Border Wall Construction on Reservation Approved, Clearing Way for New Barriers - Internewscast Journal
Border Wall Construction on Reservation Approved, Clearing Way for New Barriers

A federal judge has allowed border wall construction in Arizona to move forward, rejecting an effort by a Native American tribe to stop the project on land along the U.S.-Mexico line.

The Tohono O’odham Nation argued that building the wall along the reservation’s southern boundary with Mexico would amount to unlawful trespassing on tribal land and would, in effect, reduce the size of the reservation.

In his ruling, Judge Richard Leon cited a 1907 federal proclamation that permitted the government to take control of the first 60 feet of the reservation for federal purposes.

“Given the national security and foreign policy considerations related to the border wall, deference to the government is warranted,” Leon wrote.

The dispute intensified after members of the Tohono O’odham Nation put up “no trespassing” signs in response to federal workers visiting border areas to survey potential construction sites.

The reservation shares approximately 62 miles of border with Mexico.

“ANY construction related activities to the illegal and destructive border wall be warned, informed of trespass and escorted off the Nation’s land by law enforcement,” the tribe wrote in an Aug. 8 post on Facebook.

Leon also referenced President Theodore Roosevelt’s 1907 proclamation, which declared that all public land within 60 feet of an international boundary falls under the federal government’s exclusive control.

The proclamation argued it was necessary “as a protection against the smuggling of goods between the United States and the Republic of Mexico.”

Leon further noted that the Tohono nation was not declared a reservation until 1917, after Roosevelt’s proclamation.

The legal win for the federal government comes after President Donald Trump’s administration celebrated 15 consecutive months of having zero border releases at the U.S.-Mexico border last week.

Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin’s office said daily apprehensions at the border are down 94% compared to former President Joe Biden’s administration and are at the lowest level seen in 30 years.

“Again this month, the results are clear: President Trump’s border security agenda is restoring order and putting the safety of the American people first,” Mullin said in a statement.

“DHS remains focused on enforcing our immigration laws, securing the border, and ensuring those who enter our country illegally are removed swiftly. Thanks to the strong leadership of President Trump, we have the most secure border in history,” he added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Kate Douglass Shatters 50-Meter Freestyle World Record in Pan Pacific Prelims - Internewscast Journal

Kate Douglass Shatters 50-Meter Freestyle World Record in Pan Pacific Prelims

August 15, 2026 / 3:01 PM EDT / AP Kate Douglass delivered…
Police Arrest Suspect After Virginia State University Shooting Leaves 5 Wounded: Report - Internewscast Journal

Police Arrest Suspect After Virginia State University Shooting Leaves 5 Wounded: Report

At least five people were wounded in a shooting early Saturday at…
California Traffic Stop Uncovers 30 Pounds of Cocaine Worth $800K - Internewscast Journal

California Traffic Stop Uncovers 30 Pounds of Cocaine Worth $800K

California authorities say they confiscated suspected cocaine valued at more than $800,000…
Ex-Mamdani Staffer Sparks Fury With NYC Synagogue Attack Claim - Internewscast Journal

Ex-Mamdani Staffer Sparks Fury With NYC Synagogue Attack Claim

A co-founder of a prominent progressive digital video agency that produced online…
JEA CEO Investigation Cites Dismissive Behavior Pattern Despite Positive Employee Survey - Internewscast Journal

JEA CEO Investigation Cites Dismissive Behavior Pattern Despite Positive Employee Survey

The JEA Board of Directors convened a special meeting to review findings…
Harvard Professor Faces Backlash for Allegedly Using AI to Draft Anti-Trump Op-Ed - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Professor Faces Backlash for Allegedly Using AI to Draft Anti-Trump Op-Ed

A Harvard professor is facing scrutiny after critics alleged that a Financial…
Florida Man Accused of Stuffing Stepfather's Remains in Suitcases - Internewscast Journal

Florida Man Accused of Stuffing Stepfather’s Remains in Suitcases

A Florida probationer is facing a first-degree murder charge after authorities say…
Iran calls on Houthis to prepare to cut off Red Sea gateway — can the terror group do it?

Houthi Attacks Turn Bab el-Mandeb Into Next Hormuz Flashpoint

A surge in attacks by Iran-backed Houthi fighters on vessels transiting the…
Del Mar Calls for Probe of Rob Bonta Over Housing, Donations - Internewscast Journal

Del Mar Calls for Probe of Rob Bonta Over Housing, Donations

A long-running fight over housing in one of Southern California’s most affluent…
Nevada Man Pleads Guilty in Cartel Firearms Buying Scheme - Internewscast Journal

Nevada Man Pleads Guilty in Cartel Firearms Buying Scheme

A Nevada man admitted in federal court Friday that he bought high-powered…
Alaska Runner Hospitalized After Bear Spray Fends Off Brown Bear - Internewscast Journal

Alaska Runner Hospitalized After Bear Spray Fends Off Brown Bear

A woman out for a run in Anchorage, Alaska, was taken to…
NYC Synagogue Attacker Admits Hate Motive, Held on Bail - Internewscast Journal

NYC Synagogue Attacker Admits Hate Motive, Held on Bail

A man accused of bursting into a Manhattan synagogue during Friday Shabbat…