Lawyer has 'grave concerns' about legality of raid in Alan Jones sexual abuse case
Share this @internewscast.com

Alan Jones has “grave concerns” about the legality of a police raid when the ex-talkback radio star was arrested for multiple counts of historical sexual abuse, his lawyer says.

The one-time shock jock is accused of sexually touching 11 alleged victims, the youngest of whom was aged 17 at the time of the alleged act of indecency.

The 84-year-old has indicated he will plead not guilty to 35 historical offences, which police claim spanned nearly two decades, during a time when he dominated the Sydney airwaves.

Lawyer Bryan Wrench arrives at Centtal Local Court appearing for Alan Jones
Lawyer Bryan Wrench arrives at Central Local Court appearing for Alan Jones today. (Nick Moir)

Jones’ lawyer Bryan Wrench says there are “grave concerns” about the search conducted during the November arrest.

“We wrote to police regarding our concerns about the search,” he told Sydney’s Central Local Court today.

“(Including) the legality, journalistic privilege and issues regarding legal privilege,” he said.

NSW Police have since engaged legal representation and Wrench hoped the issues would be resolved “as expeditiously as possible”.

He and his client were also very concerned to receive a brief of evidence this morning, containing witness statements apparently held by police since December, the court was told.

The statements had not been previously flagged or disclosed, but police allegedly responded that they did not have a duty of disclosure, Wrench added.

Police had assured Jones’ lawyers they were working tirelessly on the case.

“They seem to be a bit puffed out,” Wrench said.

“Hopefully they will produce everything, not just what they think they need to prove this case against my client.”

Alan Jones leaves Downing Centre Local Court on December 18, 2024. Photo: Rhett Wyman / SMH
Alan Jones leaves Downing Centre Local Court on December 18, 2024. (Rhett Wyman / SMH)

A download of data on Jones’ phone has been served on his lawyers and will form part of the case against him, the court was told.

Jones did not appear in court today and the matter was adjourned until September 18.

He is accused of fondling one of his alleged victims and kissing them on the lips, according to one of the claims made in a raft of allegations.

He is also accused of touching another on the bottom.

Jones’ arrest in November came after an eight-month police investigation into a number of alleged indecent assaults and sexual touching incidents between 2001 and 2019.

The veteran broadcaster vowed to fight the charges after his first court appearance in December.

“These allegations are all either baseless or they distort the truth,” Jones told reporters.

“I have never indecently assaulted these people.”

The charges followed a hugely influential broadcasting career launched in 1985. (Nine)

Jones has been charged with 33 counts of sexual touching without consent and indecent assault, including 11 aggravated charges because the alleged victim was under his authority.

The former high school teacher is also facing two charges of common assault.

The charges followed a hugely influential broadcasting career launched in 1985.

Jones became a feared interviewer who excelled at questioning leaders while dividing audiences with his outspoken views.

He worked with Sydney radio station 2UE before joining rival 2GB, where he was a long-time ratings juggernaut until 2020.

Alongside failed tilts at politics, he also coached the Australian national men’s rugby union team through some historical achievements between 1984 and 1988.

Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).

Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Parents of Toddler Found in Park Grave Enter Plea Agreement

Inset, left to right: Iris Rivera-Santos and Edgar Ismalej-Gomez (Stamford Police Dept.).…

Teen Acquitted in High-Profile Easter Show Stabbing: A Closer Look at the Verdict

The tragic incident involving the fatal stabbing of a ride attendant at…

Mystery Deepens: CCTV Captures Last Moments of Missing Stewardess Before Yacht Disappearance

Sarm Heslop possesses an adventurous spirit, channeling her energy into various roles…

Florida Resident Charged in Girlfriend’s Murder, Initially Claimed ICE Abduction to Friend

In a chilling turn of events, a Florida man who initially reported…

Teenager Stabbed Following School Celebration in Brisbane

A chaotic scene unfolded when a teenage boy was stabbed following an…

Chilling Phone Call Emerges After Scientist’s Tragic Fall

On a grim November night in 1953, Frank Olson, a scientist involved…

Florida Man Unleashes Wild Encounter: Deputies Doused with Bear Repellent in Unbelievable Standoff

Inset: Kyle Young (Indian River County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The highway where…

Mystery Deepens: Unanswered Questions Surround Discovery of Body in Hospital Water Tank

Oklahoma authorities remain engaged in an ongoing investigation following the unsettling discovery…

Authorities Report Children Residing in Unsanitary Conditions Amidst Pest and Safety Concerns

Background: The home where children were allegedly found living in squalid conditions…

Child Sex Offender and Partner Face Charges of Neglect After Children Discovered in Squalid Conditions

A couple from Tennessee faces charges of child neglect after a police…

Intoxicated Husband Claims Wife Leapt from Moving Truck Prior to Fatal Accident

A Minnesota resident alleges that his wife leapt from his moving vehicle…

New York Court Delivers Verdict in Tragic Case of Father Accused of Killing Daughter

Left: Kabary Salem (Lebanon County Jail). Right: Ola Salem (GoFundMe). A Pennsylvania…