FBI Planning To Search Pence’s Home For Classified Documents
Share this @internewscast.com


Topline

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is planning to search former Vice President Mike Pence’s Indiana home for classified documents in the coming days, according to multiple reports, in yet another FBI visit to a top official’s house after a similar inspection of President Joe Biden’s vacation home Wednesday did not uncover any sensitive records.

Key Facts

The Justice Department and Pence’s lawyers are reportedly still working out details of the search, which is not expected to involve prosecutors obtaining a warrant.

Pence’s lawyer said last week that several classified documents were found at the former vice president’s Carmel, Indiana, home and quickly turned over to authorities.

The attorney, Greg Jacob, told the National Archives the documents arrived there by accident, claiming Pence was “unaware of the existence of the records.”

The FBI declined to comment and the Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Forbes.

Key Background

The discovery of classified documents at Pence’s house came weeks after the White House acknowledged sensitive records were found inside Biden’s former private office at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, which has snowballed into a larger legal issue for the president. Attorney General Merrick Garland appointed a special counsel on January 12 to oversee the investigation into Biden’s potential mishandling of classified records, after another tranche of documents were found at Biden’s home in Wilmington, Delaware. Like Pence, Biden has claimed the records were kept by accident, and the White House has said the special counsel probe will find there was no wrongdoing. The Justice Department has not stated Pence is the subject of any formal probe.

Tangent

Many Republicans have compared the discovery of classified documents at Pence’s and Biden’s homes to the investigation into former President Donald Trump’s alleged mishandling of records, but Trump’s situation has some key differences. Representatives for Pence and Biden have said only a handful of classified records were discovered, which were immediately turned over to authorities. Trump, meanwhile, had hundreds of classified records seized during an FBI raid in August after the Justice Department said he spent months dodging a subpoena legally requiring him to turn over the documents. Trump has also denied any wrongdoing, claiming—without evidence—he declassified the documents before leaving office. Presidents and their administrations are required to turn over sensitive records to the National Archives upon leaving office in accordance with the Presidential Records Act.

Surprising Fact

The National Archives sent letters to former presidents and vice presidents last week asking them to carry out searches for classified records.

Further Reading

FBI Finds No Classified Documents At Biden’s Rehoboth Home, His Lawyer Says (Forbes)

Classified Documents Found At Mike Pence’s Home (Forbes)

Biden: ‘I Don’t Know’ Contents Of Classified Documents Found In Private Office (Forbes)

Special Counsel Appointed To Investigate Biden’s Handling Of Classified Material (Forbes)

Biden’s Team Finds Another Batch Of Government Records After Discovering Classified Docs In Private Office, Reports Say (Forbes)

Mar-A-Lago Raid: FBI Investigating Whether Trump Violated These 3 Statutes (Forbes)

National Archives Asks Former Presidents And Vice Presidents To Search For Classified Records (Forbes)

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Trump Imposes 10% Tariff on UK and 20% on EU, Investors Prepare for Trade War Market Volatility

Donald Trump has revealed his tariffs, hitting the UK with a baseline…

Donald Trump Sparks Rush for US Concessions Ahead of Tariff Implementation

Donald Trump’s decision to impose sweeping tariffs on US trade partners —…

Market Turmoil: Trump’s Tariffs Hit Harder Than Expected, FTSE Falls Despite 10% Decline in UK

Global stock markets traded sharply lower on Thursday morning as investors crowded…

Amazon and AppLovin Place Bids for TikTok Amid Looming Deadline

Tech companies are rushing last-minute bids for TikTok as the April 5…

The Hard Work Behind the Blockbuster Movie ‘Novocaine’

Looking for a neat way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of your…

Donald Trump Intensifies Global Trade Disputes with Comprehensive Tariff Measures

Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for free Donald Trump has launched…

Britain’s Important Trade Secret: Starmer Should Carefully Consider the Extent of His ‘Deal’ with Trump, Advises Alex Brummer

Trade group The City UK might have been advised to have postponed…

Discover the Hottest Side Hustle in Your City: The Fastest-Growing Opportunity!

Looking to start a side hustle? You’re in good company: 36% of…

JASON GROVES insight: Despite all the flattery, the Prime Minister must persevere following Trump’s tariff measures.

Five weeks ago, Keir Starmer basked in the glow of Donald Trump’s…

Starmer Cautions on ‘Economic Fallout’ as Trump Negotiations Collapse, Leading to Tariffs

Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for free Sir Keir Starmer has…