Australia Hanukkah terror attack suspect seen for first time in prison
Share this @internewscast.com

The individual charged with executing a Hanukkah attack in Sydney, Australia, made his first public appearance on Monday through a video link from Goulburn Supermax prison during a court session at Downing Center Local Court.

According to 7NewsAustralia, 24-year-old Naveed Akram had a brief exchange in the hearing, which lasted under ten minutes. During this session, an order was extended to keep the identities of some victims confidential.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund inquired, “Did you hear what just occurred?” to which Akram simply replied, “Yep.”

Freund continued, “Your solicitor will call you, OK?”

Courtroom illustration shows a man on a video screen from a high-security prison addressing a Sydney magistrate during legal proceedings.

A courtroom sketch illustrates the accused, Naveed Akram, participating via video call from Goulburn Supermax prison at Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney on Monday, February 16, 2026.

The suspect in the shooting responded with a straightforward, “Yeah.”

Akram has been charged with one count of committing a terrorist act, 15 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder, and additional firearms and explosives offenses, according to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions website. 

The most serious charges carry potential life imprisonment.

Inset of three victims of the Bondi Beach attack with flowers, candles, and mourners in the background.

Rabbi Eli Schlanger, 10-year-old Matilda and French national Dan Elkayam were victims of the Bondi Beach attack.  (Audrey Richardson/Getty Images/Facebook/Eli Schlanger/GoFundMe/Project Volta)

Akram’s lawyer, Ben Archbold, told reporters it was too early to indicate how his client would plead, according to 7NewsAustralia.

“There’s a client that needs to be represented. And we don’t let our personal view get in the way of our professional application,” Archbold said.

His next court appearance is scheduled for April 8.

Police officers stand near Bondi Beach as they secure the area following a deadly terrorist attack during the first night of Hanukkah.

Police teams take security measures at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia, on Sunday after a terrorist attack targeting the Jewish community during the first night of Hanukkah.  ( Claudio Galdames A/Anadolu via Getty Images)

The 24-year-old is accused of carrying out Australia’s deadliest terror attack targeting a Jewish “Hanukkah by the Sea” celebration at Bondi Beach in December. 

His father, Sajid Akram, 50, was shot and killed in a gun battle with police at the scene.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described the Bondi attack as an “ISIS-inspired atrocity,” saying at a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra late last year that the government had been informed by the Office of National Intelligence of an ISIS online video feed reinforcing that assessment.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Video shows terrifying moment avalanche slams into passenger train near ski resort

Watch: Avalanche Strikes Passenger Train Near Ski Resort in Heart-Stopping Video

A heart-stopping moment unfolded in the Swiss Alps as an avalanche cascaded…
After Bari Weiss cancels UCLA talk, UC President vows to protect free expression

UC President Pledges Free Speech Protection After Bari Weiss Cancels UCLA Event

The University of California’s President, James Milliken, has pledged to uphold both…
Canadian trans shooter Jesse Van Rootselaar's disturbing ChatGPT messages alarmed OpenAI employees -- but company never alerted cops

Alarming ChatGPT Messages from Canadian Shooter Jesse Van Rootselaar Raise Concerns Among OpenAI Employees, But Authorities Were Not Notified

OpenAI, the creator of ChatGPT, had previously banned the account of Canadian…
Chicago Bears news: What's next for Bears stadium plans after Indiana lawmakers make push for Hammond site?

Chicago Bears Stadium Plans Under Scrutiny as Indiana Lawmakers Propose Hammond Site

In a race against the clock, Illinois lawmakers are under pressure to…
Pritzker campaign letter demands $8.6 billion refund for Illinois families after SCOTUS strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs

Pritzker Pushes for $8.6 Billion Refund for Illinois Families Following Supreme Court’s Tariff Ruling

CHICAGO (WLS) — Governor JB Pritzker’s campaign office issued a statement on…
4th Quarter GDP Report Is Now in, and It Could Be Better

Disappointing 4th Quarter GDP Report Signals Economic Challenges Ahead

The economic figures for the fourth quarter of 2025 have been released,…
Kelly Ripa celebrates 25 years of 'Live' with special anniversary show

Kelly Ripa Marks 25 Years on ‘Live’: A Spectacular Anniversary Celebration Unveiled!

NEW YORK — A remarkable chapter unfolds as Kelly Ripa marks a…
Iran covertly repositions strike drones amid Russia drills in Strait of Hormuz, expert says

Iran Secretly Moves Combat Drones as Russia Conducts Drills in Strait of Hormuz, Expert Reveals

In a strategic maneuver cloaked within joint military exercises, Iran has repositioned…
Scott Bessent attacks Gavin Newsom: 'Glass jaw, slow brain'

Scott Bessent Slams Gavin Newsom: Unmasking the ‘Glass Jaw, Slow Brain’ Controversy

Scott Bessent recently delivered a scathing critique of Gavin Newsom, describing the…
NYPD officers let drunk cop back on the road after crash: Manhattan DA

Manhattan DA Investigates NYPD Officers for Allowing Intoxicated Officer to Drive Post-Collision

Two New York Police Department officers are under scrutiny after allegedly allowing…
Trump tariffs Supreme Court ruling today LIVE: SCOTUS strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs, upending plank of economic agenda

Breaking: Supreme Court Overturns Major Trump Tariffs – Live Updates on Economic Shift

In a significant legal development, the Supreme Court on Friday overturned President…
11-year-old accused in adoptive dad’s birthday night killing over video game now faces adult trial: docs

11-Year-Old Faces Adult Court for Alleged Birthday Night Tragedy Tied to Video Game Dispute

In Pennsylvania, an 11-year-old boy made his initial court appearance on Thursday,…