Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens in Las Vegas Over Rapper’s 1996 Killing - Internewscast Journal
Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens in Las Vegas Over Rapper’s 1996 Killing

Nearly three decades after Tupac Shakur was gunned down in Las Vegas, the murder trial of the man accused of helping set the deadly attack in motion began Monday in a Nevada courtroom.

During opening statements, prosecutors told jurors they plan to show that former Los Angeles gang figure Duane “Keffe D” Davis ordered the 1996 shooting that killed the hip-hop icon.

“Let’s be clear, Duane Davis did not pull the trigger. But he did plan the shooting in retaliation of the beating of his nephew,” Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal said as Davis’ trial got underway. “Remarkably, you will learn that from Duane Davis himself.”

Davis, 63, has pleaded not guilty to a charge of murder with a deadly weapon, with prosecutors alleging the killing was carried out to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. His defense attorney dismissed the state’s account in opening remarks, calling it “fiction.” Davis could face life in prison if convicted.

Palal walked jurors through key moments from the night of Sept. 7, 1996, including video showing members of Shakur’s entourage attacking Davis’ nephew Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson outside an MGM Grand boxing match just hours before the shooting. The panel also viewed images of the black BMW Shakur was riding in when gunfire erupted.

“You will learn, when the opportunity presented itself for retribution, Duane Davis made sure that the shooters were armed and ready,” Palal told the court.

Jurors also heard testimony from Ingrid Stokes, who said she was living in Los Angeles in 1996 and had traveled to Las Vegas for the weekend. Stokes told the court she was in a vehicle following the BMW carrying Shakur.

“We ran into Suge and Tupac in the car,” Stokes testified.

“Did anyone shoot at you?” Stokes was asked.

“Probably, I honestly don’t know. There was a lot of gunshots,” Stokes answered.

Davis, dressed in a blue suit and tie, listened intently as prosecutors claimed he ordered the killing of Shakur as an “act of revenge.”

Some evidence expected to be presented in this case comes from “Compton Street Legend,” a tell-all book Davis published and promoted. But Davis now says he didn’t write it, and claims the book was a ploy to make money.

In an ABC News exclusive jailhouse interview in 2025, Davis denied all allegations.

“I’m innocent. I ain’t kill nobody. Never did ever kill nobody,” he said.

A lot of the evidence presented Monday deals with Compton gang warfare and street code in the ’90s.

As court wrapped on Monday, Davis looked visibly upset with his face in his hands, shaking his head.

What Davis has told investigators before

In a 2008 interview with a federal task force investigating the killing of Shakur’s rival, the Notorious B.I.G., Davis instead talked about the Shakur shooting. He described handing a gun to the men in the back seat of a white Cadillac that fired on a black BMW with Shakur and Marion “Suge” Knight inside.

As prosecutors played audio of Davis explaining the moment Shakur was shot, members of Shakur’s family, including his stepbrother Maurice “Mopreme” Shakur, sat quietly in the audience, staring ahead.

Palal told jurors Davis held onto a visceral hatred for Shakur for decades that drove him to speak.

He said as early as 1998, the defendant talked to the FBI and admitted he had been in Las Vegas the night of the shooting. He spoke again in 1999 to the FBI and said again he was in Las Vegas then but denied responsibility.

In 2009, he admitted to his role in the killing in an interview with Las Vegas police, Palal said.

“And now 30 years later, we’re going to ask you to finally hold Duane Davis accountable,” Palal said.

Will Suge Knight testify?

Knight, who is serving time in an unrelated case, told ABC News he believes Davis will struggle to convince jurors that his past statements were untrue.

“Everything he said and talked about, he already told on himself,” Knight said.

In the years since Shakur’s murder, what exactly happened in that hail of bullets — and who pulled the trigger — was obscured by a lack of physical evidence, feuding cops and the gangland code of silence. Knight, the only eyewitness still living, was in the car with Shakur when he was shot that night, and told ABC News he is no more willing to cooperate with law enforcement during Davis’ trial than he has been for the last 30 years.

“To actually get on the stand, and point somebody out, it’s worse than taking a gun and shooting that man in the head. Because if you shoot a person in the head, they die once. If you get on the stand and you snitch on that person, they die a million times,” Knight told ABC News from prison earlier this month, ahead of Davis’s trial. “Leave me out of it.”

Legal analyst Joshua Ritter said Knight’s account would be significant if he takes the stand. 

“I mean, he’s probably the primary percipient witness to the entire murder. He was the driver. He’s sitting right next to Tupac as he gets shot. He gets shot himself. These are important parts,” Ritter said.

Prosecutors say that, though Davis did not fire the gun that killed Shakur, the admitted longtime leader of the Southside Crips from the Los Angeles community of Compton was the “shot caller” and riding with the assailant.

Prosecutors have a lengthy list of potential witnesses — including original investigators on the case, and members of Davis’ crew who prosecutors alleged were with him in Vegas that night.

Lawyers for Davis plan to call, among others, an expert witness who specializes in false confessions. According to information provided to the court, that witness is expected to testify about coercive interrogation techniques and how memory becomes less reliable over time.

With proceedings expected to last roughly a month, the verdict could conceivably come right on the anniversary of Shakur’s death.

Shakur died at the University Medical Center in Las Vegas on Sept. 13, 1996. He succumbed six days after he and Knight were shot.

Shakur’s legacy lives on both through his music and the mystery that still surrounds his murder. But now that mystery may come to an end as Davis stands trial.

“This wasn’t your typical unsolved cold case where they didn’t have a suspect. I think they clearly had suspects for some time, and now they’ve finally been able to put together the witnesses willing to come forward,” Ritter said.

ABC News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2026 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Coworker Says Lindsay Clancy Cried Over Andrea Yates Case - Internewscast Journal

Coworker Says Lindsay Clancy Cried Over Andrea Yates Case

Margaret Hamp, a former colleague of Lindsay Clancy, told jurors Monday that…
What Sparked the Wild Steakhouse Brawl in Beverly Hills? - Internewscast Journal

What Sparked the Wild Steakhouse Brawl in Beverly Hills?

A night out at one of Beverly Hills’ upscale steakhouses reportedly spiraled…
Hayden Panettiere’s Life, Losses, and Public Struggles: What We Know - Internewscast Journal

Hayden Panettiere’s Life, Losses, and Public Struggles: What We Know

Hayden Panettiere, the actress known to millions for her role on “Nashville,”…
Man With 7 Prior Convictions Arrested 3 Times in 12 Days Over Alleged Attacks on Women - Internewscast Journal

Man With 7 Prior Convictions Arrested 3 Times in 12 Days Over Alleged Attacks on Women

An Oklahoma man has been taken into custody three times in less…
El-Sayed’s Attack on Rogers Backfires in Michigan Senate Race - Internewscast Journal

El-Sayed’s Attack on Rogers Backfires in Michigan Senate Race

Michigan’s Senate contest is quickly becoming one of the most closely watched…
Supporters Rally for Justice for Sweetie, Merced Husky, Amid Animal Cruelty Investigation - Internewscast Journal

Supporters Rally for Justice for Sweetie, Merced Husky, Amid Animal Cruelty Investigation

MERCED, Calif. — Animal welfare advocates and concerned residents rallied Friday outside…
Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees US on Hospital Pass - Internewscast Journal

Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees US on Hospital Pass

A Virginia man who was acquitted by reason of insanity in a…
Biden-Pardoned Drug Trafficker Arrested in Fentanyl Case - Internewscast Journal

Biden-Pardoned Drug Trafficker Arrested in Fentanyl Case

An Atlanta man whose federal fentanyl sentence was commuted by former President…
Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows - Internewscast Journal

Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows

New South Wales is preparing to launch Australia’s first state-run gun buyback…
Trump’s World Liberty Wins Early Approval to Launch Crypto Bank - Internewscast Journal

Trump’s World Liberty Wins Early Approval to Launch Crypto Bank

A trust firm connected to the Trump family’s cryptocurrency venture, World Liberty…
ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act - Internewscast Journal

ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act

Tom Homan slams calls to abolish ICE as border enforcement hits records…
Lindsay Clancy Trial: Psychosis Searches Before Kids’ Deaths - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy Trial: Psychosis Searches Before Kids’ Deaths

PLYMOUTH, Mass. — In the weeks before Lindsay Clancy strangled her three…