Hearing to probe whether Grace Tame's abuser is fit to face harassment allegations
Share this @internewscast.com

The individual convicted of sexually abusing Grace Tame, a former Australian of the Year, is set to undergo a hearing to assess his capability to respond to harassment charges.

In March 2023, Nicolaas Ockert Bester entered a plea of not guilty to three charges related to using a communication service to intimidate, harass, or offend.

The allegations suggest that the former educator posted comments on social media targeting Tame, now aged 30, during April, July, and August of 2022.

2021 Australian of the Year Grace Tame during the 2021 Australian of the Year Awards ceremony at the National Arboretum in Canberra on Monday 25 January 2021. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen (Sydney Morning Herald)

Bester, currently 73, was absent from a brief session at Hobart Magistrates Court today concerning the case.

Magistrate Andrew McKee has scheduled the hearing for February 2.

The proceedings are anticipated to last all day.

Bester’s lawyer Todd Kovacic confirmed to AAP the hearing was about his client’s fitness to face the substantive allegations and will determine “what happens next” in the matter.

Kovacic, who appeared in court by telephone, said it was the plan for Bester to appear in person for February’s hearing.

An application for a professor to give evidence via video link at the hearing was granted.

Nicolaas Ockert Bester departs the Hobart Magistrates Court
Nicolaas Bester faced Hobart Magistrates Court in 2023 for allegedly harassing Tame via social media. (AAP Image/Ethan James)

The case against Bester has been plagued by delays since he was charged in 2022.

Kovacic has previously told the court Bester had been diagnosed with vascular dementia and his fitness to face a hearing was a live issue.

Bester was convicted and sentenced in 2011 to two years and 10 months in jail for abusing Tame when she was a student at his school and for possessing child exploitation material.

He served one year and nine months.

Tame, who has attended court on previous occasions, was the 2021 Australian of the Year and has advocated for abuse survivors.

Help is available from the Men’s Referral Service on 1300 766 491.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

From Dough to Dream Home: Pizza Chefs Overcome Challenges to Buy First House

Every day at Boss Pizzeria, a bustling Italian eatery in Melbourne’s eastern…
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

UK Government Weighs Historic Decision: Potential Removal of Former Prince from Royal Succession

Despite recent controversy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains the eighth person in line to…
At the end of a work day, commuters ride a metro train traveling from Flinders Street Station to points outside the city center of Melbourne, Australia

Majority of Nine.com.au Audience Achieves 2026 Goal Ahead of Schedule: Discover Their Secrets!

Exclusive Insight: A worrying trend is emerging in Australia as reading rates…

Tragic Outcomes From Dual Mental Health Facility Escapes Spur Call for ‘Urgent’ Reform

IN BRIEF Advocates say the mental health system is too focused on…
Six orcas were filmed viciously killing a great white shark off South Australia's Neptune Islands in 2015.

Groundbreaking Study Reveals True Reasons Behind Shark Exodus from Australian Islands

After six orcas were filmed viciously killing a great white shark off…
Gallipoli Barracks, Brisbane

Shocking Incident at Brisbane Military Base: Woman Arrested for Stabbing Man

A crime scene has been declared at Gallipoli Barracks after a man…

Unlocking the Migration Debate: Five Insightful Charts Reveal the Optimal ‘Sweet Spot

In the wake of the recent Bondi terror incident and the ongoing…
The ute reversed before ramming into the gates of the Brisbane Synagogue, with the incident being captured on CCTV.

Police Clarify Synagogue Gate Ramming Incident: No Terrorism Involved, Investigation Ongoing

Authorities have clarified that last night’s incident involving a vehicle crashing into…

Melbourne Teen Succumbs to Injuries a Week After Tragic Vehicle Collision

An air ambulance team and a mobile intensive care unit equipped with…
Someone holding a handful of Australian cash.

Massive Cash Boost: Over 5 Million Australians Set to Benefit Soon!

More than five million Australians receiving social security payments, half of whom…

Breaking: US Supreme Court Overturns Trump’s Controversial Global Tariffs – What This Means for International Trade

Key Points In a 6-3 decision, the justices ruled that the law…
Jayden Ansara had to act quick when his mother collapsed after having a brain aneurysm.

Young Boy Honored with Bravery Award for Heroic Act in Saving Mother’s Life

A nine-year-old boy who helped save his mother’s life by calling Triple…