, burnouts and donuts early Saturday.
According to the Suffolk County Police Department, its Street Takeover Task Force had been monitoring the planned meetup ahead of Friday night, Aug. 14, using intelligence work and social media tracking to follow the activity.
Authorities said investigators determined the group intended to organize a street takeover somewhere in Suffolk County, a sprawling region that stretches across about 1,000 square miles of eastern Long Island.
As the night unfolded, police said they kept tabs on the group as it shifted from one possible gathering spot to another.
Police said drivers spun donuts and performed burnouts while onlookers gathered during an alleged street takeover in Medford, New York, early Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026. (Suffolk County Police Department)
Officers initially dispersed attempted meetups near Commack Road and Sunrise Highway in Islip, then moved to break up another gathering near Route 112 and Main Street in Patchogue.
The group was ultimately stopped at about 12:50 a.m. Saturday near Woodside Avenue and Sawgrass Drive in Medford, where police said a large number of vehicles had essentially taken over and blocked the street.
Police said the drivers “effectively closed down the roadway on Sawgrass Drive” by operating recklessly, performing roadway stunts, and doing donuts and burnouts.
Police finally intercepted the crowd around 12:50 a.m. Saturday near Woodside Avenue and Sawgrass Drive in Medford. (Suffolk County Police Department)
Members of the Street Takeover Task Force responded to the scene, arresting 15 people, impounding seven vehicles and handing out multiple traffic tickets, according to the department.
Those arrested came from communities across Long Island and New York City, police said.
Fourteen of the 15 suspects were charged with both participating in an unlawful speed contest and spectating an unlawful speed contest.
The crackdown comes just weeks after another massive street takeover rocked Suffolk County.
Fourteen of the 15 suspects were charged with both participating in an unlawful speed contest and spectating an unlawful speed contest. (Suffolk County Police Department)
In that incident, police said at least 200 ATVs, dirt bikes and motorcycles flooded roads in Hauppauge and Brentwood, prompting another major law-enforcement response.
Three people were arrested, and 10 vehicles were impounded during that operation, according to Suffolk County Police.
The Suffolk County Police Department could not immediately be reached by News Outlet for comment.


