‘No Indication’ Three Recent Flying Objects Shot Down Were Chinese Spy Balloons, White House Says
Share this @internewscast.com


Topline

The White House said Tuesday there’s “no indication” the three flying objects shot down over Alaska, Canada and Lake Huron this weekend were linked to the Chinese spying program responsible for the balloon that was taken down over the Atlantic Ocean earlier this month and said the possibility that the objects were “balloons tied to some commercial or benign purpose” is a “leading explanation” among intelligence officials.

Key Facts

The White House has divulged few details about the purposes and origins of the objects, but said officials have not gathered any evidence to suggest that they were “definitively involved in external intelligence collection efforts,” White House National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said.

Kirby said that a primary theory among the intelligence community is that the three recent vessels were linked to commercial operations, though no entity or individual has come forward to claim them.

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) said military officials “didn’t rule anything out other than they don’t think they are balloons on the order of the Chinese balloon,” he told Axios, following a classified briefing on Tuesday, where Hawley said military brass described the three most recent objects as “unidentified aerial platforms.”

None of the three objects shot down over Alaska on Friday, Canada on Saturday and Lake Huron on Sunday have been recovered amid challenging winter weather conditions, White House National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said Tuesday.

Key Background

The Biden Administration on Monday debunked speculation that the three most recent objects shot down were the products of alien or extraterrestrial activity but has offered few details about their origins or purposes otherwise. The White House first announced on February 2 that a Chinese surveillance balloon had been identified above Alaska on January 28 and was hovering over Billings, Mont. It traveled east to the Atlantic Ocean and was shot down off the coast of South Carolina on February 4. Less than a week later, the U.S. military shot down a second object above Alaska on Friday, a third object above Canada on Saturday and a fourth vessel above Lake Huron on Sunday. The White House said Monday that the Pentagon did not detect any communications signals coming from the three most recent objects, which were shot down, in part, because they were flying near civilian air space. The Chinese surveillance balloon was much larger in size and flying above air traffic boundaries, officials have said.

Tangent

The U.S. Navy has recovered “significant debris from the site” where the Chinese surveillance balloon was taken down, including “all of the priority sensors and electronics pieces as well as large sections of the structure,” the U.S. military’s Northern Command said in a statement released Monday.

Surprising Fact

The first missile U.S. fighter jets fired at the object hovering over Lake Huron missed the target and landed “harmlessly” in the water, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley told reporters on Tuesday at an international defense meeting in Brussels.

Further Reading

U.S. Recovers ‘Sensors And Electronics’ From China’s Balloon—Other Vessels Still A Mystery (Forbes)

Aliens Weren’t Behind Most Recent Flying Objects, White House Says—But Still Unclear Who Was (Forbes)

Objects Shot Down Over North America Part Of A ‘Pattern,’ Trudeau Says (Forbes)

U.S. Fighter Missed First Shot At Lake Huron Object, General Says (Forbes)

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

China Imposes 34% Tariffs in Response to US Imports

Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for free China has announced tariffs…

How a Single Question Transformed This Entrepreneur’s Life Path

Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own. Heather Lowery was working…

Britain’s Important Trade Secret: Starmer Should Carefully Consider the Extent of His ‘Deal’ with Trump, Advises Alex Brummer

Trade group The City UK might have been advised to have postponed…

Protecting Your Investments During the Ongoing Trump Trade War

Don’t panic, stay diversified, focus on the long-term, and look out for…

Software Engineers Offer $10,000 Reward for Job Referrals

Would you pay to land a job? A software engineer went viral…

Discover the Hottest Side Hustle in Your City: The Fastest-Growing Opportunity!

Looking to start a side hustle? You’re in good company: 36% of…

JASON GROVES insight: Despite all the flattery, the Prime Minister must persevere following Trump’s tariff measures.

Five weeks ago, Keir Starmer basked in the glow of Donald Trump’s…

What Follows the Ousting of South Korea’s President?

Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free South Korea’s Constitutional Court has ousted…

Impact of Donald Trump’s Tariffs and Trade War on UK Businesses and Consumers

Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs have rocked the global economy, sending stock markets…