Internewscast
Image default
News

Cause for optimism despite deadliest day

Restrictions on visiting aged care homes will be lifted in Queensland after the state recorded just one new case of COVID-19 overnight.

The new coronavirus case related to a returning male traveller in hotel quarantine.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the result was “excellent news” on what was an important day for the state.

Today was the day named by the state’s Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young as when Queensland would know if it had successfully contained spread of the virus.

Health authorities in the state had been on tenterhooks since two women flew into Brisbane on July 21 after contracting coronavirus and allegedly flouted quarantine rules.

Another three cases of COVID-19 were linked to the pair, including one woman who works in a nursing home. But no further cases have been linked to the cluster.

“So that is really good news. No community transmission in Queensland,” Dr Young said.

“That means that we can safely reopen our aged care facilities to visitors again. With all the restrictions, of course, so we still need to be very cautious, very careful at all times, because 

our aged care facilities have the most vulnerable people in our society living in them.”

Only one aged care facility would remain closed for another one and a half days in Pinjarra Hills, after a staff member tested positive. 

Authorities are waiting for confirmation that the potential outbreak is over, Dr Young said.

Source: 9News

Related posts

Leave a Comment