Share this @internewscast.com
The US Coast Guard is pursuing an oil tanker in international waters near Venezuela, officials said on Sunday, in what would be the second such operation in two days and the third in less than two weeks if successful.
“The United States Coast Guard is in active pursuit of a sanctioned dark fleet vessel that is part of Venezuela’s illegal sanctions evasion,” a US official said. “It is flying a false flag and under a judicial seizure order.”
Another official told Reuters news agency that the tanker was under sanctions, but added that it had not been boarded so far and that interceptions can take different forms — including by sailing or flying close to vessels of concern.

Officials, speaking anonymously, declined to provide a precise location for the operation or reveal the name of the vessel involved. However, the British maritime risk management group Vanguard and a US maritime security source have identified the ship as Bella 1. This crude oil carrier appears on the US Treasury Department’s sanctions list.

Bella 1 was empty when it was approaching Venezuela on Sunday local time, according to TankerTrackers.com, an online service monitoring oil shipments and storage.

In 2021, Bella 1 was documented transporting Venezuelan oil to China, according to internal documents from the state-owned company PDVSA. Additionally, the vessel monitoring services reported that it had previously been used to carry Iranian crude.

Alongside this information, an almost eight-minute video was posted, featuring aerial footage that captured a helicopter hovering just above the deck of a large tanker at sea.

The US “apprehended” an oil tanker off Venezuela on Saturday, a move Caracas deemed a “theft and kidnapping”, in the latest salvo of a pressure campaign by Washington.
It was the second time in two weeks that US forces have interdicted a tanker in the region, and comes days after President Donald Trump announced a blockade of “sanctioned oil vessels” heading to and leaving Venezuela.
“In a pre-dawn action early this morning on Dec. 20, the US Coast Guard with the support of the Department of War apprehended an oil tanker that was last docked in Venezuela,” US homeland security chief Kristi Noem said in a post on X.

Listen to

Caracas decried the seizure as theft and kidnapping, saying “those responsible for these serious events will answer to justice and to history for their criminal conduct.”
A post from the department homeland security identified the vessel as the Centuries and said it was “suspected of carrying oil subject to US sanctions”.
Centuries is a Chinese-owned, Panama-flagged oil tanker, according to TankerTrackers.

An Agence France-Presse review found that Centuries does not appear on the US treasury department’s list of sanctioned companies and individuals.

Could the tanker seizures impact oil prices?

The first two oil tankers seized were operating on the black market and providing oil to countries under sanctions, Kevin Hassett, director of the White House’s National Economic Council, said in a television interview on Sunday.
“And so I don’t think that people need to be worried here in the US that the prices are going to go up because of these seizures of these ships,” Hassett said on US broadcaster CBS.

“There’s just a couple of them, and they were black market ships.”

But one oil trader told Reuters that the seizures may push oil prices slightly higher when Asian trading resumes on Monday.
“We might see prices increasing modestly at the opening, considering market participants could see this as an escalation with more Venezuelan barrels at risk” because the tanker intercepted on Saturday was not under US sanctions, UBS analyst Giovanni Staunovo said.
Another analyst said the seizures raise geopolitical risks and are likely to increase friction in the shadow fleet of vessels that move oil from sanctioned countries like Venezuela, Russia and Iran.
The seizures could legitimise and encourage Ukraine to continue attacking Russian vessels and possibly encourage Europe to detain Moscow-linked dark fleet vessels as well, said Matias Togni, oil shipping analyst at NextBarrel.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Health insurance hike to 'push many households to the edge'

Impending Health Insurance Increase Poised to Strain Household Budgets

Australians are about to be hit with the largest average price hike…

Iran-US Nuclear Negotiations: Breakthrough in Guiding Principles, Yet Deal Remains Elusive

In brief A US official said Iran would make detailed proposals in…
Brandan Koschel attended the March for Australia protest alongside hundreds of others winding their way through Sydney's city centre.

White Supremacist Sentenced for Incendiary Australia Day Speech

A man who threw his support behind neo-Nazis and spouted anti-Semitic remarks…
24 cats were taken from the woman, who is not allowed to be in the care of more than five felines.

Victorian Property Raid Uncovers Dozens of Animals in Distress: Serial Cruelty Offender Under Investigation

A serial animal cruelty offender, who a court found has been abusing…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…

Exposing the Exploitation: Urgent Oversight Needed as NDIS Providers Threaten First Nations’ Vulnerable

Individuals with disabilities, considered vulnerable, are being lured with monetary incentives, food,…
SA Police has released the first picture of missing 4-year-old boy Gus Lamont.

Authorities Conduct Thorough Search of Outhouse and Nearby Tank at Sheep Station in Ongoing Investigation for Missing Person Gus

Today, major crime investigators were observed examining a water tank and an…

Tilda Swinton and Javier Bardem Lead Stars in Criticizing Berlin Film Festival’s Silence on Gaza Crisis

In brief Many signatories to the letter are artists who have presented…
Man to face trial over 40 years after granny's 'reprehensible' rape

Justice Delayed: Man Faces Trial for Heinous 1983 Rape of Grandmother

Warning: This article includes content that may be distressing to some readers.…
The Todd Tavern in Alice Springs is one of 20 venues where the serving of alcohol will be further restricted.

Alice Springs Enforces New Mid-Week Pub Rules: No Meal, No Pint Policy Shakes Up Local Scene

A sweeping reform is set to hit pubs in Alice Springs as…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…
Coles tells court shoppers care about 'fair dinkum' discounts

Coles Reveals Shopper Loyalty Hinges on Authentic Discounts: A Courtroom Insight

Coles has stood by its “down down” discount strategy, asserting that customers…