Share this @internewscast.com

In Brief

  • Former prince Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and subsequently “released under investigation”.
  • The police force didn’t name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is usual under UK law.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released following his arrest earlier on allegations of misconduct in public office.

Reports emerged on Thursday night (Thursday morning local time) that plain-clothed officers and unmarked police vehicles had arrived at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in eastern England. By Friday morning, he was seen leaving Aylsham Police Station in Norfolk.

Thames Valley Police, responsible for areas west of London where Mountbatten-Windsor previously resided, announced that he had been “released under investigation” shortly after.

The police stated, “We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded.”

Earlier, the agency indicated it was “assessing” claims that he had sent trade documents to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010.

In compliance with UK law, the police did not publicly identify Mountbatten-Windsor by name.

The arrest

When asked if Mountbatten-Windsor had been arrested, police pointed to a statement saying they had arrested a man in his 60s.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” the Thursday evening statement said.

“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.”

Police officers standing by a gate with a car parked nearby
In a statement, Thames Valley police said it was also “carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk” as part of the investigation. Source: Getty / Leon Neal

Thames Valley Police officers were also searching the mansion on the King’s Windsor estate where Mountbatten-Windsor lived until he was forced out amid anger at the Epstein revelations.

Police have previously said misconduct in public office, which is a ‘Common Law’ offence and is not covered by written statute legislation, involved “particular complexities”.

Mountbatten-Windsor, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, and said he regrets their friendship.

King Charles’ response

The arrest of the senior royal, eighth in line to the throne, is unprecedented in modern times.

“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” King Charles said in a statement.

Although Buckingham Palace was not informed in advance about the arrest, Charles said the authorities had the family’s “full and wholehearted support and cooperation”.

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” the monarch said in his statement.

“Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

Were Mountbatten-Windsor to ultimately face criminal charges, he would join a very small group of senior British royals who have formally been accused of offences.

What do we know about the allegations?

Mountbatten-Windsor’s office didn’t respond to a request for comment, and he hasn’t spoken publicly since the release of more than three million pages of documents by the US government relating to Epstein, who was convicted of soliciting prostitution from a minor in 2008.

Those files suggested Mountbatten-Windsor had in 2010 forwarded to Epstein reports about Vietnam, Singapore and other places he had visited on official trips as the government’s special representative for trade and investment.

He was forced to step down from that role in 2011 after his close links to Epstein first emerged.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” Thames Valley’s assistant chief constable Oliver Wright said in a statement Thursday night.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Meanwhile, former UK prime minister Gordon Brown has also called for a police investigation into the extent of Epstein’s trafficking of women without proper checks by the authorities through London’s Stansted Airport, saying this had been overlooked by previous inquiries into Mountbatten-Windsor.

Essex Police said on Wednesday it was looking into the issue.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
The death of Ruben Ray Martinez, 23, would mark the earliest of at least six deadly shootings by federal officers since the start of a nationwide immigration crackdown in President Donald Trump's second term.

Shocking Incident: Texas Man Fatally Shot by Federal Immigration Agent – Uncover the Full Story

Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in…

UN Unveils Disturbing Evidence: Genocidal Atrocities Surface in Sudan

In brief The mission warned that “urgent protection of civilians is needed,…
Blood test pathologist blood sample

Revolutionary Blood Test Offers Insight into Alzheimer’s Onset Timing

A new blood test could be able to clock when someone may…
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

UK Government Weighs Historic Decision: Potential Removal of Former Prince from Royal Succession

Despite recent controversy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains the eighth person in line to…
Gallipoli Barracks, Brisbane

Shocking Incident at Brisbane Military Base: Woman Arrested for Stabbing Man

A crime scene has been declared at Gallipoli Barracks after a man…

Breaking: US Supreme Court Overturns Trump’s Controversial Global Tariffs – What This Means for International Trade

Key Points In a 6-3 decision, the justices ruled that the law…
Someone holding a handful of Australian cash.

Massive Cash Boost: Over 5 Million Australians Set to Benefit Soon!

More than five million Australians receiving social security payments, half of whom…
'No justice': Hit-run victim's family slam punishment

Outrage Over Lenient Sentence: Hit-and-Run Victim’s Family Demands Justice

WARNING: This article contains the names of deceased Indigenous people. The family…
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…

Trump Promises to Unveil UFO and Alien Secrets: What Could Be Revealed?

IN BRIEF Trump’s move comes after former US president Barack Obama said…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…

Tragic Outcomes From Dual Mental Health Facility Escapes Spur Call for ‘Urgent’ Reform

IN BRIEF Advocates say the mental health system is too focused on…