Roberto De Zerbi Says Tottenham Are Not Finished in Transfer Market as £400m Overhaul Continues - Internewscast Journal
Roberto De Zerbi Says Tottenham Are Not Finished in Transfer Market as £400m Overhaul Continues

Roberto De Zerbi says Tottenham’s hierarchy have kept their word over backing him in the transfer market, with Spurs moving closer to an eye-catching deal for Manchester City winger Savinho that could rise to £85million.

The Tottenham boss also made clear that the club’s summer business is far from over. Spurs are continuing to work on a move for another City player, Omar Marmoush, while Liverpool forward Cody Gakpo remains firmly on their wanted list.

Should those deals be completed, Tottenham’s spending would climb towards £400m across nine new signings, underlining a dramatic shift in strategy for a club long accused of being too cautious in the transfer market.

‘But what we are doing is not for the coach. It’s for the club, for the fans, for the history of the club, for the pride of the club, and for the level of the club. This moment is crucial. We have to change the mood completely.’

De Zerbi also reflected on his short spell in charge at the end of last season, when Tottenham avoided relegation by beating Everton on the final day. He described those seven games as ‘maybe the best moment in football for me’.

Roberto De Zerbi thanked Tottenham's board for fulfilling their promise of backing him

Roberto De Zerbi has praised Tottenham’s board for delivering on their promise to support him

After two consecutive 17th-place finishes, De Zerbi said he intends to set ambitious targets for Spurs, although he insisted it is still too early to define them publicly.

‘Now is not the right moment,’ said De Zerbi. ‘Now is the moment to think about Brentford, to complete the transfer market and then to follow the first two targets – to find the soul of the team and the style of play.

‘Then we can fix what target you want without arrogance but also with big ambitions because this is Tottenham, not another smaller team.

‘When we have finished in this transfer market, for a long time we don’t need many things and we can work all together in the right condition, in the right direction, to build step by step something special, or anyway to go to compete for the top of the table.

‘Not maybe now. Or maybe yes, I don’t know. But we have the squad enough to play in every stadium in the right way.’

De Zerbi confirmed Micky van de Ven as his new captain with four vice-captains in order, Pedro Porro, Ben Davies, James Maddison and Archie Gray.

Van de Ven and Porro are not available for Brentford. Davies is unlikely to start and Maddison is not a certain starter after a minor preseason injury so 20-year-old Gray could lead Spurs out.

De Zerbi also said Lucas Bergvall, who told the club he wanted to leave earlier in the summer amid interest from Nottingham Forest and Newcastle, had changed his mind and was committed to staying.

‘He wants to stay and we have no problem,’ said the Spurs boss. ‘He’s a top-potential player.’

Others could leave before the end of the month. Pape Matar Sarr is wanted by Galatasaray. Destiny Udogie has admirers in Italy and Spurs have an excess of left backs. Richarlison, with one year left on his contract, or Dominic Solanke are among others who could leave if Marmoush comes in to compete at centre forward.

Teenage winger Mikey Moore is expected to join Cologne on loan when wingers Savinho and Gakpo sign.

De Zerbi wants a competitive squad of 21 or 22 players and will not guarantee anyone a place in his team.

‘I love speaking clearly,’ said the 47-year-old Italian. ‘Today is the August 21 and every one of those players knows the squad. If one of them doesn’t want to accept the competition inside the dressing room, they can leave.

‘I try to be honest and take decisions to find the best first XI, but the players have to accept if we want to become better, to compete for the top of the table, 11 players are not enough, 15 players are not enough.

‘If you analyse Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Milan, there is a big competition inside the dressing room.’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Vincent Kompany Says Jamal Musiala Collapse Was Linked to Medication Change After Neurologists Cleared Bayern Star

Bayern Munich manager Vincent Kompany has said Jamal Musiala’s two alarming collapses…

Arsenal 3-0 Man City Player Ratings: Gunners Maestro Runs Riot as Tentative Defender Gets 4.5

Arsenal cruised past Manchester City in the Community Shield, lifting the first…