Share this @internewscast.com


United States President Donald Trump said he had been told killings in Iran’s crackdown on protests were easing and that he believed there was no current plan for large-scale executions, adopting a wait-and-see posture after earlier threatening intervention.
After Iran’s foreign minister said Iran had “no plan” to hang people, Iranian state media on Thursday reported a 26-year-old man arrested during protests in the city of Karaj would not be given the death sentence.
Rights organisation Hengaw, which reported earlier this week that Erfan Soltani was due to be executed on Wednesday, said a previously communicated order for his execution had been postponed, citing his relatives.
In a social media post on Thursday, Trump responded to a news report that an Iranian protester was no longer being sentenced to death, writing: “This is good news. Hopefully, it will continue!”

Former President Donald Trump claimed on Wednesday that he received information from “very important sources on the other side” indicating a decrease in violence during the ongoing crackdown in Iran.

He did not rule out potential US military action but said his administration had received a “very good statement” from Iran.
Iranian state media said while Soltani was being charged with colluding against “internal security and propaganda activities against the regime”, the death penalty does not apply to such charges.

His remarks caused a shift in the markets, with oil prices dropping from their recent highs and gold prices retreating from a record peak on Thursday. Trump has consistently threatened to support Iranian protesters, as the nation’s clerical authorities have aggressively suppressed widespread demonstrations since December 28.

Nonetheless, the United States intensified its pressure on Iran by implementing sanctions against five Iranian officials accused of orchestrating the crackdown. Additionally, the U.S. announced it was closely monitoring the financial movements of Iranian leaders’ assets to international banks.

People inside Iran, reached by Reuters news agency on Wednesday and Thursday, said protests appeared to have abated since Monday. Information flows have been hampered by a week-long internet blackout.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Thursday that the government was trying to address some of the economic problems that first spurred the protests, adding that it intended to tackle corruption and foreign exchange rates and that this would improve purchasing power for poorer people.

The group of seven countries has expressed readiness to impose further sanctions on Iran if the government continues its oppressive actions against protesters.

The US treasury department imposed sanctions on the secretary of the Supreme Council for National Security, as well as the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and law enforcement forces commanders.
Sanctions were also imposed on Fardis Prison, where the US state department said women have “endured cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment”.

Diplomatic efforts over the past 48 hours involved Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, and Egypt. However, on Thursday, Trump indicated that he had decided against launching an immediate attack, citing a reduction in violence as his reason.

Four Arab states call for de-escalation

Four Arab states have conducted intense diplomacy with the US and Iran this week to prevent a threatened US attack on Iran over its use of force against protesters that they feared would have impacts across the region, a Gulf official said.

Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman and Egypt were involved in the diplomacy over 48 hours before Trump signalled on Thursday that he had ultimately decided against an attack for now, saying the killings in Iran were easing.

The four countries had conveyed to the US that any attack would have consequences for the wider region in terms of both security and economics that would ultimately impact the US itself, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.
They told Iran any retaliatory attack it launched on US facilities in the Gulf would have consequences for Iran’s relations with other countries in the region, the official said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 3: Matt Utai of the Bulldogs dives over for a try during the NRL Grand Final  between the Sydney Roosters and the Bulldogs held at Telstra Stadium, October 3, 2004 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Matt Utai

Four Teens Face Charges in Connection with Alleged Shooting and Arson Attacks on Utai Family

In a shocking incident early Tuesday morning, former Bulldogs and Wests Tigers…

Trump Convenes Inaugural ‘Board of Peace’ Meeting, Pledges Aid for Gaza

Key Points Donald Trump inaugurated his “Board of Peace” with a pledge…
Former MP on trial for alleged child abuse in car park bathroom

Ex-MP Faces Court Over Shocking Child Abuse Allegations in Car Park Restroom

A former politician accused of sexually abusing a young teen in a…

Trump Promises to Unveil UFO and Alien Secrets: What Could Be Revealed?

IN BRIEF Trump’s move comes after former US president Barack Obama said…

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Taken into Custody

Even after being stripped of his official titles by his brother, King…
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…

Possum Alert: The Unseen Indicator of Australia’s Looming Extinction Crisis

In Brief The lemuroid ringtail possum is one of 34 species that…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…

NT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Once More Despite Prosecutors’ Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Warning: This article contains distressing content and mentions the names of deceased…
Lucy Hughes Pokemon card collector

Meet Lucy: The Pokémon Card Trader Surpassing Her 9-to-5 Income

Lucy Hughes has turned her nostalgic “hobby” into a six-figure salary. Hughes…
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One shortly before takeoff, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Md.

Donald Trump Expresses Deep Sadness Over Andrew’s Arrest

“I believe it’s a real pity. It’s a great misfortune and quite…
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…