Serial child rapist arrested again after release on bail

A serial child rapist has been taken back into custody only days after he was controversially allowed to walk free from a South Australian prison.

The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had been granted release ahead of a sentencing hearing in Canberra for a separate offence, only for ACT police to arrest him over a text message sent to his victim.

Mike Worsman, who was repeatedly raped by the man as a 12-year-old, attended the Canberra court where the offender is being sentenced, urging the judge to jail him.

A serial child rapist has been taken back into custody only days after he was controversially allowed to walk free from a South Australian prison.
A serial child rapist has been taken back into custody only days after he was controversially allowed to walk free from a South Australian prison. (9News)

“The impact of (his) freedom… is that I, and my family, will never feel safe,” Worsman told the court. 

“It terrifies me to think what he might do to my children if he ever found us.”

“The only justice that’s still available to me as someone that’s already been raped is that I’m able to keep the rest of the community safe from this monster,” Worsman added outside court.

The case was adjourned, with the man scheduled to learn his sentence on Thursday. 

Despite initially being granted bail, the man was arrested during a mandatory check-in at a police station. 

Officers allege he violated an intervention order by sending a text message to Worsman last week.

The arrest came four days after the text message was first reported to South Australian police, with Worsman questioning why it took so long.

“The victim voice is something I see as being disregarded throughout the system,” he said.

Worsman had previously campaigned to keep the man in prison after he completed a five-year prison sentence in South Australia for raping another child. 

The man had been permitted to travel unaccompanied to Canberra and was subsequently granted bail pending sentencing.

This article was produced with the assistance of 9ExPress.

You May Also Like

Man Bought Gas to Burn Apartment After Wife’s Body Rotting 3 Days

Inset: Marcus Sanchez appears in court (WTVJ). Background: The home Sanchez set…

Court Filing Seeks Contempt Ruling Against Trump Administration Over ICE Surveillance in Churches

UNITED STATES – MARCH 4: President Donald Trump enters the House Chamber…

Police: Man Set Ex-Girlfriend on Fire, Stayed at Hospital to Silence Her

Inset: Angel Nahle (Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office). Background: Angel Nahle appearing in…

Repeat Felon Sentenced to 27 Months in Federal Prison for Illegal Firearm Possession

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 28-year-old Gainesville man will serve 27…

Man Hid Neighbor’s Body in Tarp for Months After Shooting Him

Inset: Carlos Maldonado (Court TV). Background: Kevin Lychwick at his sentencing hearing…

Police: Daycare Employee Threatened Center to Trigger Lockdown During Heat Wave

Inset: Kayla Canler (Warren County Sheriff’s Office). Background: The Kentucky area where…